The Last Frontier - MuRF

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:17 am

Thanks for correcting me on that. THe murf eludes me in a few ways, price point being the first. Its the one that I lack the most and as such, know the least about.

Thats what I meant, I should be more careful before speaking in sbsolutes lol.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

moremagic

Post by moremagic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:47 am

Ask anyone in my band -- I know way too much about synthesis and way too little about playing ;)

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

moremagic wrote:
EricK wrote:The envelope I guess sweeps to the cutoff frequency.
Not exactly -- The MurF is a filter bank, not a single adjustable filter. The envelopes are really the volume rate at which the different filters become audible
Aha! Thanks. That is what the manual says and that also makes a lot more sense. I am assuming that the individual sliders set the level of resonance and the envelopes are atenuating the filter or you might argue technically chaning the mix between clean and dry signals. This would mean that the signal is dry at the beginning and ending of the envelope.

The time reverse effect I presume is simply by inverting the amplitude envelope from 5 to 10 on the envelope knob.

This also means that with the exception of the LFO, the MuRF is not, as was said, sweeping filters otherwise you would hear an effect like a wah wah pedal and will perhaps interesting, not as musically useful as blending the filter level.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Lux_Seeker wrote:
moremagic wrote:
EricK wrote:The envelope I guess sweeps to the cutoff frequency.
Not exactly -- The MurF is a filter bank, not a single adjustable filter. The envelopes are really the volume rate at which the different filters become audible
Aha! Thanks. That is what the manual says and that also makes a lot more sense. I am assuming that the individual sliders set the level of resonance and the envelopes are atenuating the filter or you might argue technically chaning the mix between clean and dry signals. This would mean that the signal is dry at the beginning and ending of the envelope.

The time reverse effect I presume is simply by inverting the amplitude envelope from 5 to 10 on the envelope knob.

This also means that with the exception of the LFO, the MuRF is not, as was said, sweeping filters otherwise you would hear an effect like a wah wah pedal and will perhaps interesting, not as musically useful as blending the filter level.
The sliders control the gain of each filter (they have fixed resonance, I think).

From the manual:
Each filter has a slider that adjusts the gain of that filter. In this respect, the MuRF resembles a graphic equalizer. When a filter’s slider is all the way down, the gain for that filter is zero, and the filter’s output is zero. When the slider is all the way up, the filter’s output is at maximum. However – the resemblance to a graphic EQ ends there. The MuRF’s filters have characteristics that set them far apart from a graphic equalizer. First, they are resonant filters. They boost the signal at the center frequencies of the filters. Second, they are tuned so they don’t overlap. A graphic equalizer will theoretically not color the signal at all when all the sliders are set to the same level. The MuRF’s resonant filters on the other hand color the signal a great deal, adding warm analog resonances at pleasing intervals throughout the frequency spectrum.

The envelope controls how the volume of successive steps of the sequence are brought into the sound. It is controlling the amplitude envelope of whichever filters are active at that point in the sequence. Anywhere from a no attack/quick decay to a slow attack/slow decay, to quick attack/no decay. It doesn't have anything to do with the mix of clean and effected signal.

You are correct that the MuRF does not 'sweep the filters,' except in LFO mode where it moves the center frequencies of each of the bandpass filters.[/quote]

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:42 pm

OK, thanks, this makes sense. I woudl presume then that if all the sliders are at their lowest then there is no gain to the filters and therefore, no effect on the sound?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Lux_Seeker wrote:OK, thanks, this makes sense. I woudl presume then that if all the sliders are at their lowest then there is no gain to the filters and therefore, no effect on the sound?
It would depend on where the Mix knob is set. If Mix was on 10, I don't think you'd get any sound at all.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Yes, that would be my assumption as well. That actually creates some interesting possibilities.