New Theremini Editor Available

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
synthguy

New Theremini Editor Available

Post by synthguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm

A new Theremini editor (plus more!) called Theremidi is now available in the app store.

It's a very nice editor, laid out somewhat differently from the Moog offering, but what really sets it apart are the extra features. Some very nice extra features...

The biggest one is the ability to use the Theremini to generate actual Midi Note Numbers (yes, you read that correctly) along with note on and off messages. The volume antenna is used as the note on/off generator...you set a threshold on the editor, and above it triggers a note on, and below it sends the note off. The pitch antenna of course sets the Midi note number, and there are a number of different scales included for this feature as well.
People have been clamoring for this feature since the Theremini first appeared, and this is the first foray into that area, which should delight quite a few users.

Think about it...you can now have the Theremini voice, as well as a voice perfectly tracking from a CV type synth (Minimoog, SEM, Moog Modular, etc) AND a voice from a more modern Midi-driven synth, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!
Now, mix this with the Theremini CCs controlling any combination (or combinations) of interesting destinations on any or all of these voices, shake well, bake at 350 BPM for 10 measures, and Behold Your Creation, Jack!

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

A very interesting feature is that the scales can be different for the Theremini voice and the Midi voice. This makes for some totally unexpected and interesting combinations if you mix the two.

Also included is a 16 step sequencer, with the ability to control things like pitch and filter cutoff, as well as some more unusual destinations like the filter type and the waveform select.
Who was expecting that???

Library functions are included as well to save your creations, natch.

There's even a Randomization feature that whips the settings around all herky-jerky, for when you're feeling bored or lucky. Genius may result! Or not.

Missing here is any way to select the newer waveforms and noise enabled in the most recent firmware update, but there other ways to do that, and perhaps this will be included in a future update.
I was in touch with the developer during the creation of this app, and he was very responsive to adding useful things, like the abilty to have editor show the actual CC numbers of each knob setting, if desired (very useful if you're recreating settings for a Midi controller) and having more sequencer destinations.

This is a pretty cool app, and it brings some neat and unexpected things to the party.

You're probably gonna dig it. :D
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Gordon Charlton

Re: New Theremini Editor Available

Post by Gordon Charlton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:08 am

The sequencer is pretty cool - does great trills and arpeggios, but the app lacks some polish. Moog-style knobs look good, but they are not always the right way to go. Dropdown menus would be good for some functions, and a way to input exact values is something that both ThereMIDI and the Moog app desperately need. Mostly I want, for example, the volume response to be exactly 100% and I just can't dial that up on those knobs. Ugh.

Nonetheless, choice is a good thing, and I hope the ThereMIDI app receives regular updates with more polish and more functionality.

One question - did you manage to find a support forum for the app? I'd rather chat about improvements etc. somewhere that I know the developer is watching than engage him in a private email conversation.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Gordon,
Did you try the MIDI note feature? How does it handle portamento if at all? Is it just quantizing to the nearest MIDI note from pitch gated by the volume antenna? Is it useful? If it works OK I guess I'll give it a shot to connect to a sample library and see what it can do.
Thanks
Rich

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 pm

I was not able to make Theremidi send noted to Animoog, or see any activity from it in Midi Tool Box or MidiBridge. It could be that I'm doing something wrong, but I suspect not. The only thing I haven't tried is changing the speed at which the theremini transmit have pitch and volume messages.

(It's currently at the fastest setting 25ms, although the timings in Midi Tool Box suggest it's a few milliseconds slower than that. Disappointingly not fast enough to use an external synth to replace the onboard one. (Not that the onboard processor is exactly a powerhouse.) if they had put a $200 DSP in it, it would probably have enough oomph to stream data at the speeds required. If MIDI is fast enough, if external synths are fast enough.)

Would it be useful if it worked? I can think of possible uses for it, but you have to try these things to see if they are as you imagined. Well, I do.

From the interface it looks like it sends a note in the selected scale, which does not include Chromatic. I'm guessng, no pitchbend data.

PS. I'm currently focused on Lemur. Totally brilliant app, but it turns out the first thing on my list of things to do is in the Expert category. You don't happen to be a lemur expert, do you?
Last edited by Gordon Charlton on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:51 am

Gordon,
Thanks. For 9 bucks maybe I'll give it a shot.
Yes, Lemur can do amazing things. I haven't used it that much but I can't wait to hear what you'll cook up with it.
Rich

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 am

...and here it is. My shiny new lemur interface.

https://youtu.be/VbKwKOe_Kuw

Link to the jzml file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/638b9jajosoyd ... emini.jzml

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for this Gordon. Very interesting and useful!
Rich