The noise level on the MF101 LPF is a big letdown

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
facon

Re: The noise level on the MF101 LPF is a big letdown

Post by facon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 am

Any permanent fixes for use one the road? Is shielding the entire unit the only thing that helps? This appears to be a problem specifically with the Moogerfooger low pass and not all of Moog's low pass filters used in the rest of their products. It would be great to hear from Moog on this, because my low pass is also very noisy.

Btw, like mentioned above, at line level it's not nearly as noisy. I can use it post in the studio no problem. It's when it's in the signal chain for a guitar. The is also my only Fooger that needs the drive almost all the way down for guitar.

derdon

Post by derdon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

@Alien8: Of course eliminating such things is the key to a clean recording in any studio environment.
But if you have one noisy unit in an environment of many that work fine (especially from the same series), it is most likely that you have to take a closer look at the unit instead of your studio environment.
Proper shielding has nothing to do with band aid. Most effect pedals come in closed metal enclosures - for good reasons. The Moogerfoogers have (great looking) wooden side panels, so maybe the problem will be solved in a few minutes with two pieces of copper tape.
I´ll have to wait for the tape delivery and post the results for my unit here.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 am

@derdon: I was just providing input to your comments, based on personal experience. Be open to it or try to be right; that choice is yours. You probably already know this too: if you touch a pedal and the noise gets worse, you have a grounding issue in your entire system, just like when you take the plug out of your guitar and touch the tip, and you get a loud buzz. Are you sure you don't have a phase issue between pedals in your chain? Best of luck eliminating the noise!

I would be interested in Moog input as well. There a lots of users that avoid the lpf due to comments like these. It's worth the headache for me, its such an awesome tool.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

derdon

Post by derdon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Dont mix up audio signal and enclosure shielding here. If you touch the tip of your guitar cable, you short circuit. Of course you will hear a humming.
If you touch the sleeve, you shouldn´t hear anything because you are connecting the ground of the unit with yourself (grounded with the floor).
That´s what I am doing when I touch the MF-101.
Read my post again and try to understand what I am saying. The unit behaves like this even standalone behind a power conditioner in a totally seperated 230V recording environment according to german DIN standards - ONE ground level. EVERY other unit I have works fine even with the cheapest PSU, other moogerfoogers as well. NO issues here. So NO there is NO grounding issue to my entire system.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 am

The two biggest offenders in my studio for noise are the monitor for the security cameras and any smartphone turned on. Anyone lays their phone on an amp and all hell breaks loose. No phones and no tvs allowed when recording. And my 101 is my noisiest Fooger, but not my noisiest stomp box by any stretch. Way to resurrect an ancient thread!
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

BuffaloVoice

Post by BuffaloVoice » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:40 am

Hello,

Can you please help me in getting UNITY GAIN on my MF-101 please? Where should the KNOBS on the Unit and my Guitar Volume be initially to get the YELLOW LEVEL LIGHT to come on on the MF-101 please? All cords are new as is the Unit. I did it when I first got it, but now, I forgot the specific steps.

Thank you in advance.

SC