newbi q on cv to midi hookup

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
wyndham

newbi q on cv to midi hookup

Post by wyndham » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 pm

I would like to get a theremin and go from cv to midi. I saw the sonus gm box but also saw reference to the mp201. Would this allow me to go cv out to the mp201 then midi out to a software synth on my sequencer(Sonar) using different soft synths.
If this in not the correct way how is it best to go theremin to software synths.
I saw another link to a $475 box that seems to do that but was wondering what folks are using.
I don't have any hardware yet but just starting to make a list of what I need.
Thanks for any leads on this Wyndham

Thierry

Re: newbi q on cv to midi hookup

Post by Thierry » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:17 pm

First you should learn to write so that people understand your message. Abbreviations are impolite, not all people find pleasure in guessing the meaning of quickly scribbled postings.

Second, you could have used the "search" function of this forum and you would have discovered that the theremin cv to midi problem has already been discussed quite often and that the quantizing of the wonderful analogue and continuous control voltages in order to get 7bit midi data (just 128 steps) will kill the unique musical character of the theremin. You'll get better results using a midi keyboard with a pitch bend wheel.

A theremin with cv outputs makes sense if you want to control analogue synthesizers with analogue 1V/Octave cv inputs. Such a setup allows to transmit the musical character of your theremin playing.

If I were you I'd start buying a theremin and first learning to play it accurately in the conventional way which requires years of hard work and practice. You'll be able to see later what to do with interfaces and effects, once you master the instrument itself.
French Mathémartiste, Informagicien, Thérémingénieur ;-)

[url]http://theremin.tfrenkel.com[/url]

wyndham

Post by wyndham » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:00 pm

You have made several very good points. Very sorry to inconvenience you. I have used the search function and found that there is conflicting information about the use of control voltage to midi interface as it pertains to the implementation of a software synthesizer used within the context of being driven by a Theremin.
I am totally inept at playing any musical instrument but find the concept of the Theremin unique and therefor worthy of my interest. Most of the Theremin players as in most musical endeavors,are enjoying making noise , which is my intent.
As to the other aberrations of the abbreviations , other post within this forum used these so I see no reason not to use them as well.
If you don't see the expanded possibilities of the "CV" to MIDI interface, please look into it.
I truly hope you have a merry and joyous Christmas and thanks again for the warm greeting. I will remember it long and well. :D
Wyndham

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am

I guess you were supposed to spell out Musical Instrument Digital Interface, Control Voltage and General Musical Instrument Digital Interface at each occurance! LOL. Oh and I forgot Multi-Pedal Model 201!

MIDI > CV and CV > MIDI conversion boxes are not inexpensive and there are few available new nowadays.
Most are modules used in modular synths and each one is better in one area and worse in another than the next.

If you have a Voyager, it can do it for you with some limitaions. The trouble is, in order to get near the resolution of the signal from the Theremin, you need to generate a MSB and LSB MIDI CC. (Each of the 127 MSB are further split into 127 steps of the LSB. Effectively eliminating the zippering effect. 16,129 steps of resolution.) Opps, sorry, used some TLA's and FLA's!

I don't use a computer in my studio but know that there is an interface and software package that accepts CV in to the computer and also outputs CV for use in hardware. Just don't know the name of it.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

wyndham

Post by wyndham » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:51 pm

I have found a fellow in Australia that makes such a beast and the interface for the 3 cv outs. For what he does it's a fair price, with shipping a little under $400 . Steve Maass from Moog got the link for me. All in all it's about the price of a etherwav but I'll wait a bit to scrounge the $$$.
A Theremin is one of those things in life you try at least once.
I know what you mean about the resolution problem. It almost seem that a dedicated analog to digital DSP board might be better slicing up the signal for later conversion to midi.
I even thought the new Melodyne DNA editor that will process audio to midi might be an interesting lead.
If I ever get further , I'll post the results, Thanks Wyndham