classical music composer

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
swamarpika

classical music composer

Post by swamarpika » Tue May 10, 2011 5:33 am

What is the probability of becoming a renoun classical music composer? I am only 16 years old and have been playing the french horn for 7 years. I love music and music theory. I compose classical music as a hobby, but Im not very good yet haha. What is the chance of somebody this day and age to become a world renoun composer? I would love to compose as a career and I just wanted to know if I had a chance. Thanks and please no dumb answers.

Thierry

Re: classical music composer

Post by Thierry » Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 am

I don't know where you live, but here in Europe most future composers visit first a conservatory or a music university in order to get a master degree as a soloist on their preferred instrument. After that they'll add two or three years of studies in order to deepen their knowledge in music history and theory and will finally get an additional diploma as a professional composer.

After that you'll have to do a job, for example as an orchestra musician or as a music teacher, in order to earn your living while you compose your own pieces and will present them at your own costs at international contests until you will be "discovered" and finally be asked to write compositions for special occasions (and getting paid for).
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]

Niko

Post by Niko » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 am

I totally agree with Thierrys coments and explanations. You may have to consider - and that's just my personal opinion - that there is a difference between education and training. In german language we distinguish between Bildung (education) and Ausbildung (training). An education provides you with the ability to be critical and to make your own decissions while training gives you the ability to do something which other people wants from you. In other words if you are looking for a musical career in order to earn money a good training may sufficiant. But if you looking for a career in order to create new music, particular for music which can last and accepted for a longer time, you may should focus on an education.
I know that's very theoretical and certainly some overlaps possible. But I'm a non-cureable philantropist and I believe in the individual person and its capability to create own ideas and pixels to achieve an entire and common picture.

best regards from a post 68-er...
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered" - No. 6

Where is the tutti button on this instrument? ...

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Think about what is more important to you. Composing music that appeals to a large audience, or composing music that you like without compromising your artistic goals. My opinion is that you should compose the music you want and don't worry about other people.

Also should you wish to become a well known composer consider composing for film. TCM has a Young Film Composers Competition where entrants score a vintage, usually silent film. That may be a good place to start.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

MaryG

Post by MaryG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Of course there is an opportunity! I know few modern young composers who are already quite successful and well-known. But if you would like to become a real composer with an immortal name like Beethoven, who is still played and recordered by young musicians, like Maxim Rysanov, Kristina Blaumane and Jacob Katsnelson (I recently found their disk of Beethoven’s works at onyxclassics site), then you definitely have to work hard. But anyway I wish you to realize your dream to become a real composer and we’ll wait for your works impatiently!

dukepayen

Post by dukepayen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:05 am

The most performed living American composer, Adams builds on the rhythmic momentum of minimalism, but introduces sharp contrasts and a wide range of musical references.