EHX: Analog Delay w/ Tap Tempo

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:08 pm

latigid on wrote:
MarbledMoog wrote:well you know the only true analog delays are tape echos. The BBD-based analog units are digital/analog hybrids if I remember...I forget exactly because its too early in the morning for this, something about the time domain/sampling being a digital function while the thing being sampled and repeated is analog
BBDs are sample-based, and so have a limited bandwidth. But perhaps the difference is the quantization: are the "steps" between the samples continuous?

Same for tape, you get a higher "sample rate" = more bandwidth when you spin your tape faster. But the Gauss lines just move closer together the higher the recorded frequency is. So are the steps also quantized? Smooth between steps?

And if you go down further to a quantum scale, the energy levels in an atom/molecule are discrete anyhow, so at _some_ point things have to become "digital" :lol:
After a certain point you might as well start recording echos from a cave or whatever. There's yer analog delay. An no, you don't get to change the delay rate. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:After a certain point you might as well start recording echos from a cave or whatever. There's yer analog delay. An no, you don't get to change the delay rate. :D

mechanical moving cave wall :lol:

Sir Nose

Re: EHX: Analog Delay w/ Tap Tempo

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 am

Quantum is a bit better than digital, because you get three states to work with, yes no and maybe, not just 0 and 1.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Maybe quantum is better than digital, but then again, maybe not

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Even if there are no Strings attached, this conversation is beginning to hurt my Branes. :mrgreen:

Now, back to the original subject...
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

toryjames

Re:

Post by toryjames » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:02 pm

latigid on wrote: And if you go down further to a quantum scale, the energy levels in an atom/molecule are discrete anyhow, so at _some_ point things have to become "digital" :lol:
This is super geeky and awesome.

willi

Re:

Post by willi » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:15 pm

latigid on wrote:I guess if people were seriously going to consider modding the 104s they might have a switchable clock: one for digital sync and the internal clock for analog mayhem. :P
In all that tap-tempo discussion I somehow missed this comment, but it seems like the way to go. Instead of trying to figure out how to address the analog clock digitally, how about a switch at the BBD clock input that selects between the built in analog clock and an additional digital clock circuit?

Nice thought... ;)
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com