Analog Delay

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
The Analog Organist

Analog Delay

Post by The Analog Organist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:27 pm

What makes the Moogerfooger Analog Delay worth its astronomical price tag? Why prefer it - say - to the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, which is less than half its price? I would be using the Delay with a Voyager Old School.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

I think it has something to do with the bucket brigade circuitry being rare, coupled with the amount of circuitry that it takes to create that exceptionally long delay time (for a bucket brigade).

The EHX unit is digital, yes?

Some people really have all kinds of issues with paying these high prices for otherwise common units like phasers and delays, but having a voltage controllable delay that is analog AND has over a second of delay is worth the price to me.

At the time I cringed when i forked out that 699 for my delay but when I got it I realized that it sounds so fantastic. Being able to control the feedback or time with the touchpad is also a bonus.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:58 pm

EricK wrote:I think it has something to do with the bucket brigade circuitry being rare, coupled with the amount of circuitry that it takes to create that exceptionally long delay time (for a bucket brigade).
Yeah, I think BBD (analog) chips cost more if you want the longer delay times (1 second) and still have good sounding audio. That's why so many analog delays have a short time on them. Plus all the CV control and it starts to add up.

I can't afford one either. The EHX pedal is nice but I would suggest looking for one of the old Japanese rack mount analog delays, like a Yamaha E1010 or Ibanez AD-202. I've had an AD-202 for a long time and it sounds great. You only get about 600ms of delay, but it does have built-in modulation.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

It certainly has the longest delay of any analog I have seen, about 1 sec
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 am

EricK wrote:Being able to control the feedback or time with the touchpad is also a bonus.
Eric
Yea.... a gigantic bonus. It really makes you love the touchpad! It is just so cool.
The effects loop should be mentioned as well.

Overall, it is the CV control for me.

I have a number of demos using the Moog 104z delays in my sig.

It really is a cool effect, but if you do not plan on ever using the CV on it, than you may be able to find something cheaper........ but....... Moog is a four letter word!
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am

I got mine for around 400 used. It is worth it to me for the CV and the distortion/degradation of the sound as it decays.
It doesn't just output a mirror of the input over and over like a digital delay. It's cheaper than a tape delay!
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:28 am

Get it for 400 used and it's not so bad. It sounds lovely. I featured it on this:

http://www.box.net/shared/ystv06cufj/1/ ... /351419170

Using the CV control to vary the wet/dry in real time. Lots of possibilities for precision control on the fly.

_DemonDan_

Re: Analog Delay

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:What makes the Moogerfooger Analog Delay worth its astronomical price tag?
I would be using the Delay with a Voyager Old School.
While it may be a bit of "flame bait" to talk about other products, I feel that I have earned enough
Moog cred to be allowed to share my experiences with all varieties of instruments and processors.

I already own a Little Phatty Solar CV, Etherwave Plus, and the CP-251 as well as all of the MF's
with the exception of the MF-104Z Analog Delay. I will probably own that one too, some day...

There are many things that the 104z does that are very desirable. One of my favorites is just how
well its Delay Time responds to Control Voltages. Even if you send Saw or Square LFO waves with
lots of amplitude you tend to get musically useful results. The Drive feature, a standard of MFs, is
always useful and appreciated. The ability to control Wet/Dry Mix and Feedback with CVs is also a
great path for exploration. And finally... it just sounds "right" in so many instances.

Plus there's the whole "Collect All 8!" mentality that made me beg my Mom to keep buying the
same type of breakfast cereal for months when I was a kid. In general, it's safe to say that the
more Moogerfoogers you have, the cooler your rig looks. (Whoever thought of making each MF
have different colored rocker switches knew what heart strings to pull.) And they just all play
and work together so nicely; each MF purchase revitalizes all of your other MFs and CV synths.

But delays are something that I want in many varieties. To paraphrase a T-shirt seen at NAMM,
"Love One Woman, Love Many Delays". (Although I suppose that statement could be interpreted
at least a few other ways ;-)

Here are two digital delay pedals that I like:

DigiTech TimeBender pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4arlipIwfIk

DigiTech TimeBender pt. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRk2HO-kpo

BOSS RE-20 Space Echo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKScK9M5AYU

Although not shown on the video, I have since discovered that the TimeBender does cool things
with Control Voltages applied to the Control Pedal Input. It may also work on the RE-20 but I
haven't tried it yet. (Use a CP-251 Attenuator to make sure the voltage doesn't get too high.)
I use my Etherwave Plus' CVs through the CP-251 a lot on various effect pedals.

If you haven't already heard it, here's my MF-101 demo that's going into an MF-104Z:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8YnPqfxyk

What can I say? I love them all. Hope this helps a little.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

What I love about my 104's ( I have two - the only fooger I have duplicated in my setup ) is the environment they put the sound in. That, the long delay time, and the controllability of them forced me to get a 2nd unit so I can process stereo synths if I like. Thank god I found the 2nd one used.

I also want to check out the Boss unit, and the Delay Modeller from Line 6.

Again, the sound quality... There's something about them that reminds me of a lot of the synth sounds I fell in love with in the 80's as a child.

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks, guys, for your "input." I'm quite in favor of buying the Moog Analog Delay, but I'm still choking on the price. And I don't buy used instruments any longer, so it's $700+ or nothing.

I don't need the pedal for sound effects, but only for giving more depth to my Voyager OS's musicality.

beatkitchen

Post by beatkitchen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:28 pm

I have the 104z and love the tone and cv inputs. I used to have an sib blue echodrive and I think the moog is definitely a step up. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have had to return mine 3 times in less than 5 months because the power inputs have all been faulty. Has anyone else had this problem and found the solution?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:so it's $700+ or nothing.
I don't need the pedal for sound effects, but only for giving more
depth to my Voyager OS's musicality.
In that case you should at least *try* the MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CarbonCopy

It's full of Analoggy goodness...
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Novamusik can probably get you a deal on the 104, if you call them and talk to them.

So 640 perhaps.

Id probably second what Dan said, the Mxr carbon copy or the Boss re20 would be my next picks.

Eric

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:41 am

Yes, I've come across several mentions of the Moog delay breaking down. It certainly makes me hesitant, since the price of this effect is almost the price of an instrument, and the quality, therefore, should be superb.

I've had good success with Electro-Harmonix equipment. They're stuff is built like a tank. So, I'm still leaning towards the Memory Man or something similar. Anybody want to talk me out of it?

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:42 am

My delay broke down, but Ryan fixed it.

Works like a charm now. Id take it over any EHX delay any day, and not because its a Moog, but because It has CV's (Not that the ehx can't be modded)

If you want to talk NON Moog analog delays in the same price range there are some nice ones available, but not too many that will go as long or hace CV's, but DO have modulation possible.

The Diamond Memory Lane looks nice.