moogerfooger controllers ...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Post Reply
The Radium King
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

moogerfooger controllers ...

Post by The Radium King » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:27 am

hi there. i'm new here, and new to modular sythesis. i have a cp-251, a lowpass filter and a ring mod, and am scratching the coin together to get a delay as well. i am a guitarist, and have many other effects pedals, including an electroharmonix hog. i would note that the hog takes cv control of the expression pedal, which is what initially got me buying moogerfoogers in the first place.

i am currently looking for a method to get cv control that allows me to plan longer phrases. that is, some kind of sequencer with cv output. i would also like the opportunity to use this device to get some rudimentary vco action from my ring mod and, in the future, a freq box or modular synth. finally, if things go that route, it would be nice to have a cv controller of some sort - a cv keyboard or somesuch.

i am aware of several pure analog sequencers that consist of timing chips and pots to tune voltages, but i am wondering if i would be better served with a digital sequencer and a midi/cv converter. this would allow me to sync/control my microkorg, as well as avoid constant tuning, etc.

so ... any suggestions for analog cv sequencers ... or ... digital sequencers ... and ... good midi/cv converters ... and/or .... cv controllers?

thanks for any and all help.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Re: moogerfooger controllers ...

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:41 pm

The Radium King wrote:hi there. i'm new here, and new to modular sythesis. i have a cp-251, a lowpass filter and a ring mod, and am scratching the coin together to get a delay as well. i am a guitarist, and have many other effects pedals, including an electroharmonix hog. i would note that the hog takes cv control of the expression pedal, which is what initially got me buying moogerfoogers in the first place.

i am currently looking for a method to get cv control that allows me to plan longer phrases. that is, some kind of sequencer with cv output. i would also like the opportunity to use this device to get some rudimentary vco action from my ring mod and, in the future, a freq box or modular synth. finally, if things go that route, it would be nice to have a cv controller of some sort - a cv keyboard or somesuch.

i am aware of several pure analog sequencers that consist of timing chips and pots to tune voltages, but i am wondering if i would be better served with a digital sequencer and a midi/cv converter. this would allow me to sync/control my microkorg, as well as avoid constant tuning, etc.

so ... any suggestions for analog cv sequencers ... or ... digital sequencers ... and ... good midi/cv converters ... and/or .... cv controllers?

thanks for any and all help.
check out the Future-Retro Orb!
www.ctrlshft.com

toryjames
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:21 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: moogerfooger controllers ...

Post by toryjames » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 pm

1) I have a Paia MCV8 that I am happy with, it has 8 cv outs and is very inexpensive. But it is a kit so you have to solder the thing together and calibrate it.

2) If you want something ready to go out of the box I also have a Kenton Pro-Solo Midi-CV converter that is pretty easy to work with and not much more $ than the Paia. Though it only has 2 CV outputs and a gate output.

3) If you don't mind using a computer and want greater versatility and accuracy you might want to check out the MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) Volta software. It works with MOTU's audio interfaces utilizing the audio outputs as CV signal outs. It has a calibrate function that tunes the CV signal to whatever oscillator you are using (without having to open up the oscillator and tune it yourself), if you want to use the Ring Modulator's oscillator this would probably be your best bet. From what I hear it is difficult to use as a tuned oscillator because it is not internally calibrated to 1 volt per octave.

Hope this helps.

The Radium King
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Post by The Radium King » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:27 pm

thanks folks. i'm currently looking at the orb and the mfb step64. the orb is cool in that it incorporates a midi/cv converter so that i can use a cheap midi keyboard to produce cv. the orb is only single track, however ...

the mfb step64 is multi-track, so i can get all kinds of crazyness going on, but it doesn't appear to work as a midi/cv converter (that i can tell from the manual, anyway). if anyone with any experience with this could comment ...

the other sequencer i'm considering is the synthesizerdotcom unit. cool, but again a midi/cv converter would be required. the paia unit looks the ticket, but then i'm in the modular downward spiral, selling blood for more vco's and adsr envelope generators ...

or, get one of the many midi units out there and the kenton midi/cv converter ...

for some luddite reason i am resisting the ease of going to a soft sequencer. i'm not sure why, other than it may also be the guitarist in me that doesn't trust anything he can't spill beer on.

User avatar
analoghaze
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: analog paradise
Contact:

Post by analoghaze » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:37 pm

I have a Dot com Q119 sequencer that I really enjoy.
It changed they way I make music.
Very fun. I would highly recommend it to anyone with Moggers.
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

toryjames
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:21 am
Location: California
Contact:

Post by toryjames » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:47 pm

You know what? Just wait for the Moogerfooger Sequencer to come out. :D

slabwax
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Ballard

Post by slabwax » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 pm

toryjames wrote:You know what? Just wait for the Moogerfooger Sequencer to come out. :D


I hope that's not when hell freezes over.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:30 pm

slabwax wrote:
toryjames wrote:You know what? Just wait for the Moogerfooger Sequencer to come out. :D


I hope that's not when hell freezes over.
The day they complete the moogerfooger line w/ an eg and vca module is the day i expect to see a moog seq in development.
www.ctrlshft.com

The Radium King
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Post by The Radium King » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am

that would be a good day. dunno if i want to wait, however (general consensus is that hell is going to get hotter before it ever freezes over ...).

the electro-harmonix hog is currently serving as my vca and eg. while digital, if feels and sounds analog. i think they decided to go digital given the huge amount of note tracking that has to happen (i've heard the pigtronix analog guitar synth and it is very glitchy).

the hog is a multi-octave unit with octave down, two octaves down, octave up, octave+fifth up, two octaves up, etc. etc. etc. it has a lowpass filter with resonance control and attack/decay control (two controls - one for the upper octaves and one for the lower). it has a spectral filter and seven expression controls that meet hte moog cv standard - filter sweep (with resonance) wah, volume, step bend, octave bend and two different gliss/latch options.

works great for guitar.

ps, i'[m leaning towads a cheap midi/cv converter. that provides the most options and doesn't preclude an analog sequencer in the future.

of course, if someone makes a nice multi-track sequencer with built-in midi/cv conversion for a good $$ i'm all in ...

r05c03
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Post by r05c03 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:08 pm

The Orb Sequencer from Future Retro?
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

DontBelievetheHype
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:19 am

Post by DontBelievetheHype » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:31 pm

The Radium King wrote:that would be a good day. dunno if i want to wait, however (general consensus is that hell is going to get hotter before it ever freezes over ...).

the electro-harmonix hog is currently serving as my vca and eg. while digital, if feels and sounds analog. i think they decided to go digital given the huge amount of note tracking that has to happen (i've heard the pigtronix analog guitar synth and it is very glitchy).

the hog is a multi-octave unit with octave down, two octaves down, octave up, octave+fifth up, two octaves up, etc. etc. etc. it has a lowpass filter with resonance control and attack/decay control (two controls - one for the upper octaves and one for the lower). it has a spectral filter and seven expression controls that meet hte moog cv standard - filter sweep (with resonance) wah, volume, step bend, octave bend and two different gliss/latch options.

works great for guitar.

ps, i'[m leaning towads a cheap midi/cv converter. that provides the most options and doesn't preclude an analog sequencer in the future.

of course, if someone makes a nice multi-track sequencer with built-in midi/cv conversion for a good $$ i'm all in ...
I have an enjoy a HOG, but sonically it is the very definition of digital with its chimey tone (though the lowpass and spectral gate can reign it in). Also, other than having 'guitar synth' written on it, it has a quite a different feature set than the Mothership, and it isn't really fair to compare the two. I haven't heard too many good things about the Mothership either, but it is more of an analog "synth" while the HOG is a basically a digital harmonizer that can track anything, even the lowest notes on bass (well, not complex chords, but everything else including dirty/shaped signals). Great pedal though and all the EHX stuff is scaled well for use with the MP201/EP2/etc. The Glissando mode is too much fun..

I don't have any comments on the sequencer, other than that I've been very interested in the MOTU setup..
Synth bass guitar rig including MS-20 filter clone, Paradox TZF, MF101, 102, 103, 107(x2), CP-251 and MP-201

Post Reply