Transtint Dye for etherwave enclosure?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
octohog

Transtint Dye for etherwave enclosure?

Post by octohog » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:17 pm

About to build my theremin kit but I'm wondering if anyone has experience using wood dyes (like transtint) to color the enclosure? Transtint dyes are described as "a solution of metal-complex dyes in a special solvent" and I'm worried it might interfere with the theremin's operation. How did you paint/stain/dye your kit enclosure?

Gordon Charlton

Re: Transtint Dye for etherwave enclosure?

Post by Gordon Charlton » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:25 pm

I am not familiar with transtint dyes, but it is wise to avoid anything with a metal or carbon content. If you are not certain about your dye, paint a sheet of paper and put it on top of your etherwave. If it alters the pitch field, don't use it.
Last edited by Gordon Charlton on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

Vsyevolod

Re: Transtint Dye for etherwave enclosure?

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:57 am

Wood dyes will not affect your Theremin. Most pigments have some sort of mineral/metal base to them.

There are water based dyes and solvent based dyes. Some pigments will hold up under sunlight better than others. Make sure you are getting the correct info about any dye before you buy.

I personally prefer a good dye over any kind of stain. Stain is a colourant which sits on the surface of the wood, obscuring it somewhat. Dye seeps into the cellular structure of the wood and allows the wood to 'glow' through the colour.

Stephen