Theremini - Control volume of main outs from the Vol knob?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
jeebustrain

Theremini - Control volume of main outs from the Vol knob?

Post by jeebustrain » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:15 pm

So says the title. I'd love to use the Theremini in a live situation. I currently have the CV out hooked to the pedal input on my MF Drive pedal (which I use with my Sub37). I do think it would be cool to add the actual theremin sounds as well. So far it seems that the only way I'm going to be able to accomplish something like that would be to either make a patch using the editor with no sound or use some sort of bypass pedal which would let me mute it on demand.

Are there any other options? I haven't actually cracked over the editor yet, so I'm not sure if it's possible to remap the controls. I thought I remember hearing that the knob was hard-wired to the built-in speaker, though.

cliff d - UK

Re: Theremini - Control volume of main outs from the Vol kno

Post by cliff d - UK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 am

My solution, though somewhat in-elegant is to use the head-phone out rather than the main outs at the rear - I do regard the lack of ready control of the main outs as a serious design flaw, not least because now when I play theremin live I usually have one hand on a synth keyboard & activate the theremin with the other. Again if you make that many changes to the range you are playing over the calibration seems to completely change & the "off" distance suddenly becomes that much further back & I have more than once needed the capability to kill the volume quickly when others have walked into the "trigger field".

While I am here I will share some other findings. Routing the theremini out through your keyboard (if you have aux in facility on same) is not a bad way to go if you are playing the two together & I have been feeding the theremini output through various TC electronic stereo guitar pedals (including the flash back delay & the T2 reverb). I had thought further delay on the inbuilt delay would be over-kill, but no, it just broadens the available sound pallet.

I am still waiting for the user definable scales that were allegedly in the pipe line, or the possibility of being able to change the main preset ones: I'd swap R,2,5 for the Egyptian scale (which is just a mode of the standard pentatonic interval pattern) tomorrow if I could ....

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I use this cable to go from the Headphone jack on the Theremini to my mixer:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

By running the cable straight up and over to the back side of the Theremini it gets a bit of strain relief, and it doesn't have a noticeable effect on either the Pitch or the Volume antenna.

I then wrap it around the mic stand pole a few times on its way to the floor.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Valery

Post by Valery » Wed May 04, 2016 10:50 am

New firmware version 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 have mode "mode ON the Theremin" in advanced settings. If this treatment works, the EFFECT becomes the volume control audio outputs, and volume control continues to adjust the volume of the headphones. When the PITCH fader works as antenna configuration in a normal Theremin. From my observations, unfortunately, this feature does not work on all instances of Theremini.
Good luck in everything! Valery. :wink:

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

Hey Valery,
that is how it works! :( It's completely nonsense. On a real theremin you control the smoothness or the attack of the volume. ( I don't know the proper Therm but i guess you get the point.) Not so on that theremini. It's just another volume control. Maybe a new instrument could solve this. I abandoned mine, too many flaws no software can solve.

Valery

Post by Valery » Thu May 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had the Theremini, which worked wonderfully classic feature of the theremin. But after a while this feature in itself has stopped working. Now I have another device and these functions are also not working. :(
Good luck in everything! Valery. :wink: