mf-104z effects loop inquiry

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
beatkitchen

mf-104z effects loop inquiry

Post by beatkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 pm

I have the mf-104z and it's really great. The only thing I wish it had was an effects loop that would affect the first repeat. I'm sure there is an explanation for why moog choose to build the circuit this way. But, is there a mod that can be done for a different send and return that would affect the entire delayed signal, starting with the first repeat?

I sent this question to the moog website and got this response. I'm thankful for the response but I don't think he got my concern. I don't want the input signal to have the effect, just the delayed repeats, like a memory man, but way cooler, because it's the mf-104z.

"Hi Michael. Your 104 is functioning properly. The Loop out jack comes after the analog delay chips so you do hear one repeat before the effects loop send. I'd recommend moving your effects processor to the beginning of your chain so you effect the signal before the 104's input. Ryan Tech Support Manager"

Any help would be appreciated.

CTRLSHFT

Re: mf-104z effects loop inquiry

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:11 pm

beatkitchen wrote:I have the mf-104z and it's really great. The only thing I wish it had was an effects loop that would affect the first repeat. I'm sure there is an explanation for why moog choose to build the circuit this way. But, is there a mod that can be done for a different send and return that would affect the entire delayed signal, starting with the first repeat?

I sent this question to the moog website and got this response. I'm thankful for the response but I don't think he got my concern. I don't want the input signal to have the effect, just the delayed repeats, like a memory man, but way cooler, because it's the mf-104z.

"Hi Michael. Your 104 is functioning properly. The Loop out jack comes after the analog delay chips so you do hear one repeat before the effects loop send. I'd recommend moving your effects processor to the beginning of your chain so you effect the signal before the 104's input. Ryan Tech Support Manager"

Any help would be appreciated.
you could just take the delay out and run that to your external effects, then take the mix out and record that on a seperate track, with the mix knob tweaked to taste. It's not precisely what you want, but pretty much the same thing if you get the levels right.
www.ctrlshft.com

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 pm

This was my biggest surprise when I got my Analog Delay. I liked to use pretty dramatic effects (pitch shifting, ring modulation, etc.) in the loop and having that first 'normal' repeat was kind of odd.

beatkitchen

Post by beatkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

I would to do this live with my funk/reggae band.

How about this?

Delay out > octave up pedal >

Y Cable >Amplifier
Mix out >

Yikes. Does that make sense?

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Why is your amp in the loop? Are you processing the tone further with it?

Be careful not to overload the input signal too much so you don't fry anything.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

beatkitchen

Post by beatkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:16 pm

An idea is to take the signal out of the mf-104z through the mix out and delay out (delay out -> octave pedal) then to a Y cable, then to the amp.
I don't know what this would do. I would really like to figure a way to make this work. The moog has every feature I want but this feature just seems strangely designed.
I had a Blue Echodrive by a company called SIB! It was an awesome sounding tube analog delay but I wanted the CV inputs so I sold it for a great profit (Enough to purchase the Moog). The Moog has a nice overdrive feature just like the Echodrive, all of the great tone, plus the effects loop.
Any other suggestions? Thanks!

beatkitchen

Post by beatkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Bryan T wrote:This was my biggest surprise when I got my Analog Delay. I liked to use pretty dramatic effects (pitch shifting, ring modulation, etc.) in the loop and having that first 'normal' repeat was kind of odd.
Did you keep the Moog?

beatkitchen

Post by beatkitchen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 pm

EricK wrote:Why is your amp in the loop? Are you processing the tone further with it?

Be careful not to overload the input signal too much so you don't fry anything.

Eric
The amp isn't in the loop. I tried to make a diagram in my last post and it came out weird. It's a normal live setup. Guitar -> Effects -> Amp.

I'm stuck.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:54 pm

beatkitchen wrote:Did you keep the Moog?
No, but not for that reason. The Moog is definitely my favorite delay pedal I've had.