Any chance more Foogers will include midi (like the Murf)?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Beneficial

Any chance more Foogers will include midi (like the Murf)?

Post by Beneficial » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

I think the midi Murf is one of Moog's best products. Midi clock sync, and midi cc control over all functions is so great in an analog effect. Is there any chance we can get a midi Phaser, midi Low Pass, midi sync'd Delay etc? It's so nice to be able to sync the FX to your project tempo without having to use CV and extra gear to do it. Also, being able to save an unlimited number of presets and recall them from with a VST in your DAW project is amazing. Really looking forward to new Moog products. I think the Midi Murf was a big step in the right direction.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm

As stated in other posts, I would love to see MIDI added to the MF-107 FreqBox.
Imagine a combined guitar and keyboard solo, both playing the same FreqBox.

The guitar would plug into the Audio In and the keyboardist would feed MIDI to
control the Freq of the OSC. Turn on OSC Sync.

Now, both players could jam simultaneously and the result would be a solo with
aspects of both players.

There are so many more things you could do with this as well.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:15 pm

True that's a great idea. Seems like midi could be added to the foogers and open up so many possibilities.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:38 pm

I don't think a perfect sync of the 104z is possible with either a tap tempo mod or MIDI. I think they would have to redesign the delay to accomodate this.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CTRLSHFT

Re: Any chance more Foogers will include midi (like the Murf

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am

Beneficial wrote:I think the midi Murf is one of Moog's best products. Midi clock sync, and midi cc control over all functions is so great in an analog effect. Is there any chance we can get a midi Phaser, midi Low Pass, midi sync'd Delay etc? It's so nice to be able to sync the FX to your project tempo without having to use CV and extra gear to do it. Also, being able to save an unlimited number of presets and recall them from with a VST in your DAW project is amazing. Really looking forward to new Moog products. I think the Midi Murf was a big step in the right direction.
I'd really like to see MIDI integration on all of em at some point, hopefully in a cp-251 style enclosure.

Will it happen? Probably not all at one if ever, especially since you practically have that functionality via the MP-201, which I think was made in some part to bridge the gap. The MIDI MuRF was already ready to rock in the MIDI sense.

I think most likely what we will see is MIDI on the next Moogerfooger that comes out, but probably not on previous ones.
www.ctrlshft.com

EMwhite

Re: Any chance more Foogers will include midi (like the Murf

Post by EMwhite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:21 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Beneficial wrote:I think the midi Murf is one of Moog's best products. Midi clock sync, and midi cc control over all functions is so great in an analog effect. Is there any chance we can get a midi Phaser, midi Low Pass, midi sync'd Delay etc? It's so nice to be able to sync the FX to your project tempo without having to use CV and extra gear to do it. Also, being able to save an unlimited number of presets and recall them from with a VST in your DAW project is amazing. Really looking forward to new Moog products. I think the Midi Murf was a big step in the right direction.
I'd really like to see MIDI integration on all of em at some point, hopefully in a cp-251 style enclosure.

Will it happen? Probably not all at one if ever, especially since you practically have that functionality via the MP-201, which I think was made in some part to bridge the gap. The MIDI MuRF was already ready to rock in the MIDI sense.

I think most likely what we will see is MIDI on the next Moogerfooger that comes out, but probably not on previous ones.
Agree with that. And the MuRF benefits from Midi because as a product it appeals to a wider audience as a generic sound processor, meaning a DJ can get one of those and a MP-201 and wreak havoc on live mixes with little knowledge of CV or even music.

On the subject of Delay and what would seem to be a natural tie to Midi, it's not as easy as it would appear but others with pure analog pedals have succeeded like Diamond. I picked up a Memory Lane II and man, that thing is one great piece of engineering. I had mine modded with a remote Tap (plug a footswitch in for remote tap tempo). Like many others, there is also a dotted eight switch that adjusts the clock accordingly all with Bucket Brigade sound). So it certainly CAN be done with the 104. Whether or not a cost effective daughterboard can be integrated easily is a completely other discussion and obviously, Tap tempo is only one issue, obeying clock quite another without a much bigger array of circuitry.

I also have a T-Rex Replica which has limited Midi support (I use my multipedal with footswitch 4 to pass midi cc#20 to the T-Rex) but that's handy. Much like my ML2, it gets the pedal up off the floor and into a rack so I can tweak the knobs.

The best way fwd for the 104 in my opinion is Tape functionality AND leveraging an LFO for running SYNC in step like fashion. Am sure none of this is easy but I think folks would really appreciate the integration point.

As with most of the postings on this and the other forums, easy for me to say.

-Mike W. from NJ

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 pm

I gotta say that MIDI doesn't seem practical on the other Foogers. It makes sense on the MURF because it lets you do something that you couldn't do before, not even with a separate MIDI-CV converter - it lets you edit patterns. All the other Foogers have CV control over every parameter, and the MP-201 provides MIDI control for all of those. Having it built-in on each one seems redundant.

If all they did was put a MIDI-CV converter inside the current Freqbox they'd get a lot of complaints about it "not being in tune". You can calibrate it with the trim pot inside, but it would still be temperature sensitive. Plus, any external MIDI-CV converter will give you the same exact functionality. Not so with the MURF.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:38 pm

I think it would provide new functionality. For example... you could have VST versions of the foogers that would connect to the hardware foogers via midi. I could create an insert chain in my DAW... Low pass -> Ring mod -> Murf -> Delay (just a random example) and then with the click of a button I could recall an entire chain of settings on all 4 foogers (if each knob responded to a certain midi channel and cc#). You could store unlimited presets that could be recalled instantly and saved with your projects. You could also control all of the pedals from one midi controller if you wanted (using automap or some technology like that would make it super easy). And just being able to have sync'd lfos and stuff running quickly and easily on each Fooger without having to deal with CV and buying extra gear and programming presets on a foot pedal board for each. I think overall it would just make for a better product. Of course... leave all of the CV features in the foogers for sure but the addition of midi would really open a lot of possibilities. And I know people hate on midi over USB... but it's waaay faster than the original midi protocol. Add USB and you could run LFOs in your DAW that output midi cc values... so you could do crazy deep modulation of each fooger knob at the same time which would add another level of depth andpossibilities.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:51 pm

UCAudio wrote:would really open a lot of possibilities.
The possibilities are already there - with the MP-201. Or any other MIDI-CV converter.

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Really I didn't realize that? So with the MP-201 you can have VST versions of all of the hardware foogers and save unlimited preset chains that can be recalled instantly from your DAW? Also I didn't realize the 201 let you control a bunch of fooger knobs at once with a midi controller or let you have like 20 LFOs and envelops running at once controlling 20 fooger knobs. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any of that functionality exists right now and would/could be available with midi.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 pm

UCAudio wrote:So with the MP-201 you can have VST versions of all of the hardware foogers and save unlimited preset chains that can be recalled instantly from your DAW?
How do you suppose MIDI will help you change the order in which your Moogerfoogers are patched together?

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm

What I mean by chains is in a DAW... Cubase for example, I would create a preset chain. Insert slot 1 Ring mod, slot 2 Murf, slot 3 Delay... tweak each one on my midi controller then save the insert chain. When I recall the preset it could send midi cc messages out to the foogers to recall each of their settings. You could save unlimited presets that way and quickly recall settings on each hardware unit.