Connecting Foogers - The Switchblade Solution

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Lux_Seeker

Connecting Foogers - The Switchblade Solution

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:23 pm

New way to patch foogers

I have as of late been thinking a lot about how to patch my foogers. The simple solution is a patch bay but I wanted to see if I could find something that thwould let me change the audio configuration of my foogers, and for that matter my synths, at the touch of a button (or footpedal).

For CVs the MP 201 should do nicely although not nearly as flexible as I would like but the envelopes and LFOs and it's doubling as a MIDI to CV convertor sold me on it. Moog is a bit slow in getting me one but hopefully mine will come soon.

For audio I have been looking at two products. One is the Vodoo Labs "Ground Control Pro" which at first glance is interesting but the routing is fixed. Basically you can switch effects in or out. For the price, it was a no go for me.

The only other alternative I found is the Sound Sculpture "Switchblade". This one is either an 8x8 or 16x16 matrix patching system. You might call it a patch bay on steriods but for those who are familiar with the EMS VCS3 or the ARP 2500 you might recall the pin based patching system. That is more or less the "Switchblade" for whatever you want to plug into it. That and it has an editor and footpedal control for crossfades. Imagine using a footpedal to crossfade between the ring modular and the Freq box. Of course, there are ways this can be done with a bit on trickery on the MP 201 (I think) but here, its very direct and will work with any effect.

I decided to get one. It set me back and yes, I could have ordered some great hardware for the same price but integration of my system is important to me and how quickly I can get from one sound to another is also important. With the switchblade, and the push of a button (even with my feet), I can repatch my whole system on the fly. That saves me huge amounts of time so in the end, the music benefits.

Wondering how others have tied their foogers together?

Bryan T

Re: Connecting Foogers - The Switchblade Solution

Post by Bryan T » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Lux_Seeker wrote:I decided to get one.
Awesome! That is one piece of gear that I would absolutely love. I often will repatch things while playing in order to change the order of effects. Having that easily recallable would be brilliant.

I like to build loops using the my Foogers and a looping pedal, but then I like to process the loop using the Foogers.

I look forward to hearing a review of the Switchblade.

nrdvrgr

Post by nrdvrgr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:29 am

Not so impressed by looking at the website though, maybe because I imagined a "pin-styled" matrix ;)

Programming presets might be good, but at that price? I would stick with a 100$ patchbay...

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:54 am

I have all my effects patched through my mixer, each with dedicated channels so I can re-route everything to everything and create feedback loops. Maybe not as easy to use than a simple footswitch but it works great for me.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:34 am

There is no doubt a high price for this but for me its a question of time. I am not so much of a techie that I really want to spend lots of time repatching And as I said, this is not a patch bay on steriods. It has routing options thatt are simply not possible on a patchbay without additional equipment like a splitter. As for the matrix, its accomplished via source and destination. Each connection gets assigned a name and then the patches are created with a series fo source and destination designations which is like the making a connection on a VCS3 style matrix.

This also allows me to change patches right in the middle of a performance which has great advantages for recording.

The web site is granted, sparse but that does not matter to me. It's whats in the box that counts.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 am

Sparse website? There was all the info I could have wanted on there. 7 pages on the switchblade and plenty of links to manuals and connection hints.
The only thing that would hold me back is the 1200 price for the 8B. Since I'm a home only guy at this time, speed and ease are not of the essence. If I was to go live, it would be mandatory!
That is a cool gizmo. So are the MIDI power tools. Improved modular versions of functions of the FC-200
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:36 pm

I think we are definetely in diffferent situations and yes, if I had lots of time I am not sure I would be as concerned. I am not planing of using it live but I do want to start to create more complex arrangements so I can do a lot live and change programs and patches during a performance.

The Switchblade also is loaded with MIDI contol so it opens up some possiblities that otherwise would not be possible.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Would the switchblade beable to switch cv paths too? That would be fantastic!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 am

It's probably DC decoupled for clicks and pops, so I'd say not.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:06 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:Would the switchblade beable to switch cv paths too? That would be fantastic!
I don't think so. The Switchblade actually mixes audio. If you send, for example, four sources to a common destination, the switchblade will mix them based on levels that the user sets (and can be controlled by a pedal). I think the voltage level of CVs would destroy the electronics.

However, I would love to have something like that for CVs and I agree, that would be fantastic. Perhaps Moog will think about this some day.