just started with the theremin...help

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
travis

just started with the theremin...help

Post by travis » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:38 pm

so i have an analogue theremin built by theremaniacs...
it was a gift so no complaints, but a few questions.

it only has one antenna, the reasoning behind that being that the volume antenna can alter the pitch slightly. can anyone offer any information about this?

second, the distance between notes is very small, it has an ajustment knob but it doesn't seem to do much. any suggestions on how to remedy this?

lastly, is there a way to change what octave it plays in? it doesn't really have much bass.

thanks for your help!
my theremin makes my cat chase his tail.

shadowing

Theremin Woes

Post by shadowing » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:03 pm

It's going to be tough to give advice without actually seeing your theremin and how it was built.

I own four theremins, and never once has the volume antenna impacted on pitch in any way, so I'm unsure why you were told that it would.

The intervals between pitches is tricky -- sometimes they ARE very close. The only way to adjust them on most theremins is to use the pitch controller: position yourself where you feel comfortable, place your right hand at your heart, then try to set the control so that there is NO SOUND. When you move your hand toward the pitch antenna, it should begin to make a very low growl. Aside from going into the workings and messing with the electronic components, this is all you can do.

Again, without actually seeing what's inside your instrument, it's impossible to say for sure, but I have to adjust one of mine periodically. Over time, the range of the theremin can change -- usually the higher registers seem to disappear into the antenna and you end up without a good high end. The cure is to open it up and adjust the variable frequency circuit -- a delicate process and one which you should only attenpt if you know what you're doing. I myself hired a friend who knew both electronics AND theremins to teach me how to do it. It's very involved because the adjustments you make immediately come undone the minute you put the cover back on. So, it's a process of adjusting, then compensating for the changes that take place when the cover is replaced. Takes about a half hour. BUT the result is that you CAN recover a much wider range for the instrument in both high and low end.

I know this isn't much practical help, but it's the only way I know of to correct the problem.

travis

Post by travis » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:45 pm

thank you!
my theremin makes my cat chase his tail.