I wish that animoog can pass its presets to theremini

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
jimbourekas

I wish that animoog can pass its presets to theremini

Post by jimbourekas » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Now that would be something, be able to share presets between the two of them. I mean, if I already have animoog why cannot I play it using the theremini?

Does anyone else agree? After all, it's the animoog "engine" beating under the hood...

Regards,

Jim

d'ni

Re: I wish that animoog can pass its presets to theremini

Post by d'ni » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:47 pm

jim,
Totatly agree.
I thought that was, what it's all about with that new theremini, right after NAMM 2014 ! :shock:

Satri

Post by Satri » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm

That would be wonderful, but I suspect that's not possible (probably the Threremini can't support Animoog presets directly?). Only Moog can tell us... -- Alex / Satri
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

peterdavidson

Post by peterdavidson » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:04 pm

Just now, i saw the release of the new editor for the Theremini. looks promising, with drag and drop in between presets back and forth animoog /Theremini. for PC and Mac. i havent tried it out yet. but thanks Moog-guys for working on this. lets see what goes..

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:03 am

Well, after messing around with the PC editor, I see the "Load" button which looks for *.theremini files on the file system.

What does this say... ?

digitaldennis

Post by digitaldennis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:28 pm

I would be happy if the theremini could be used to 'play' the animoog keyboard. I know you can control volume, filter and modulation with the theremini with midi, but not the pitch of an oscillator. Seems like a missed opportunity for expression to me.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:08 am

You can do this via midi. I've done it easily.

Just turn on midi in (on the animoog) and you're done

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:03 pm

jimbourekas wrote:You can do this via midi. I've done it easily.

Just turn on midi in (on the animoog) and you're done
I see that you can choose the Theremini as the MIDI IN source in Animoog, but it does not play the keyboard, it can be used for parameters only. Is it?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:53 am

Oh, I see what you mean. You are right.

You already know that you can control all CC midi messages from the two controllers of the Theremini (pitch and volume antennas). By default, theremini sends it's CC20 messages when you trigger the pitch antenna, and the CC2 message when you trigger the volume antenna. In Animoog, you can map these two CC controls (for example, tap on MAP CC, then double tap on animoog's volume and assign the CC2 so that theremini controls the volume)

However, pitch control and note on/off are not CC messages, at least from what I can understand from midi theory. So, in animoog, the programmer does not allow for CC mapping on either note or pitch controls.

Also, if you connect a midi keyboard on the animoog, it works (both note and pitch controls work). Because it's not using CC messages, but special note on/off and pitch messages.

So, either the animoog should allow for a CC-then-bridged-to-pitchbend "input" or the theremini should be able to send pitch bend "messages" (not CC) right from the beginning (maybe with a firmware update).

If neither of the above happens, I would myself play with midi bridging ios utilities (such as MidiFlow or MidiBridge maybe???).

Has anyone tried this?

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Actually, its been quite a long while now since Moog issued a new firmware release. I know they have a long list of Theremini requests. I wonder if a new release is coming soon that will add some features.

jimbourekas

Post by jimbourekas » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:02 pm

Also, theremini can output note/pitch through control voltage (CV)!

What if we used a Qunexus keyboard(or something like it) that transforms CV to midi? By looking here http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... al_1.0.pdf my guess is that you can connect the ipad to qunexus and qunexus to CV out of theremini.

So, does it sound good (at least in theory)???

jim

digitaldennis

Post by digitaldennis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am

I honestly thought when I purchased my Themini, what with it's Animoog engine, that all the presets and sounds would be interchangeable. Maybe Moog could update the Themini Editor software and offer to sell the Animoog Expansion Packs for the Themini. The weakest part of the Themini is the tiny LCD display and it's limited sound library. IMHO.