Theremini Preset Editor

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
synthguy

Re: Theremini Preset Editor

Post by synthguy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:45 am

I saw this post a while back about how to create your own wavetables for the Animoog. Bet this will apply to the Theremini as well, if we get the ability to upload user wavetables.

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/8/25/off ... o-diy.html
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:06 am

synthguy wrote:I'd be curious to hear from others about what they use for Midi control during a performance.

I mostly use a couple of old Digitech PMC 10s, and I have some other Midi hardware that gets used from time to time...a Peavey PC1600 (lots of actual faders) and a Lexicon MRC that was originally designed to be the programmer for their LXP-1 reverb (4 faders). Each of these can also accomodate a couple of volume type pedals to use as controllers as well, which is very useful for hands free control (like when you're actually playing an instrument).

I know that Behringer made (makes?) a Midi controller as well, and there used to be another one called the Midi Gator that was prized by some users.

What else is out there that can send patch changes and CCs that might be useful for cheap Theremini control?
Livid Instruments controllers are working fine with Theremini here.
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 am

Gordon,
One of the first things I asked Moog was if they plan on letting us move Animoog app sounds to the Theremini. Unfortunately from what little Moog can say is that the two are not really compatible. So there's a bit of Animoog under the hood in some way, but not enough to transfer sounds and manipulate sounds. But I have to believe they are working in getting a bigger palette of sounds for the Theremini in some way (and with the new editor its pretty large now).

Perhaps Moog can figure out how to chain sounds on the Theremini to create more the dynamic flow of timbre that you can get with Animoog.

Only three of the seven Theremini wave forms are Animoog based, and those you can control with the Scan Rate, Position and Amount knobs. You can also use the Scan parameters on the Etherwave waveform, so they must have made that wavetable based in the way the Animoog wave forms are. Again, I assume you can change scan parameters in real time so that will be another major thing to play with for real time performance.

You might know however a lot out MIDI foot controllers. Like Synthguy, I'd be interested in what you may have used there.

P.S. To Moog - you might want to add Theremini, Etherwave and Animoog to your spell checker.

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:50 pm

I hadn't seen the Livid Instruments controllers before. A lot of interesting choices there, even a " build your own" platform. I like the visual look of these as well.

Thanks, Bichuelo!
Www.synthguy.com

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I just ordered a Behringer FCB1010 for use with the Theremini. We'll see how it works.
Another thing I've been toying with is a pedal keyboard so I can play some bass harmony notes on a synth with the Theremini. But any decent one is pretty pricey.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx
Rich

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi Rich:

I'll be curious to know what you think of this...I've read a number of good reviews from guitarists using it to control their rig.
It looks like you can program the footswitches to send Midi note on and offs to make it play your synths as a pedalboard. It also looks like you can archive your programming via Midi Sysex.
Cool!

I see that there's an aftermarket firmware available called Uno that adds some functionality and solves a few problems with the Behringer operating system.
Www.synthguy.com

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:11 pm

SynthGuy,
Thanks for the info again!
Looks like a different chip you can buy for about $10 replacing the one in there that adds additional functionality as you say. Definitely have to check that out.

The UnO firmware includes a number of new feature areas:
- Stomp box mode
- Transpose
- Tap-tempo options
- Sysex receive
- Switch inversion
- Note on velocity
- Blocking repeated program changes
- CC momentary toggling
- NO Change settings for switches, expression pedals and stomp box controls

Rich

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:52 pm

I've used the PMC10 set up to send Midi note numbers for various performances. It allows you to send a Note On message when the switch is depressed, and a Note Off when released, turning the thing into a set of faux Taurus pedals (driving the right synth or sampler, of course). They can be programmed to be latching or momentary, to produce pedal tones to play over, and one mode lets you press a single pedal repeatedly to switch back and forth between two selected pedals. Also good for triggering chords (just send more notes).
Www.synthguy.com

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:17 pm

May be a silly question, but, is there anything that could convert the usb midi to midi din for us who dont like to use a computer in our setup ? And who dont use any products starting with I ?

Edit; Would a Kenton MIDI USB Host work ?

Edit; I'm thinking its probably easyer to just get a cheap second hand ipad, I doubt it will become android compatable ?

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:02 pm

I think that the Theremini might work with the Kenton, but it's not that cheap (looks like about $150) and it only does that one thing. For not much more money, you could indeed get a used IPad, which will do lots more. You can use one of those inexpensive "hockey puck" Midi interfaces and have portability, editing capabilities, and Interfacing to other Midi hardware and instruments.

I'm not sure if the new editor works with all IPads, so it would be a good idea to email Moog and make sure before committing to a particular older model.
Www.synthguy.com

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Synthguy.
I wonder if I could use a friends ipad and make/change the onboard presets?
Also, do you still need a hub between ipad and Theramini, or is it just some special apple cable?

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Yes, you could.
Depending on the IPad used, you need to have the camera connection kit that gives you a USB input port for the IPad (30pin for older ones, Lightning connector for newer ones like the Air).

You'll also need to have a cable with a mini USB plug on one end (for the Theremini) and a standard USB plug on the other (connects to the IPad).

You won't need a hub unless you plan to add other USB devices simultaneously to the IPad, like a keyboard, USB audio interface, etc.

The editor lets you create your own presets and easily drag them back and forth between the Theremini and IPad, to and from any preset location. You can create folders that hold appropriate groups of presets, and even email them to archive or share.
Www.synthguy.com

J C Selector

Post by J C Selector » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:15 am

Thanks, I think thats the cheapest option.
Just got my Theremini today and I'm having a great time, also it the first instrument of mine my GF actually enjoyed playing ! :shock:

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Hey Rich:
I was wondering if you got the Behringer Midi pedals discussed earlier, and if so, how are they working for you? I might have a chance to pick a unit up cheap, and was wondering if it is worth it.
I'm also curious about that Uno chip, if you picked one up.....
Www.synthguy.com

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Hey Synthguy,
Yes I got it and recently got the UNO chip as well - but have not gotten around to installing it yet. I've been working so much with the Theremini - testing firmware and apps that I have not had a chance to use it yet. I'll try doing that soon.

Now that the new Theremini firmware is out in official beta, time to start making some more music with it. Also since we've been given the ok to talk about it now, there are some really nice additions and Moog has once again raised the bar for Theremini owners - especially the new Theremin mode, response improvements and NOTE CV function (incredibly useful new firmware features).

Rich