New theremin; many faults. :(

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
LektroiD

New theremin; many faults. :(

Post by LektroiD » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm

I just got given a Theremin Plus from my lady for my 40th birthday (purchased from a reputable reseller).

However, the main volume control only varies the amplitude slightly. It doesn't cut the sound out completely like the headphone volume does in the counter-clockwise position. So unless I unplug the jack completely (which makes a nasty noise through the amplifier) it will continue to make noise when the volume is at the lowest counter-clockwise position.

Also, when I touch the volume antenna to activate the gate, there is a loud click coming through (both on contact and release). I also tried this barefoot to make sure I had not charged myself with any static electricity through the carpet, yet it still had the problem.

There is also a kink at the back of the volume antenna, which looks rather unsightly (on closer inspection, this looks like a manufacturing fault, not a bash).

I'm not sure if these things are supposed to happen or if there is a problem with it, but it certainly doesn't seem right.

Either way it was a lot of money spent on something that feels very cheap and broken.

Both my girlfriend and I are deeply saddened and disappointed by this, on what should have been the perfect gift for a milestone birthday.

stiiiiiiive

Re: New theremin; many faults. :(

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:45 am

LektroiD, regarding the volume setting, I encourage you to read the manual. In substancia, it says the "Volume" knob is not a master volume setting but a calibration tool. Master volume should be set on the amplifier, as for a guitar. It certainly differs from the headphones volume setting.

As of the click, I experimented that sometimes. I offered my lady a Theremin last Christmas and haven't played it much so far. It was weird because she managed to do it and I did not. Any ring on fingers? Static electricty? I don't know.

I instist on encouraging you to read the manual. The Theremin is an instrument that seems to need some practice. Oh what ? Like any instrument?? Ah yes :)
What I mean is that if we only speak about producing sound and notes, the Theremin is more like a violin or clarinet rather than a keyboard synth.

You're on the ascending part of the curve, come on :)

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 am

Just as Stiiiiiive said. Read the manual :

Both the volume and pitch knobs on the Etherwave controls the proximity and movement range of their respective antenna (NOT the volume or pitch of the instrument). If your Etherwave sounds on all the time, use the pitch knob to calibrate the range of your hand coming close to the pitch antenna.

The volume of headphones is set by the headphones volume knob. The audio output jack has a fixed level output : use your amp or mixer volume to set audio level.

The click you hear is the byproduct of a wrong antenna pitch setting.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 am

It doesn't matter where the volume proximity control is set, this happens to the gate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EMwQruF_Vk