Etherwave MIDI implementation spec

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
dslocum

Etherwave MIDI implementation spec

Post by dslocum » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:52 am

I hope someone can help me find the MIDI implementation for the Etherwave. I haven't had any luck online.

Admittedly I've never played one, but since MIDI is only 7 bits (128 steps) I'm particularly interested in how / if the pitch range is smooth enough for theremin use.

Thanks

Doug

Just Me

Re: Etherwave MIDI implementation spec

Post by Just Me » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:16 am

MSB & LSB. it would be 2 CC's at the same time. Full range of one and then shift the next 1 step, then full range of the 1st again, etc.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Thierry

Post by Thierry » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:19 am

"Simple" midi is possible with a theremin (there are CV-2-midi converters). But in my eyes, the quantization into half tones will make the theremin loose its unique tonal character.

One might naturally use pitch bend data via midi to create a continuous pitch spectrum. This was implemented in the Moog Ethervox Theremin in the 90ies (which was planned as a midi-fied version of the Big Briar 91 series but then became a proper product). But it was kind of useless since there was and is no midi device on the market which can properly handle this huge amount of data.

There is a German, better said Bavarian theremin & midi expert who developed parts of the midi circuitry of the Ethervox for Moog in the time, Rudi Linhard. You may contact him via his website http://www.lintronics.de/.
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]

dslocum

Post by dslocum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks.

So it sounds like even if I used two CC channels, I'd most likely saturate the MIDI. Bummer.