harmonizing with theremin plus

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
BenjyScott

harmonizing with theremin plus

Post by BenjyScott » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm

i'm trying to use my theremin plus for doing two to three part harmony. les paul and mary ford, don and phil everly harmonies but with one theremin. has anyone used a boss ve-20 vocal pedal or any other harmonizer pedal with a theremin? recording is one thing, live is another

peace, benjyscott

moogyman

Re: harmonizing with theremin plus

Post by moogyman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 am

BenjyScott wrote:i'm trying to use my theremin plus for doing two to three part harmony. les paul and mary ford, don and phil everly harmonies but with one theremin. has anyone used a boss ve-20 vocal pedal or any other harmonizer pedal with a theremin? recording is one thing, live is another

peace, benjyscott
no, I never have. but something some people often do is loop phrases, harmonize live over those phrases while recording the harmonies, and then continue to play over the harmonized loops. they bank these performances on multibank loop pedals - bring them in and out of performance, stack them... interesting stuff.

you could use a harmonizer pedal - I've used octave pedals, but the matching tones weren't too prominent, they seemed weak. one pedal I would really like to play with is the HOG by Electro Harmonix..... that one gives you the ability to play chords with a single tone. my work with guitar soloing on the HOG in a music store was really satisfying. check that one out.

then loop the results and start a theremin orchestra.

see pamelia kurstin "thinking out loud"
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.

BenjyScott

Post by BenjyScott » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:56 pm

nice,

i have a pog 2. i play my theremin through it sometimes and it can be very machine sounding and powerful.
i didn't know the hog did "chords", i'll be sure to check it out.
what looping machines do you like? i'm very dumb with manuals and hate them with a passion, but i love the instruments that come with them. i have ableton, but don't know how to use it {for example}that's why i picked up the theremin plus. all i know is pitch, and the cv outs controll my little phatty. if i can play the theremin, then i can still go head first into the 21st century. maybe i should learn my ableton!

thanks for the heads up, benjyscott

moogyman

Post by moogyman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:13 am

BenjyScott wrote:nice,

i have a pog 2. i play my theremin through it sometimes and it can be very machine sounding and powerful.
i didn't know the hog did "chords", i'll be sure to check it out.
what looping machines do you like? i'm very dumb with manuals and hate them with a passion, but i love the instruments that come with them. i have ableton, but don't know how to use it {for example}that's why i picked up the theremin plus. all i know is pitch, and the cv outs controll my little phatty. if i can play the theremin, then i can still go head first into the 21st century. maybe i should learn my ableton!

thanks for the heads up, benjyscott
Roland has some good stuff, or rather BOSS... just google that. Should get you well on your way.
Moogyman :lol:

Mandatory Cape Law: All keyboardists playing more than 4 keyboards at a gig must wear a cape. Unless one keyboard is a mellotron, then the keyboardist must wear a cape regardless of number.