Proud Owner

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
kimbo

Proud Owner

Post by kimbo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Yippee!
I've completed my theremin kit this evening and it actually worked first time with no adjustments necessary! :shock:
Although I did test it first without the top cover on, and all ok, if a little quiet.
But when I tested again with the cover in place, it nearly blew my speakers! The difference in the output was amazing :shock:
The kit was excellent except for the fact that the potentiometers were missing their nuts!!
I had to visit my local electronics store and came across some sockets that happened to use the same mounting nuts that I required, so I utilised them.
Other than that, all has run smoothly, especially with not needing to re-calibrate.
Anyways, I have attached a small pic of Etherwave No. 6678. :D

Hows everyone elses experience been regarding building their kit (good or bad)?
May be a good thread for info :D
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Kimbo:
MacBook Pro, Minimoog Voyager Old School, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, DSI Prophet 08, Trax Rota-Synth RS-1.

EricK

Re: Proud Owner

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 am

Nice finish!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

kimbo

Re: Proud Owner

Post by kimbo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:52 am

Thank you :D
I actually intended to have the finish a bit lighter than this, but i'm still very pleased with the end result.
I used three coates of teak wood stain (sanding in between each coat), then finally finishing with three coates of clear lacquer.
The end result is a shade between teak and mahogany, with a piano gloss.

It was so tempting to skimp on the finishing process, but all that attention paid off :wink:
Kimbo:
MacBook Pro, Minimoog Voyager Old School, VX-351, Etherwave Theremin, DSI Prophet 08, Trax Rota-Synth RS-1.