MF-103 sweep-in vs. MF-102 carrier-in

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

MF-103 sweep-in vs. MF-102 carrier-in

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Hello altogether

Recently SteveD helped me set up a patch to sync the MF-102 to a Murf using a CP-251. The controlling of the rate of the tremolosound was done using the carrier-in. In the meantime my MP-201 has arrived and I'm wondering whether I could use the same trick (cancelling the pedals own LFO and use the external one) with the sweep-in of a MF-103. If so I will get rid of my old phasers and get my hands on a MF-103;-)

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Michael

You can easily control the sweep of the 103s filter externally by setting the AMOUNT control to zero and applying a control voltage to the SWEEP input. SWEEP IN is slightly different, in that it only controls the last six stages (in 12-stage mode). In this way you can get complex phasing by setting each modulation source (internal and external) to different rates and amounts.

I'd highly recommend the MF103, it is the richest phaser I have heard and has all the CV you could want.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi latigid on

Thanks for the information provided!

I'm selling my to old phasers (Boss/Digitech) and a Doepfer MIDI/CV interface (made obsolete by the MP-201) via e-bay, which should hopefully raise enough funds for a stage phaser;-)

Not yet having read enough about phasers, what exactly are those stages?

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Phasers are comb filters, kind of like several notch filters spaced at even frequency intervals. A 6-stage phaser has 3 notches in its spectrum while a 12-stage has 6 notches. For the MF103, the 12-stage mode is a lot less subtle sounding, especially at high resonance. But the other mode is equally useful.

There's a nice writeup about phasers in the 103 manual.

Btw, I still keep the Boss PH-2 handy as it can produce some great not-so-intense phasing.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:04 am

latigid on wrote:Btw, I still keep the Boss PH-2 handy as it can produce some great not-so-intense phasing.
And it does awkward things with feedbacks;-)