Can I reverse the pitch antenna FAR-NEAR to HIGH-LOW pitch?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
jimbourekas

Can I reverse the pitch antenna FAR-NEAR to HIGH-LOW pitch?

Post by jimbourekas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 am

Hello,

I would like to try the Theremini's antenna with a reverse behaviour regarding the pitch.

Meaning, I would like to get lower pitch (bass) when moving near the antenna and high (treble) pitch when moving away.

Is it possible? Did I miss it in the manual?

Regards,

Jim

Gordon Charlton

Re: Can I reverse the pitch antenna FAR-NEAR to HIGH-LOW pit

Post by Gordon Charlton » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:37 pm

You can. During calibration, when it says hold your hand near the pitch rod, hold it far away, and when it says hold your hand far from the pitch rod, hold it close.

This screws the linearity big time. The low notes will be close together and the high notes far apart. This is because the theremini pitch field is inherently non-linear and is corrected in software. By reversing the field the software now exaggerates the non-linearity rather than compensating for it. Also instead of being silent very close to the pitch rod, it will make a very high sound.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:03 am

Thanks for replying Gordon!

Oh no....linearity issues. But since it's corrected (in software), isn't it really linear at the end?

It's just that I find it kind of "unnatural" (stupid brain brain brain...) coming from the keyboards to have the theremini in front of me and then moving towards the antenna for high pitch...

Maybe if I switch to using the back of my palm fixes the brain interpretation. I will post back the feelings...

Cheers,

Jim

peterdavidson

Post by peterdavidson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:27 am

Very odd idea Jim, all instruments have a higher pitch if the scale or string is on a short range. so for me its logic to have a higher note as you move closer to the antenna, anyway. as for your other q, on the load button in the editor, to the left you have the animoog editor presets, to the right the theremini presets, you can move them back and forth, change save etc, you can also save on you computer, and later load. so that was that.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:33 am

peterdavidson wrote:...on the load button in the editor, to the left you have the animoog editor presets, to the right the theremini presets, you can move them back and forth, change save etc, you can also save on you computer, and later load. so that was that.
To the left of the PC editor, I have the editor presets, they are not distinguished between animoog/theremini/custom presets. How do you know they're animoog?

cheers,

jim

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:48 am

Jim, when I tried it, the non-linearity was very obvious. (Especially in full auto-tune - you can hear the notes getting closer as you sweep through the field.) I think it's because you're not really changing the capacitive field, just lying to the software about what is near and what is far. The software is gullible and not that bright.

Interesting though - I've never heard anyone want to have the pitch field reversed. Mostly people feel the volume field is upside-down and closer should mean louder.

A suggestion - when you are playing do you touch your thumb and forefinger together, tip to tip? This is often recommended as it helps to stabilise the arm. Imagine you are holding one of your chest hairs while you play. The further away your hand moves from your chest, the more you pull on the hair and the higher pitch your scream of pain will be. :twisted:
Last edited by Gordon Charlton on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 am

Hahahhahahahahah

that was crazy funny

thanks

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:21 am

You can also put the Theremini behind you, and move the pitch with your head instead of your arm. Not precisely reversed...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

peterdavidson

Post by peterdavidson » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:35 pm

Well, Jim, in a manner of speaking, as they say, some sounds in the editor are animoog / Theremini based etc, im sure you see what waveforms that goes and so on. we who reply here, do try to help each other out. but i wont bother if you have an attitude. good luck /P

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 pm

:lol: That was a very interesting experience. Not as i would recommend it, but the engine inside is quite a forgiving one. Reversing volume response make some sense. And works quite nicely. And also reversing pitch may make sense to some. I remember, having built a Kit from Australia, and that one had normal or reversed Pitch, both playable, but depending on the tuning of the variable inductors.
I did not expect such a compressed field near the antenna. By reversing the pitch calibration the the zero-beat seems to be right near to the antenna, but leaving still some space to go through zero raising again up to the highest notes!
The sketch in the addendum pdf shows quite clearly what that through zero means.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:23 am

peterdavidson wrote:Well, Jim, in a manner of speaking, as they say, some sounds in the editor are animoog / Theremini based etc, im sure you see what waveforms that goes and so on. we who reply here, do try to help each other out. but i wont bother if you have an attitude. good luck /P
No attitude at all Peter. It's what asynchronous communication does sometimes. If you are referring to my laugh above, it was honest laugh about the expression with the hair pulling from the chest! Come on, it is funny and at same time 100% accurate isn't it? I do understand and agree to your point. I also try to help if I can.
bichuelo wrote:You can also put the Theremini behind you, and move the pitch with your head instead of your arm. Not precisely reversed...
Also using the head or the whole body is valid way to play the theremin(i) as well as bringing in a guitar into the "field".
Last edited by jimbourekas on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterdavidson

Post by peterdavidson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Ok Jim all good then. just to clarify the latest quote, with using the head, wasnt by me..
bichuelo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:21 am
You can also put the Theremini behind you, and move the pitch with your head instead of your arm. Not precisely reversed...
good luck with all experiments ! /P

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:44 pm

You're right, I edited it.

Take care

Jim