How to insert a delay in the Minimoog Old School?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Olivier1975

How to insert a delay in the Minimoog Old School?

Post by Olivier1975 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:41 am

Hello

I can not get sound from my Moog delay when I plug it in "insert" on my minimoog old school. I have a cable "Y" with a stereo jack and at the end, two mono jack (so I plug the delay) ... I also tried with another delay Boss Roland, and same result, I can not hear the echo ...

The cable, I plug in the output "mix out / filter in" -> Delay.

What is the problem??? I do not understand, I'm sure I plugged in my effects ...???

Someone can it help me a solution.

Thank you!

Edit :

According to the manual, all other effects are mentioned unless the Delay??? Why? And actually, it works well for the rest, phasing, ... ring modulator etc. ...

EricK

Re: How to insert a delay in the Minimoog Old School?

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:34 am

Hey,
I tried this before, it didn't sound as spectacular as I had thought.

Try lengthening you envelopes because once you take our finger of the key, if the delay is self oscillating, it won't exit the VCA.

The oscs constantly vobrate at whatever frequency they are set at, so you are having a continuous pitch into the delay, which might mask the effect also.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Olivier1975

Post by Olivier1975 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 am

So it is not possible given that the effect is hidden ...

It is better to connect the effects of the Moog, one after the other with the delay at the end (last one according to what we seek of course). I also find that putting into effect "insert" is not that bad ...

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Well, it might not necessarily be hidden, but since the osc pitch is constant, it might not work very well. I let my guitar player friend demo the delay and he did long constant clapton style leads and never heard the delay because he never rested his playing. The Osc will likely mask the effect of the delay because of this.

Now, usually I keep the delay last in the audio chain EXCEPT if you have a murf, then I would reccomend the murf being last, since the murf will split the audio signal into a stereo one. If you "sync" their tempos together, then each delay you hear will be murfed and on a different side of the mix and makes for a very unique sound.

Then, theres always the effects loop of the delay.

THe ringmod and phaser work well in the loop of the voyager, and the murf works very well.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Olivier1975

Post by Olivier1975 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 am

Understood, thank you anyway.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:17 pm

EricK wrote:Now, usually I keep the delay last in the audio chain EXCEPT if you have a murf, then I would reccomend the murf being last, since the murf will split the audio signal into a stereo one.
This is when you have a modulated delay on each channel so the audience goes to outer space! :mrgreen:
Electra EP-501, Korg MP-4, Korg PS-6, Moog CP-251, Moog MF-101, Moog MF-102, Moog MF-104Z, Moog MF-107, Yamaha DX7