Theremin in movie soundtracks

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Ann Weber

Theremin in movie soundtracks

Post by Ann Weber » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:43 pm

For a fall course I'm teaching on "Psychology in Story," I'll show students a series of classic and recent movies with psychological themes. We'll discuss how movie soundtracks can support (or undercut) a movie's story. In one class, we'll focus especially on the power of the theremin to evoke eerie atmosphere, paranoia and anxiety--as in Hitchcock's "Spellbound" (1945) and dozens of '50s and '60s sci fi flicks. Can forum members help me to identify other movies (available on video) whose soundtracks show the theremin's uniqueness, versatility, and emotional power? Thanks for your ideas, which I need by September 1st. Very best, Ann ([email protected])
Ann Weber PhD, Psychology, UNC at Asheville

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm not 100% certain, but doesn't Forbidden Planet have one?
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Don

Re: Theremin in movie soundtracks

Post by Don » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:18 pm

[quote="Ann Weber"]For a fall course I'm teaching on "Psychology in Story," I'll show students a series of classic and recent movies with psychological themes. We'll discuss how movie [i]soundtracks [/i] can support (or undercut) a movie's story. In one class, we'll focus especially on the power of the [i]theremin [/i] to evoke eerie atmosphere, paranoia and anxiety--as in Hitchcock's "Spellbound" (1945) and dozens of '50s and '60s sci fi flicks. Can forum members help me to identify other movies (available on video) whose soundtracks show the theremin's uniqueness, versatility, and emotional power? Thanks for your ideas, which I need by September 1st. Very best, Ann ([email protected])[/quote]

Greetings, Dr. Weber.

The sound of the theremin has been used in two different ways, as a tonal instrument and as an incidental device. Are you looking for just the tonal music, such as in "Spellbound," or for effect, as in "Forbidden Planet?"

I would add that my favorite use of theremin in a movie was in the soundtrack of "The Day the Earth Stood Still." The composer, Bernard Herrmann (whom John Williams endlessly imitates), purposely moved away from the typical bizarre sounds common to most science fiction movies of the day, but he did include a theremin played beautifully to give it just a taste of strangeness and otherworldlyness.

When played well, a theremin can sound like a cross between a woman's voice and a viola. When played poorly it sounds more like a cat being tortured.

Other movies with a theremin that might be of interest to you:
The Lost Weekend
The Spiral Staircase
It Came From Outer Space
The 5,000 Fingers of Mr. T (a bizarre film written by Dr. Seuss)
Operation Moon
Murder at Midnight
The Mad Magician
The Day the World Ended
Please Murder Me
and believe it or not...
The Ten Commandments

The most famous use of a theremin in recent times was in a song by the Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations." Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, a theremin wasn't used at all. A similar sounding device--so similar that it's commonly called an electrotheremin or tannerin, named after its inventor--was used.

Good luck on your research.

rlainhart

Post by rlainhart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:12 pm

The theremin (played by Lydia Kavina) is also prominently featured in Tim Burton's "Ed Wood", though more ironically of course than in something like "Spellbound".

Ann Weber

Theremin in movies: Thanks for great ideas!

Post by Ann Weber » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:04 pm

Thanks to all of you who have already responded. And keep 'em coming. There are some great movie suggestions and information in your postings. This site is a wonderful resource, and you are so kind to take the time to help me with my course planning. --Ann
Ann Weber PhD, Psychology, UNC at Asheville

Southernone

Post by Southernone » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:49 am

The Moog theremin was prominently featured in last summer's movie "Hell Boy".

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:07 pm

To add to the discussion, unofficially Pamelia Kurstin and I are doing our second live music score to a silent film (with no existing period score). She plays Theremin and I play what ever I can play on keyboards that goes well with her and the film. We played music for Murnau's "Faust" in March and we will be doing music for the 1924 Soviet science fantasy "Aelita" on August 17th out in Huntington NY. I'll be playing a Polivoks (a 1980s soviet performace synth) and a laptop.

further info
http://technopop.info/ndkent

We are still figuring out details and looking at offers to possibly release recordings of the shows.
Last edited by nicholas d. kent on Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicholas d. kent

Post by nicholas d. kent » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:33 pm

Southernone wrote:The Moog theremin was prominently featured in last summer's movie "Hell Boy".
That's interesting. I'll have to listen again. To me it's not so prominant - but I only watched the DVD once.

As for Williams endlessly imitating Herrmann, while I think Williams usually crafts a popular ideal of what Hollywood is supposed to sound like rather than pushing the art forward, I don't hear him doing Herrmann (someone I'm very familar with) - though I haven't heard "War of the Worlds" yet - so you might be talking about that but "endlessly" sounding like Herrmann (not Korngold?!) is something he isn't guilty of . There are a lot of composers knocking off other composers (like Williams) more than Williams does himself.

Rocketship X-M (a.k.a. "Expedition Moon") is a good one with Theremin (on DVD, sadly not on CD afaik) -
Dr. Hoffman on Theremin and Ferde Grofe composing. The main theme isn't Theremin though.

here is a pile of films Hoffman played on
http://137.com/hoffman/

nick
Last edited by nicholas d. kent on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

sundaeclubber

Post by sundaeclubber » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:52 am

I've a feeling that the "Simpsons" theme was played on a theremin for one or two episodes.... Their Halloween Special's end titles could have been one example....
Sundae Club* http://www.s-club.co.uk
Moog-Filled Album "TECHNOSTALGIA"
from
http://www.cdbaby.com/sundaeclub
and in your local iTunes store

http://www.myspace.com/sundaeclub

lordzool

Post by lordzool » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:52 pm

"the Machinist" has a great use of Theremins as the soundtrack