Noise when turning drive knob

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
frestrobbe

Noise when turning drive knob

Post by frestrobbe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:09 am

Hi,

since a few days I got this problem that when I turn the drive knob on my ringmod there's a lot of noise/crackling, this only occurs when there's audio coming through. if I turn the drive knob when all cables are in place but there's no sound generated by the source (voyager) there's no noise/crackling.
my moog lowpass filter and phazer haven't got this problem.

anyone knows what might cause it, what could be wrong and how I can solve it?

thnx
Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Etherwave plus, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351, CP-251

Just Me

Re: Noise when turning drive knob

Post by Just Me » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 am

Dirty pot.
Try rapidly turning it fully a few times to see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't, you will need to clean it.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

frestrobbe

Post by frestrobbe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 am

Just Me wrote:Dirty pot.
Try rapidly turning it fully a few times to see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't, you will need to clean it.
I turned it quickly a few times and slowly, both didn't help.
How can I clean that pot?
Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Etherwave plus, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, VX-351, CP-251

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Turn the knob fully back and forth for about half a minute. That really should take care of your problem.
If it doesnt, you can get some electrical contact cleaner (not the eye stuff) at Radio Shack or somewhere like that. A ccouple sprays on the shaft and then turning it back and forth a couple dozen times should take care of the dirt, but it will probably take out some of the inner lubrication of the pot, possibly changing the feel of it when turning