Why do Moog make ring modulators?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Thisismyname

Why do Moog make ring modulators?

Post by Thisismyname » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Hello Moogerfoogers,

On a whim I bought the ring modulator over the weekend. It's the craziest box I've ever used, slipping from beautiful sounds to sonic confusion with the tweak of a knob.

I'm a little perplexed by the box. I've read the manual, and researched on the website but what I can't really understand is how I am supposed to use it in a musical context. I've managed to make all kinds of space noises, and made my guitar sound like a Buddhist bell when I played single C notes but what I can't figure out is what they are generally used for.

What in short, did Mr Bob Moog (god bless him) have in mind when he built them?

Any tips and guidance would be gratefully appreciated. I am (trying to) use it with with a guitar and a Little Phatty Stage. I also have an EP2 pedal (that I was buying when I bought the modulator on the spur of the moment).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Krinor

Re: Why do Moog make ring modulators?

Post by Krinor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Moog makes ring modulators probably because they too appreciate that the world of sound consist of more than that which can be contained within the limited confines of the (most common) musical scale.

Ring modulation (and this pedal in particular) is a very esoteric sound effect which, in my opinion, is best appreciated when used for atonal music, sound effects etc.

edpoulsen

Post by edpoulsen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:29 pm

you can use the LFO to modulate your signal, and not just your typical wah wah wah wah modulation sound, there are infinite ways to modulate the signal (like a few long wahs and then a series of quick wahs). If you turn the mix down to 4 and turn the freq to high and the rate pretty long it makes it sound like there are comets or whistling rockets coming off of your signal. It won't tune to the note that you're playing if tahts what you mean, only create a nice drone effect. Good luck, just fool around with it for a while, you'll find cool stuff to so with it.
MuRF, Ring Mod, Freq Box, LPF, dotcom synth

"Look babe, I can buy synthesis gear, or I can buy crack"

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 pm

Because it is a simple and elegant way ro change the harmonic content of a signal. They can be used for inverse phasing of audio frequency spectrums
Read this wiki page as a start.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_modulation
That just scratches the surface of what you can do with one. (And having 2 can get really weird.)
But musically it seems to be used most as a nice tremolo or as a way to make odd order harmonics for bell like sounds.
They can do some really neat things as modulation sources if the one you have is DC coupled and can work with CV's. (Like the one in an ARP.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:21 am

I figured out how to use it on a funk song in E. I tuned the freq. to my E note and plugged an exp pedal into mix, leaving the mix knob at 4, so sometimes it would be subtle, and other times it would be in your face.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:15 am

I also thought it'd be difficult to fit a Ring Mod into playing music but the most obvious application is to use it as a tremolo. I like mine set to a dual-mode tremolo of sorts that sounds like: "wah wah - wahwahwah - wah wah", a couple slow wahs then a few fast ones.

I use most effects subtly, not in your face & a slight detuned bell-sound of a Ring Mod fits the bill perfectly.
Besides, synth guys love the extra oscillator.

I really DO think it is the most versatile MoogerFooger & I too must recommend it be the 1st to purchase!
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:17 am

Tremolo, vibrato, drones, radical tone shaping, octave generation, modulation of sound with sound. Definitely the most bang for the buck moogerfooger!!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Thisismyname

Post by Thisismyname » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:58 am

Thank you fellas. Plenty to think about here.

I shall let you know how I get on.

Best wishes,

This-a is-a my-a name-a

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 am

Moog stuff is not for everyone, and the Ringmod is no exception.

A lot of folks describe moog as "Its a great sound...IF thats the sound you want"

I think that if you only have a synth and the ringmod, the ringmod enables you to make your synth sound likesome of that modular music from back in the 70's. With the mix knobs on the foogers, you can accent certain notes just with a flick of a wrist. You know how some guitarists hit a really important note in a solo and let it sustain, well you can do that with your lead but while sustaining, turn the mix on the 102 towards 10 and it really morphs your tone into some interesting tones that are similar to outerspace or whatever.

Try to run your vocals through them. COmbine them with a Phaser for outstanding sounds. THe bell and gong sounds that it produces seem to turn your tone into a new planetary system.

I love it, it was the first pedal that I got, and I bought it because the tremelo bulb in my RHodes ihas burnt out.

Its a beautiful sounding, or harsh sounding effect that has its place as an extra palette in your arsenal. It will make people who dont know about ring modulation go WTF is that? Wow! (or Ugghh) lol

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

wetpenny

Post by wetpenny » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:18 am

MF102 shall be my next `fooger :mrgreen:

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:45 pm

It's definitely on the non-musical side - If you get the change, there is a DVD out
of Miles Davis band at the Isle of Wight festival in 1969 - Chick Corea play a keyboard
with lot's of ring modulation, and it sounds very crunchy and atonal.

There is also a real neat interview with Chick in 2003, where he plays a Rhodes thru
an MF-102 and talks about it a bit. Again, crunchy and rather atonal. But some neat chords.

"And then i got turned on to these little modules you could plug in and distort the sound. "

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

They also make neat octave doublers: just feed the same signal into carrier and modulator inputs. Kinda fun effect! :wink:

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Some of my favorite ring mod stuff is the aforementioned Chick Corea stuff with Miles Davis and Jan Hammer with Mahavishnu Orchestra. It's maybe not so atonal when applied the notes come short and fast!

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:22 pm

If you think the Ring Mod's sound is out there, give the FreqBox a try. The Ring Mod will sound like a Stradivarius next to it! :mrgreen:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 am

cliffman wrote:It's definitely on the non-musical side - If you get the change, there is a DVD out
of Miles Davis band at the Isle of Wight festival in 1969 - Chick Corea play a keyboard
with lot's of ring modulation, and it sounds very crunchy and atonal.

There is also a real neat interview with Chick in 2003, where he plays a Rhodes thru
an MF-102 and talks about it a bit. Again, crunchy and rather atonal. But some neat chords.

"And then i got turned on to these little modules you could plug in and distort the sound. "

Here you go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twbs0QKhiHU
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.