Controlling theremin volum with MP201 pedal, or..

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Rabalder

Controlling theremin volum with MP201 pedal, or..

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:43 am

Is this possible???

If not, can the theremin output a constant volum?? I could control the output volum in my DAW hooked up by midi to my MP201 pedal..
I looked at some videos on youtube, but I cant figure out if the volum remains at max if you completly remove you left hand and only use your right arm.

I can only use one arm and one leg while playing..

HELP!

Gordon Charlton

Re: Controlling theremin volum with MP201 pedal, or..

Post by Gordon Charlton » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 am

Yes, the volume remains at max when your hand is not near the loop.

Going through MIDI and your DAW seems overly complicated. Something like a Boss FV-500H low impedance volume treadle would work just as well.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... ductId=697

Of course half the magic of the theremin is in the volume loop, so you would be giving up a lot. A volume pedal is a poor replacement. Adding a kill-switch (a push-to-break button inserted into the audio cable) would add some interesting articulation options. Watch this video of Martin Taubman and his Electronde ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSH7OTgt4U
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

Rabalder

Re: Controlling theremin volum with MP201 pedal, or..

Post by Rabalder » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for your answer.
I would get a volumpedal if I had more floorspace. Im a drummer and currently use 5 pedals, which is more than enough for the moment. Since I already use the MP201, I was hoping that would work for volum control.
I actually thought about adding a kill-switch.. Going through my DAW would make this pretty easy, both for volum and "kill".

Great video!! I see your point..

I know its possible to use the CV-outputs on the theremin to control midi inside a DAW with the pitch/volum antenna.. But I suspect you need a CV to midi converter? Does that exist? Any "standard" equipment for this purpose??

Not massproduced.., thats for sure..

Edit:
Doepfer has a CV to midi converter..