Sync'ing the Midi Murf : Why they choosed to use Song msgs ?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
aboulafia

Sync'ing the Midi Murf : Why they choosed to use Song msgs ?

Post by aboulafia » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi, I've just bought a Midi Murf and I'm trying to sync it with my Eventide PitchFactor. The Eventide provides a tap tempo utility AND sends corresponding midi clock messages to midi OUT. I tried it with an Evolver without problem.

I thought I could sync the Midi Murf the same way but it seems that the Midi Murf needs to receive a midi 'start' or 'continue' to start being in sync. Why ? I don't see the point. The MMurf sequencer is always active : I mean, when I power on the sequencer IS running so waiting for a midi 'start' is meaningless. It should only take in account the midi clock, and optionally midi 'start', 'stop' or 'continue'.

Just to be sure I've checked that midi clock is well sent by the PitchFactor with Midi OX Windows monitor utility)

So, is there a solution for live stage syncing with another midi device when we don't have any way to send midi start or stop messages ?

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm

The point of the start and stop is so that the pattern will reliablty start at the beginning of the animation pattern everytime. Essential if the pattern has rhytmic elements and must play along with other parts. Because midi defines start, stop and continue, it would be a shame not to implement it in the midi MuRF.

Sorry it doesn't help you,
B

aboulafia

Post by aboulafia » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:36 pm

I don't find very reliable not being in sync at all ! Seriously...
Implementing start, stop, continue is obviously a good idea but when I power on the MMurf the seq IS playing, so why should that gear need to receive a 'start' or something msg ? The MMurf receive the real clock tempo but don't take care about it. It's non sense or I've missed something or did something wrong with my setup.

I just did some experiments :
1) When the MMurf receive a PC, the rate led goes ORANGE meaning that the device is syncing to Midi Clock (I did not see mentioned in the manual)
2) Then I start sending midi clock data to it but they are ignored
What I call Midi clock data are like this :
0006EF61 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EF76 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EF8A 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EFB9 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EFB2 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EFC7 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006EFDD 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F00A 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F006 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F019 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F02F 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F044 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F072 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F087 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F09B 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F096 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F0C4 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F0BF 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F0ED 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F102 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F116 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock
0006F12B 1 -- F8 -- -- -- --- Timing Clock

Who is wrong ? Me or the firmware ?

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm

Is it just me...or isn't it normal to have everything already powered up iso. let a seq. run and then in the middle power up something which has to play in sync with the rest.
I guess that doesn't work for alot of equipment to get into sync.

aboulafia

Post by aboulafia » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:10 pm

Just to be sure to be understood :
1) I power all my stuff in random order (and ever a specific order don't solve my problem).
2) The Eventide start sending midi clock messages
3) The Evolver instantly get synced to the Eventide because it 'sense' the midi clock
4) The MidiMurf stay out of sync because she waits (it's a girl) for a midi song start msg.

This is weird to my point of view because the sequencer of the MidiMurf is always running, so it SHOULD sync without waiting for anything else.
Midi song messages should be an option when the whole stuff is driven by a DAW or anything that look like a MIDI/Audio sequencer capable of sending midi song messages. In my case it's not. I use dozen of pedals on stage, including several MF, but no PC...

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi; sorry about this.

I'll try to add this feature in the next MF-105M firmware update. I have a couple of other projects lined up already, so it might be a little while... so far, no other problems reported with the MIDI MuRF and I would prefer to fix more than one thing, if possible, to justify doing an update.

So, if anyone has any other MIDI MuRF firmware issues, let me know about them...

thanks!

-Amos

aboulafia

Post by aboulafia » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 am

Glad to here you ;-) At least I'm not mad...

Maybe you could put a sticky message on this board for 1 week, a kind of poll about possible firmware bugs - You could post a corrected firmware if nobody complains.
Because THIS bug is a big one, considering that the most important feature of the MMurf Midi implementation IS sync. At least the only feature one can use without any computer or pedal board programming...

So, I wait I wait I wait ;-) But I'm impatient !!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Amos wrote:Hi; sorry about this.

I'll try to add this feature in the next MF-105M firmware update. I have a couple of other projects lined up already, so it might be a little while... so far, no other problems reported with the MIDI MuRF and I would prefer to fix more than one thing, if possible, to justify doing an update.

So, if anyone has any other MIDI MuRF firmware issues, let me know about them...

thanks!

-Amos
Hi Amos,

We haven't met or spoken yet. My name is Daniel Fisher and I'm a recent Moogerfooger fanatic. Although I've been playing Moogs since 1978 I only recently bought my first Moogerfooger, the MF-105M. The possibility of creating my own MuRF patterns along with MIDI Sync made it too irresistible.

In the next 30 days I bought an MF-107 (awesome!), then a week later an MF-101, and then an MF-102.

I even made a YouTube video showing off the MF-101 (more to come):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8YnPqfxyk

Anyway... I'm writing to enthusiastically reinforce the request for a way to have the MIDI MuRF sync to MIDI devices that don't send Song messages.

My new MicroKorg XL doesn't and my Roland SH-201 doesn't, nor do many keyboards that have an Arpeggio but not a Sequencer.

I'm less concerned about making sure that the MuRF pattern is on the right "beat" as the Arpeggiation. I can just let Zen take care of that. Or, perhaps, Bypassing then Enabling the footswitch at the desired moment would work.

But it really needs to be able to get into a non-Song Start sync mode without any computers or special MIDI messages. Something involving switches and knobs while powering up would be fine as long as it stays in that mode.

Ideally that mode would lock to Clock when it sees Clock and go back to the Rate Knob when it doesn't. That way, connecting a MIDI cable with something sending Clock is all I'd need to do to get it going.

Thanks for listening!

:twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted:

Director of Product Optimization
Sweetwater Sound