Connections

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Quimbob

Connections

Post by Quimbob » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm

I just received an Etherwave Standard. I have a guitar amp (Marshall MG100DFX) with a "CD in" connection. Would that be the optimum connection to use? As opposed to the regular guitar inputs that is.
I looked through the posts & didn't see that connection mentioned.

thanks

Portamental

Re: Connections

Post by Portamental » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:56 am

With a basic amp, you would want to use the regular fixed level output of the Etherwave because it's mono. It's a little bit hot for the standard input of a guitar amp but manageable. If your amp has FX send/return though, that would be the best option. The return jack on the amp is made for these hotter inputs. However, since your amp has CD ins (and normally, these are fixed level input), your best choice would be to use the headphone output of the Etherwave. This way, you can control the output level of the Etherwave. It's best not to use a TS plug in the headphone jack. You may need a "special" cable with RCA plugs on one end and quarter inch stereo plug on the other, but cables with RCA and 1/8 plug are very common and can be bought anywhere for cheap. To that you add the also common 1/8 to 1/4 headphone adapter. That will work fine, but a high quality cable such as Digiflex is preferable for better sound reproduction.