Does anyone use moogerfoogers with their theremin?

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
spitznagel

Does anyone use moogerfoogers with their theremin?

Post by spitznagel » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Does anyone use moogerfoogers (any or all) with their theremin? Are you happy with the results? I'm now playing my theremin through a Lexicon MPX-110, but thinking of starting to use moogerfoogers instead.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:59 pm

My musical partner Michael D. Peck and I were rehearsing and playing his Etherwave into my Moogerfoogers just last night. From there they went through a Line 6 Echo Pro and then a Lexicon MPX 550. The results were fabulous. Michael seemed to prefer the Mooger Low Pass filter the best. Using the LFO CV from the Ring Mod into the Low Pass' cutoff created some wild sounds.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:50 am

the etherwave sounds "MAN!!!" through the SD
haven't got any other foogers as yet

newname

Re: Does anyone use moogerfoogers with their theremin?

Post by newname » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:54 am

spitznagel wrote:Does anyone use moogerfoogers (any or all) with their theremin? Are you happy with the results? I'm now playing my theremin through a Lexicon MPX-110, but thinking of starting to use moogerfoogers instead.
i've used all my moogerfoogers with my etherwave at different times, but i keep coming back to using just the 101 - at moderate settings, it adds a nice round vocal quality to my volume antenna articulations. the subtle enhancement of the theremin's native sound is very pleasing to my ear, and it seems to encourage me to get a bit more stylish with my left hand.

i mix the filter about 50% dry, with about 20% envelope, set to 'slow', and about 30% resonance. tune cutoff frequency to taste.

overdriving the 101 a wee bit works well also, a bit like an old tube amp.

the expression pedals come in handy when processing theremin, btw. [not easy to get hands on knobs while playing!] . try one on the 'mix' control, or for something more obvious, cutoff frequency.

there's something about the simple elegance of the etherwave that makes me want to use less gear rather than more.

lx

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:00 pm

yeah you must be fairly good then,
i am still an unripe thereminist and feel the need to cover up my lack of ability with intense processing, but i'm slowly getting good at it and i'm almost at the point where i could feel comfortable with my playing without any effects.

newname

Post by newname » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 am

godzilla wrote:yeah you must be fairly good then,
no, i'm terrible! but the 101 really sounds good with the thing.
godzilla wrote:i am still an unripe thereminist and feel the need to cover up my
lack of ability with intense processing, but i'm slowly getting good at it and i'm almost at the point where i could feel comfortable with my playing without any effects.
...that's kind of where i'm at. after a few months of over-the-top DP4 processing, i started getting more interested in the theremin's tone itself, and i was wondering what _i_ was contributing to the sound.

i think that i was able to practice a bit more courageously with all that distortion and echoes going on - so that when i went back to playing the theremin without FX, it was easier for me to pick pitches and repeat them - the process of playing theremin had become a bit more fun than it was before...

i'm still not great, intonation-wise, but i finally have a sort of 'feel' for what notes i'm going for, and can do little right hand exercises, like arpeggiating a broken chords, or using forearm movements to change from octave to octave pretty crisply.

gotta stick with it, though. my theremin's been in its case for the last few weeks, and i'm pretty sure i'll be rusty as hell when i pull it out again. gotta be ready for new year's eve - get that theremin version of auld lang syne ready to go, bad intonation and all... :)

lx

Veeger

Post by Veeger » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 am

spitznagel wrote:Does anyone use moogerfoogers (any or all) with their theremin? Are you happy with the results? I'm now playing my theremin through a Lexicon MPX-110, but thinking of starting to use moogerfoogers instead.
I'm running my Etherwave directly into an MF-103 Phaser in 12 stage mode and using the LFO CV from MF-102 Ring Mod to the Sweep In jack on the MF-103 to enrich the phasing - I get some really manic to lush mellow feels out of this setup. The signal also runs into the MF-102 which I usually leave bypassed - turning it on occasionally makes for some fun, but generally that's for non-musical, abrupt noise making. That phaser set up just makes playing theremin lovely. Lately I've been playing Somewhere over the Rainbow with this setup.

Wish I had the Moog delay - but for now the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy is doing VERY WELL! Just to give it space and room.

Would love to get the upgrade to CV control and simultaneously process the theremin output as outlined above while playing my Voyager OS Minimoog using the CV.... that would be insanely beautiful.

Tonight, I played with the rate and the square wave modulation on the EH Deluxe Memory Boy.... turned off the theremin and let the foogers play themselves. I can't say how interesting that was. And when I switched the theremin back on after tweaking, I hit a stuttering phased articulation that no longer sounded like a theremin to me. Bob Moog is my hero. The things he came up with. It is an absolute pleasure to play the Etherwave with the MF-103 modulated by the MF-102..... modular synthesis using theremin as the main instrument. INSANE. Wonder if Bob ever hooked it up this way. That's the fun of playing with foogers - sounds unheard of my friends, unheard of.

:D
Last edited by Veeger on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rlainhart

Post by rlainhart » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:30 am

Thomas Zunk, whom I performed with at Avantgarde Festival Schiphorst 2010 in Germany over the Fourth of July weekend, uses an Etherwave Theremin with several Moogerfoogers, including the Ring Mod (I don't know all the details of his setup, I'm afraid.)

I've just posted recordings of two of our improvs on my SoundCloud page here:

http://soundcloud.com/rlainhart

and an HD video clip of the first improv here:

http://www.vimeo.com/13276765

which might provide a bit more insight.
Richard Lainhart
[url]http://www.otownmedia.com[/url]
[url]http://www.downloadplatform.com/richard_lainhart[/url]
[url]http://www.vimeo.com/rlainhart[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/rlainhart[/url]

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:39 pm

spitznagel wrote:Does anyone use moogerfoogers (any or all) with their theremin?
Are you happy with the results?
Hi spitznagel,

I do and am very happy with the results. I don't know if you have the
EtherwavePlus with the CV Outs but it makes it a perfect instrument
to both play through and control the Moogerfoogers:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TRENDPLANET ... 5068331490

For my Pink Floyd band (PINK DROYD) I often use the Noise source
from the CP-251 into the MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, and then finally
the MF_105M into the MF-104Z.

This previous post has a full description on what's controlling what:

http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8751
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

spitznagel

Post by spitznagel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks for the answers! Lately I've been using the MIDI-Wave from WaveFront (found it on eBay) to control synths and a laptop. And...I just order a sonuus G2M. Audiences love seeing/hearing sounds like bells and drums coming out of "thin air".

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:50 pm

spitznagel wrote:I just ordered a sonuus G2M. Audiences love seeing/hearing
sounds like bells and drums coming out of "thin air".
And it's wicked fun to feed it vocals and wind instruments too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWaNlcXuGmI
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:56 am

Theres a few things I really like to do with my EW+

I like to run it through the 107 audio chain with the volume CV going to the mix knob, and a S&H from the cp to the freq in so it is like a second voice or for texturing. Its hard to ride the mix with an ep2 and get any kind of intonation.

Also the Theremin with the Delay is just nasty....if you are a 50% Sci-fi and 50% Melody player on the theremin like I am, then a delay will give you more room. A clean tone theremin is for the mighty.

I also did a little experimenting controlling the Taurus 3's pitch with the theremin, but thats another thread. It actually tracks better than the Voyager in my opinion (no Zippering)

E
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 am

we'll have our second Theremin-duo session this weekend. We'll try also the use of the Ringmodulator and the MIDI MuRF with the Theremins.
The duophonic sound we've achieved at our first session some weeks ago was very encouraging already. Now we would like to expand the capabilities even further by using the Foogers.
We think to bring some rhythmn patterns to the very legato sound structure with these extensions. With the Ringmodulator (set to low frequency, and LFO set to square) we may get some chopper or scrambler sounds. The MIDI MuRF should be synchronized via MIDI with a MIDI sequencer/drum machine. I'm not sure how the filters of the MuRF may effects the Theremin sound to get the desired rhythmn effects. But we'll try and see (or hear).
I'll keep you updated in the result of our research activities.
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

frestrobbe

Post by frestrobbe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I use my Etherwave plus with an MF101 MF102 & MF107, can sound fantastic!
actually I like the MF101 Lowpass the most, it can really sweeten up the sound and make it more human sounding, the freqbox is to thicken the sound

I recently bought a flightcase where I put both my moogerfoogers and machinedrum in the horizontal rack space and my audio interface and VX351 + cp251 in the vertical,
together with the theremin it could be a show on it's own, lots of sonic possibility's!
Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Etherwave plus, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351, CP-251

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 am

here, as promissed earlier, a short report about our recent Theremin session and the extensions we've used.
Haralds set up was:

Etherwave Theremin (black)
- audio out fed into audio line-in of a laptop (Dell)
- with Cubase SX3
- within the signal path of the Cubase either within the input section or within the output section vst-effects are possible
- herewith used phaser, flanger, delay, reverb and ring mods
- simultaniously Cubase allowed to activate vst soft-synthies such as Moog modular and Korg Workstation
- stereo line out of the laptop into an analog 6-ch-mixer

My set up was:

Etherwave Theremin (Ash)
- audio out fed directly into analog 6-ch-mixer
or
- audio out fed first into MoogerFooger MF 102 Ring Modulator
- then further into MoogerFooger MF 105M MidiMuRF
- and then into the 6-ch-mixer

both Theremins were pan pot adjusted in the 6-ch analog mixer. The output of the 6-ch-mixer were guided into a 12-ch rackmount mixer from Korg with additional reverb from an Alesis reverb machine and an Ibanez analog delay (time machine). The output of this 12-ch. mixer were fed into 2 channels of an Edirol R-44 4-channel WAV-recorder. The other 2 channels recorded the signals of 2 AKG microphones were located at some places in the room, to capture a little bit of the acoustical sound such as chair noises, switch klicking, voice fragments etc..

The improvisations over almost 2 1/2 days created a lot of fun and the atmosphere was very relaxed. We only had one break at the Gasthof zur Post in Raisting were Harald got a salad with an apple schorle and I got a schnitzel with a weissbier.

and here a small picture which shows a little bit of the density during the session
Fazit Theremin Session 17.7.2010.jpg
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...