MF101 mod?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!

Would you get a trigger input mod for your MF101?

Yes! in a heartbeat
92%
No...seems kinda pointless
8%

Total votes: 12

ColorForm2113

MF101 mod?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:12 am

So I was contemplating if I should bring this up here or be greedy and keep it my little secret :wink: but I figured if more people showed intrest in it they may be more likely to move on it faster...

So I emailed moog and asked them about a modification that could be made to the 101 to allow an external source (drum machine, click track, clean guitar signal etc) to trigger the envelope with no audio bleed thru, allowing another signal (pad sound, fuzzy guitar etc) to be filtered. So this would offer rhythmic filtering, or smoother triggering when putting a thick syrupy fuzz sound thru the 101.

And Rosser from the moog team got back to me and told me he loved the idea and was going to run it by the rest of the team. But they are busy (this was just after namm) at the moment.
So what do you guys think?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EMwhite

Re: MF101 mod?

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:24 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:So I was contemplating if I should bring this up here or be greedy and keep it my little secret :wink: but I figured if more people showed intrest in it they may be more likely to move on it faster...

So I emailed moog and asked them about a modification that could be made to the 101 to allow an external source (drum machine, click track, clean guitar signal etc) to trigger the envelope with no audio bleed thru, allowing another signal (pad sound, fuzzy guitar etc) to be filtered. So this would offer rhythmic filtering, or smoother triggering when putting a thick syrupy fuzz sound thru the 101.

And Rosser from the moog team got back to me and told me he loved the idea and was going to run it by the rest of the team. But they are busy (this was just after namm) at the moment.
So what do you guys think?
I'm one of the early voters here but it's a yes for me.

I'm contemplating buying a SYNTH.COM a) instrument instrument and b) ASDR module so that I can set the threshold of an external audio signal (my Jazz bass or a drum as you suggested), then kick off an envelope that I can feed the CV of into a Moog filter.

Something between the stock 101 and nirvana would be welcome if the price was right. The 101 is great and I've used other synths (my Old School's ASDR to drive the 101, kicked off by the kb GATE of my LP [I have the FreqBox in that patch also; it's complicated] but the answer is Yes, I'd be up for it.

I would have to think that Moog is short on realestate on many of the foggers through (for jacks, more knobs, etc).

A full featured CP-101 sized Instrument interface with an additional ASDR, etc etc. would be handy also but I understand there would need to be more development for such a new device.

Anyway... back to reading the Taurus manual...

-Mike W. from NJ

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:52 am

Good on you to take the initiative and look into this :) I didn't vote because I wouldn't get it, but I certainly don't think that 'its pointless', I just don't find myself using the filters I currently have with triggers and loops. Especially if you're using the 'foogers with guitar, I think an 'Effects loop' would be even better.. assuming there was room for it (at least twice the size of a 'trigger in') because it can be used as a trigger as well 8)

*Dry signal to the audio in triggers the Envelope and is routed through the effects loops (put your fuzz etc here) and then to the filter, so your dry signal can trigger the envelope with all its dynamic control, and still get the fuzz'd sound under the filter without being blown open/stick closed from gain&compression- if the loop is left empty, the input&filter operate as normal.

*You can also use it as a trigger-in by swapping places and plugging the instrument into the "Return" of the Effects loop, and the triggering audio into the regular audio "Input" (the Send is left open). This way your instrument is feeding the wet input/filter and the trigger(ie drum machine) is only affecting the envelope but not passing audio
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks guys! And hype, that's a great idea with the fx loop, if they could be combined that would be amazing.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:04 pm

I had this idea a couple of years ago, but after looking at the circuit board I didn't want to attempt it myself. I'm not that great with a soldering iron. I think it would be great if Moog offered it. I voted yes.

Since that time though I've gotten into some Eurorack modular gear, so I no longer need it. You can also do this if you have an MF-107 - just use the envelope signal from that.

I bet if Moog opened an official Custom Shop, along the same model that Gibson Guitars has, they would probably get enough business to make it sustainable. They could build anything you want, for a price (a very high price of course).
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

JimF

Post by JimF » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is a super-easy mod. Way back in the Big Briar days, when I'd just bought my 101, I wanted to do this, e-mailed Big Briar, and received a response from Bob Moog himself, telling me what to do. I'm in the process of moving house at the moment, and the docs are packed up for the next few weeks. If Moog Music doesn't come up with an answer, I'll post the details when I've unpacked.

Basically, it involved cutting or unsoldering the wire from one end of one resistor on the board, and putting the additional audio source in here. In my 101, I added a switched jack on the back, so that with no additional audio source plugged in, the standard audio in goes to the envelope follower as well as the filter. When the second source is plugged in, then that audio goes to the follower, and the main audio source is processed by the filter.

The only disadvantage in this method is that the level LED shows the level of the additional signal (which is driving the envelope follower), not the main audio. I decided I could live with that.

So, it's possible, and it works. Details sometime in March, if Moog hasn't already shared the secret.

Cheers,

Jim F.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:51 pm

That's exciting! I kinda figured that's what would happen with the led, no big deal. Good idea with the switched jack though.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 pm

This is a great idea to add some sprinkles to the oft-vanilla 101. Perhaps even more exciting would be the possibility of extending this mod to the 107, so the VCA could be triggered by voltage and not necessarily the incoming audio.

Jim, if you could share the details of the mod that would be appreciated.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Im sure this could be extended to the 107 as well provided there is room. Actually I could see this being very benefical to the 107, but I don't have one so that's why I suggested the 101 8)

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:04 am

+1 for 107 mod, possibly with a gate on the osc out too. I don't have a 101, so I did not vote.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:59 am

JimF wrote:In my 101, I added a switched jack on the back, so that with no additional audio source plugged in,
the standard audio in goes to the envelope follower as well as the filter. When the second source is
plugged in, then that audio goes to the follower, and the main audio source is processed by the filter.
Wow, the thought of that gives me a tingly sensation. I want this on my MF-101
(even though I already do this via my MF-107).

Thanks Jim, and to everyone else on this thread! This is exciting stuff.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

strata189

Post by strata189 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:56 pm

I'd be up for one. Love me some tweak!

Randall
http://www.myspace.com/randallprentice

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 am

I say YES! Only because someday I'll have a 101...no room as of now for one. :(
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jacquetpierroulet

Post by jacquetpierroulet » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:37 am

Hi to everyone,

Can you gently share how to modify the MF-101 please?

Best regards

JimF

Post by JimF » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I posted the following in 2010.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE INSTRUCTIONS REFER TO THE BIG BRIAR MF101. I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER THEY ARE APPLICABLE TO THE MOOG MUSIC MF101. AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE RESULTS OF ATTEMPTING THIS MODIFICATION WITH ANY MODEL.

Cheers,

JimF

From 2010:

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay in getting this info up - I promised it several weeks ago.

The question was how to modify an MF101 to accept a second audio signal in to the envelope follower, so that the filtering of the main signal can be enveloped by a second audio signal.

I did this to my MF101 about 10 years ago, after sending a couple of e-mails to Big Briar, and receiving answers from Bob Moog himself with explicit directions. I no longer have the computer on which the e-mails were received, and I have no backups from that time. So the following is retyped from printouts of the e-mails. Points to note:
- these instructions apply to a Big Briar MF101, vintage 1999. I have no idea whether the board and circuit of the current version of the MF101 are the same.
- I haven't got around to taking photos of the guts of mine - sorry...
- these directions are provided under the motto "no responsibility taken" - if you wreck your MF101, that's your problem :-)
- BUT I know that the instructions work - my MF101 has been doing this happily since 2000, when I made the modification.

First e-mail from Bob Moog, 2 March 2000:
"If you're adept at desoldering resistors on circuit board with plated-through holes, you can lift the end of R5 and connect your external signal to it. If you have access to shop equipment, you can drill an extra hole on the back panel of the MF-101, mount a bridging jack in that hole, and then wire the jack up to the R5 part of the circuit."

Several months later, when I finally got around to doing this, I asked for more explicit instructions:
Second e-mail from Bob Moog, 5th October 2000:
"1. DO NOT REMOVE THE CIRCUIT BOARD. Remove the bottom panel and face the jacks away from you. Identify U2 (LM324A).
2. Immediately to the left of U2, starting at the top, are a) two diodes, b) a 270K resistor, c) a 100K resistor, and d) four more resistors. That 100K, right below the 270K, is R5.
3. Carefully unsolder the left end of R5, that is, the end away from U2. Apply your signal to that end of the resistor."

So that's it, folks. It's actually quite easy, and it works like a charm. Like everyone else on this forum, I'm eternally indebted to Bob Moog (may he rest in peace) for his generosity and willingness to help - as well as for the great instruments!

So, have fun!

Cheers,

Jim F.