Does anyone ever sell their theremin?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
sherrynadra

Does anyone ever sell their theremin?

Post by sherrynadra » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 am

I was hoping to "try out" a theremin before laying down $$$ for the "nice" one I think I'd like to have. (Etherwave). I thought i would check Craig's list and call local music shops. They are hard to find around here (Omaha, Nebraska). It seems there isn't an easy way to just experiment before buying. Then I thought the next best thing would be to get an inexpensive one (before I realized it was inexpensive probably because it had no volume loop!! Don't want one without the volume loop!)

There was an Etherwave Standard for sale in Omaha--asking $300 for the same model you can get new for $389. Didn't seem like a great deal to me... So, do people just hang on to their theremins!!?? I would need an amp and a stand, too. I know I could find a stand but I cringe at the thought of shopping for an amp. I wouldn't know a good used one from a cheap bad one to a good new one but not the right kind.... I was just going to go with the Moog bundle for the standard, and if things went well and I wanted more, I could always upgrade to the standard plus later....

So--know anybody out there ready to sell their theremin to a good home?

Voltor07

Re: Does anyone ever sell their theremin?

Post by Voltor07 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:52 pm

The nice thing about theremin amplification is that any acoustic guitar/keyboard amp will do. If you want some coloration to the sound, you can use an electric guitar amp. As you might know, cheap combo amps can be had used. :) People usually keep the theremins they bought, unfortunately, and they do not depreciate as quickly as most instruments.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:31 am

Sorry that I can't remember the source, but it made me laugh:

Used Theremin for Sale
I'm selling because I hardly ever touch it.

If you do own a Moog Etherwave and are thinking of selling it,
consider adding the Etherwave Plus Upgrade instead ($149):
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/ether ... us-upgrade

Having two Control Voltage sources makes this a toy that
won't get left in your toy box. Few people (myself included)
can play pitches accurately enough to make it a serious solo
instrument but, as a dual Voltage Control source, it's one of the
most expressive and audience-wowing controllers ever made.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:17 am

There is a clown on my local Craigslist that bought a Big Briar from a friend for $175 and has been trying to resell it as a 'special vintage' rare Theremin bettercthan the new ones, for $600. (He hasn't sold it in years.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:36 pm

i have seen the odd one on kijiji or Craigslist once in a blue moon, but never a PLUS with the CV upgrade ~which is the one I have and sorry, no - it's not for sale! :lol:
the clowns that make me really L-A-F-F are the ones who post "Want To Buy" Ads on Craigslist esp. when there already IS one of what they want already listed for sale at the same time. :?
Just Me wrote:There is a clown on my local Craigslist that bought a Big Briar from a friend for $175 and has been trying to resell it as a 'special vintage' rare Theremin bettercthan the new ones, for $600. (He hasn't sold it in years.)
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:35 am

It's funny, I have the worlds ugliest cased, most beat up pig of an Etherwave(no cv mods) and though it only gets used on rare occasion, I never think of selling it.
I got it and it had no pitch antenna, so I cut a section of soft copper tube and screwed it in. No clue what the correct length is supported to be, but it must be close as it works well.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."