Synchronisation of MURF and RingMod

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
SteveD

Post by SteveD » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Michael -

Try patching the square wave through the Lag processor. The issue is probably due to the square wave "overshooting" a little somewhere in the signal path with the fast rise and fall times. You can use the Lag processor to slow down the rise and fall times just a hair to get rid of the clicks, while not losing the essence of the square wave control signal.

I've used that a bunch when modulating say filter cutoff, or mix on the 101 or 102 to get rid of clicks... It's one of the many uses for the Lag Processor...

As far as getting multiple rhythmic subdivisions of a triangle wave in the analog domain is tricky at best - I can't think of anyway off the top of my head to do this w/ a CP-251 and Ring Mod...That's a trick for the MP-201 Multipedal :^)

With the volume thing on the LP, the LP is expecting 0 to +5 Volts and the triangle wave is probably at +/- 2.5 V or so... There is a control on the mixer called OFFSET that can shift a +/-2.5V signal to 0 to +5 it biases the whole mixer output up or down in voltage...OFFSET Should probably be set around +2.5 for the LP... That could be useful to mod the Volume of the LP...

Enjoy!
SD

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm

SteveD wrote:Hi Michael -

Try patching the square wave through the Lag processor. The issue is probably due to the square wave "overshooting" a little somewhere in the signal path with the fast rise and fall times. You can use the Lag processor to slow down the rise and fall times just a hair to get rid of the clicks, while not losing the essence of the square wave control signal.

I've used that a bunch when modulating say filter cutoff, or mix on the 101 or 102 to get rid of clicks... It's one of the many uses for the Lag Processor...
Thanks! That's another great relieve!
SteveD wrote:As far as getting multiple rhythmic subdivisions of a triangle wave in the analog domain is tricky at best - I can't think of anyway off the top of my head to do this w/ a CP-251 and Ring Mod...That's a trick for the MP-201 Multipedal :^)
They should have built a sort of Doepfer A-163 frequency divider into the CP-251;-)

Hopefully my RE-201 will be sold on Friday and if so then certainly I will get my hands on a Multipedal!
SteveD wrote:With the volume thing on the LP, the LP is expecting 0 to +5 Volts and the triangle wave is probably at +/- 2.5 V or so... There is a control on the mixer called OFFSET that can shift a +/-2.5V signal to 0 to +5 it biases the whole mixer output up or down in voltage...OFFSET Should probably be set around +2.5 for the LP... That could be useful to mod the Volume of the LP...
I will try this tomorrow. But changing the offset will alternate the nature of how the 4-inputmixer output of the CP-251 affects the RingMod won't it? I find the sweetest region to keep the offset in is between 12 and 2 o'clock.

Have you tried it out aswell? Hope you had your amusement;-)

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

SteveD wrote:
You could also use the 4-input mixer to combine the CP-251 triangle wave and the MF-102 CARRIER OUT signal - the mixer out would get connected to the CARRIER IN. This could be used to get one MuRF synced Ring Mod tremolo and one not- synced Ring Mod tremolo - sort of...

SD
Could I use this trick with the MF-103 SWEEP IN? If so i might have to get my hands on even more moog equipment;-) The MP-201 is on it's way...