etherwave plus kit question

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
jimbodapunk

etherwave plus kit question

Post by jimbodapunk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:13 am

there appears to be a small misplaced small black cap on the board where the instructions say to solder a set of wires. i havent been COMPLETELY thorough with the instructions yet... but its confusing since there is no single manual for the building of the etherwave PLUS from the ground up... atleast that i can find. is this supposed to be there? let me know if you think this is a manufacturing mistake... i'll include a picture... as you can see running from the 12V+ to ground (covered with sticker).

if anyone knows helpful threads for building, can you let me know where they are?

Just Me

Re: etherwave plus kit question

Post by Just Me » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:00 pm

That is a DIODE.
I haven't built one, so I can't answer about the instructions.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

jimbodapunk

Post by jimbodapunk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:44 pm

diode, thank you.

Thierry

Post by Thierry » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 pm

This diode is not misplaced, it has been added to later revisions of the circuit board for supply voltage stability issues when powering on.

You may solder the wires from the Plus kit though, just shorten the blank and tinned wire ends somewhat and solder them besides the diode's legs onto the same points of the circuit board. Be careful to not to overheat the diode and to not short-circuit some of these connection points.

Or, still better, solder all wires on the other side of the circuit board. The tinned ends may still require some shortening.
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]