Moogerfoogers as instruments??

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
analoghaze

Moogerfoogers as instruments??

Post by analoghaze » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:05 am

Anyone use Moogers are instruments.
I do.
I know they are "somewhat" limited with no VCA. (from modern Moog)
What are your secrets?
8)
I use the carrier out from the RM, osc out from the freqbox and the LPF with the resonance turned up as audio sources.

It sounds super cool using the other foogers to process the audio.

Who else has done something like this?

thanks
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

CTRLSHFT

Re: Moogerfoogers as instruments??

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:19 pm

analoghaze wrote:Anyone use Moogers are instruments.
I do.
I know they are "somewhat" limited with no VCA. (from modern Moog)
What are your secrets?
8)
I use the carrier out from the RM, osc out from the freqbox and the LPF with the resonance turned up as audio sources.

It sounds super cool using the other foogers to process the audio.

Who else has done something like this?

thanks
For a while I was using my FR XS for VCA duties (107 in to the audio IN as well) and using a midi kb to trigger it. Env OUT the XS was getting routed to a cp-251 to tame the signal the into the CUT IN of the MF-101, which basically gave me a Moogerfooger 1osc 1lpf monosynth. was quite lovely!
www.ctrlshft.com

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I use the Moogerfoogers fairly often to generate free-running drones and other textures (especially wind type things using the CP-251 noise and modulating the Lowpass cutoff in various ways). Another thing I like is setting the Lowpass resonance right on the edge of self-oscillation, and then using a slow S/H to randomly tweak it in and out of making noise (sometimes also with frequency modulation, sometimes without).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Ive said before, what I often do, since I work on linear based multitrackers which often have limited track/disk space, I often run an instrument through the Freqbox in the audio chain, with the mix set to dry, and when appropriate, I use a foot pedal or otherwise bring up the sound of the freqbox, to make it sound like a second, seperate synthesizer is playing sample and hold, or other percussive/melodic phrases. This saves on the tracks/disk space.

It is essentially using the Freqbox to accompany your main synth voice, such as the theremin or the voyager or MicroMoog or whatever you have going on.

On a seperate note, AH, you know what I would really like to hear? I would love to hear three delay pedals, with a phaser in one effects loop, and a murf in the second effects loop and a ringmod in the third lol. :wink:
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:25 pm

If you're not nesting the delays in each others fx loops, you're doing it wrong :p

I've done a few things with tuning the ring mod carrier and the filter to the same frequency, then letting them go for a couple hours as they drift out of tune, but I prefer to use more interesting sounds than a sine wave and I like to have my filter free to, you know, filter things!

I have set the delay to a high feedback and long time and used whatever notes were in there as a drumbeat, but I guess maybe that's cheating?

DontBelievetheHype

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:28 am

Playing 'foogers is good fun.. I usually route the 102 Carrier out to the Freqbox audio in, followed by the rest of the chain and twiddle away until something interesting happens. I have some clips, usually from my first discoveries with various effects&patches. I've also been using the Ringmod+MP201 as a faux VCA, and using it with the CP251 noise and other 'foogers for making simple percussion among other things.

These clips are just random clips and not 'prepared pieces'.. pos's maybe haha, but anyway after enough playing around like this I've learned quite a bit about the 'foogers and signal processing in general. These first two I made recently (just took out sections from an hour or two of making noise) using the CarrierOut and/or Lowpass as the sound source:

Animal sounds..
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8325754
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8325759

And this last one is from my first time 'playing' the 'foogers on their own a while back. It takes a while to get going, the Bass Murf comes on around 4min and I play the sliders in the 'breakbeat' pattern for a while-- It gets good around the 6min mark!! (get the hang of the sliders, changing pitch etc :D)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7379572
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:27 pm

AH,
What I was doing last night was I wanted to play my bass and talkbox at the same time. Now my talkbox could work with just the bass sound, but I wanted to use the classic sawtooth synth sound in the Troutman style, so heres what I did.

I hooked my bass into the Mult of the Vx351, sent one to the amp and the other to the freqbox, freqbox to the Banshee.

This allowed a clear bassline to be heard and when I wanted to sing, I just sang. To mute the talkbox all you have to do is not use the Mic, so this made for an interesting way to get simultaneous synth sounds when your hands are occupied, almost like two instruments at the same time.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:09 pm

EricK wrote:On a seperate note, AH, you know what I would really like to hear? I would love to hear three delay pedals, with a phaser in one effects loop, and a murf in the second effects loop and a ringmod in the third lol. :wink:
There are ALOT of things I need to try. I have only had delay number three for about a week now. I fist set the three in series using my Future Retro 777. It was GREAT!!!
Next, I put one in the loop of the Voyager and the other two on the outputs. (something I've alsways wanted to try. )
Right now, I am using them in an "effects only" set up that has been wired for 3 days now, still being tweaked and CV routing is still in process. (it sounds AMAZING!)

In the past, I have put all the MuRF in the loop of the delay with not the best results. I need to try it again.
What I may wire up next is the RM, 107 and LFF in the loop of the delays each self oscillating and each routed into a seperate delay. (hard to explain exactly what I am thinking)
I do write down everything I do with my gear. Something I started doing while I was in engineering school. (engineering log)

If you're not nesting the delays in each others fx loops, you're doing it wrong :p
This is something I am quite anxious to try.

Now my talkbox could work with just the bass sound
Sounds intresting.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

Maggotbrain

Post by Maggotbrain » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:52 pm

I got a FreqBox, a Ringmod, a Lowpass and a CP-251.
And a Doepfer A-100 Modular Synth + a Doepfer CV/Gate Keyboard.

Setup:
MF-107 FreqBox Audio Out → MF-102 Ringmod Audio In
102 Carrier Out → 107 Audio In
102 Audio Out → Doepfer Audio Mixer In
(Doepfer VCO's 1,2,3 → Doepfer Audio Mixer In)
Doepfer Audio Mixer Out → MF-101 Lowpass Audio In
101 Audio Out → Doepfer VCA In
Doepfer ADSR 1 → CP-251 Control Processor Mixer In
Other Mod. Sources → 251 Mixer In
251 Mixer Out → 101 Cutoff Freq In
Doepfer ADSR 2 → Doepfer VCA In
Doepfer CV/Gate Keyboard → Doepfer Bus Access (CV In/ Gate In)
Doepfer Bus Access CV Out 1+2 → 251 Attenuator 1+2 In
251 Attenuator Out 1+2 → 107/102 Freq In

= 5 OSC Monstersynth with easy Ringmod, Sync + FM-Action..... :twisted:

This works with any Modular Synth that's got at least 2 ADSR, 1 Audio Mixer
and 1 VCA.
:D

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:46 pm

EricK wrote:AH,
What I was doing last night was I wanted to play my bass and talkbox at the same time. Now my talkbox could work with just the bass sound, but I wanted to use the classic sawtooth synth sound in the Troutman style, so heres what I did.

I hooked my bass into the Mult of the Vx351, sent one to the amp and the other to the freqbox, freqbox to the Banshee.

This allowed a clear bassline to be heard and when I wanted to sing, I just sang. To mute the talkbox all you have to do is not use the Mic, so this made for an interesting way to get simultaneous synth sounds when your hands are occupied, almost like two instruments at the same time.

Eric
sounds like that could be a nice faux vocoder. I reeeaaallly want a freq box now! There are so many things I want to experiment with. I think some stuff is going to go on craigslist soon lol

But yes I play my foogers all the time. One of my favorite setups is
102 carrier out to 101 audio in. 101 audio out to 102 audio in then into the 103. Drive everything to the max have the 101 self osc and sync up lfos and have them going in and out of multiple cv jacks. The result of that lead to "destroying planets" on my myspace page. There was also some sequencer in there going to foogers and micromoog (which I think also added more modulation...)
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:17 pm

One of the things that excited me when I got my first foogers was using the low-pass filter and phaser together - getting the low-pass to self-oscillate and putting that through the phaser set on high speeds. I overdubbed a "solo" onto a little ditty that my band improvised:

schmoops

Then we went into the studio and rerecorded the song, and I did the same thing with the low-pass and the phaser:

schweppes take two

I'm not sure if I had read Analog Days at that point or not - but either way I was definitely fascinated with the idea of using something other than a keyboard to control a synthesizer. I wasn't necessarily going for distinct pitches in these tracks, though I lucked into a few that happened to be consonant!

I also made a dub mix out of some outtakes of the same song:

schweppes loopy dub

Too much fun with an MF-104! (I lucked into an original one in a store in Kyoto where I was living) I had some gain structure issues that I wasn't quite aware of at the time so the track is a bit distorted. This time the "solos" are all done with the MF-104 and source material from the Schweppes outtakes.

I also experimented with using the moogerfoogers and CV to create some music, but those are languishing somewhere on MD and probably aren't worth revealing anyway.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Great thread here and some interesting sounds. What has always impressed me about foogers is that they are more like modules than effects. Sure, the main function of each fooger is an effect but they also have oscillators, envelope followers, LFOs and the like that can be patched the way modules are.

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Here is a demo of only Moogers.
WHat you hear is the Low Pass Filter's self oscillation when I crank the resonance.
There is some Moog delay goodness in there as well.

8)

Thanks for watching..... oh... this may be my first demo (with Moog gear) where there is absloutely NO CV at all controlling anything!

enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85jCAwfuncY

Dexterecus

Post by Dexterecus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm a bassist (and also play some classical guitar), and recently I've been mesmerised by the Moogerfoogers.

Now I've been thinking of buying the bundle with the 101, 102 and 103 together but with the purpose of using them as instruments (so I won't be putting my bass through, well not always at least).

The kind of music I'd like to create is drone, spacey soundscapes, various psychedelica and I'm also highly influenced by Pink Floyd, Ufomammut, ...

So would this be a good idea?

Keep in mind that I have no experience with Moogs or any synths at all.

Thanks!

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Dexterecus wrote:Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm a bassist (and also play some classical guitar), and recently I've been mesmerised by the Moogerfoogers.

Now I've been thinking of buying the bundle with the 101, 102 and 103 together but with the purpose of using them as instruments (so I won't be putting my bass through, well not always at least).

The kind of music I'd like to create is drone, spacey soundscapes, various psychedelica and I'm also highly influenced by Pink Floyd, Ufomammut, ...

So would this be a good idea?

Keep in mind that I have no experience with Moogs or any synths at all.

Thanks!
I'd go Murf, Ringmod and LFO Or Murf, Freqbox, LFO for that if you were looking to use it as a drone machine. I'd also want a CP-251 and a few Expression pedals to make it controllable. I'd wait on delays or Phasers in the beggining. (Though the Phaser can do some interesting things to the sounds beyond a standard phase shifter.)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."