Foogers and Audio

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
jeepo

Post by jeepo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:58 pm

A mod to output the fm signal from the freqbox would be very useful, and fairly simple, judging by the block diagram
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

soundxplorer

Re: Foogers and Audio

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 am

latigid on wrote:You would need some kind of amplifier (not attenuator) to boost the audio signal to line level or even higher) Peak-to-peak voltages are on the order of millivolts for audio and volts for CV.
I do this all the time with line-level audio from my computer without needing an amplifier. I don't get the full 5v range, but I still get interesting results.

The main program I use is Arturia's 2600v because it is easy to patch things into the audio outputs and also the oscillators can easily get into LFO range. My computer interface is an M-Audio Delta 44, which is not DC coupled like the MOTU interfaces, but it still works for LFOs.

Anyway, I use these audio signals coming from the 2600v and route them to all sorts of destinations on my Moogerfoogers and Eurorack modules.

I have found that the most usable signals are closer to LFO range, or very low audio-rate signals. Once you start getting high into the audio range everything kinda sounds the same no matter what your audio is.

BTW, I would NOT try to amplify line-level signals before inserting them into your Moogerfoogers unless you have a multimeter handy to make sure they aren't going above the recommended 5v maximum.
Last edited by soundxplorer on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:05 pm

Samples? I will have to try what you are talking about. My only reluctance with amplification has been the +/- 5V range. I think a bit over is not going to harm anything but a lot over probably would and foogers are not cheap.

I will have to give this a try.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 pm

jeepo wrote:A mod to output the fm signal from the freqbox would be very useful, and fairly simple, judging by the block diagram
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. If you are applying FM to the freqbox's osc then thatll be at the osc out, if you are wondering about the signal that's being applied as FM, that's the audio signal that you send to the thing --

If yre trying to describe sth else sorry i totally missed it

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:29 am

Lux_Seeker wrote:Samples? I will have to try what you are talking about.
I'll see if I can cook up some demos before the end of the week.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

moremagic wrote:
jeepo wrote:A mod to output the fm signal from the freqbox would be very useful, and fairly simple, judging by the block diagram
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this. If you are applying FM to the freqbox's osc then thatll be at the osc out, if you are wondering about the signal that's being applied as FM, that's the audio signal that you send to the thing --

If yre trying to describe sth else sorry i totally missed it
I think the audio input is amplified prior to being used to FM the osc, it is this amplified signal to which i refer.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 pm

Here's a sample using Arturia's 2600v audio out to modulate the frequency of the FreqBox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1Ujvun3iQ

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:55 pm

soundxplorer wrote:
Here's a sample using Arturia's 2600v audio out to modulate the frequency of the FreqBox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_1Ujvun3iQ
Wow, interesting. OK, the first part is FM. If you modulation the frequency of the freqbox then that is by definition FM. I assume the sample is a voice. That is the problem with a complex waveform, its going to create loads of sidebands and it gets muddy. That is why if you look at a DX7 or the sofware version the FM8 it uses waveforms with only a few partials. A guitar sample might be a bit more interesting because it will stabilize into a waveform with less partials but be muddy in beginning which will sound more colored than muddy.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:08 am

Lux_Seeker wrote:A guitar sample might be a bit more interesting because it will stabilize into a waveform with less partials but be muddy in beginning which will sound more colored than muddy.
The truth is, most audio-rate things will all sound the same - buzzy and ringing. It all starts to sound like ring mod. I just did this video to show that you can use audio straight out of your computer without amplifying it.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:04 pm

OK, thanks. Yes, I can see that it works. Complex audio is not promising but some of the stuff you did from the ARP emulation is interesting. I am now wondering what some stuff might sound like from Absynth. Say fooling around with the first three partials. Absynth also also each multi segment to have a different LFO. This might be intersting to fool around so thanks for posting that. I am intriqued.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:09 am

Also in Absynth you can draw your own waveforms which means complex LFO's without a CV mixer.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 am

Klopfgeist wrote:Also in Absynth you can draw your own waveforms which means complex LFO's without a CV mixer.
True. Not only that but Absynth now has wavemorhing which presents even more possiblities.