The Ultimate Moogerfooger

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Voltor07

Thank you CTRLSHFT!

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Very nice...I'd actually forgotten how beautiful those mock-ups were! :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 am

I like the module formate of the CP251's as well, but the thing I've really come to value about my moogerfoogers is that it's really easy to pull one out of the rack, put a back on it, and take it to a gig. I ran my Prophet '08 through the phaser.. absolutely amazing!!

Then of course, after the gig, I come home, pop it back in the rack, and it's back to being my modular system.. with a bypass switch on it no less!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 am

peterkadar wrote:I like the module formate of the CP251's as well, but the thing I've really come to value about my moogerfoogers is that it's really easy to pull one out of the rack, put a back on it, and take it to a gig. I ran my Prophet '08 through the phaser.. absolutely amazing!!

Then of course, after the gig, I come home, pop it back in the rack, and it's back to being my modular system.. with a bypass switch on it no less!
the cp251 format is just as easy to pop-out for a gig, and takes up less space! :)
www.ctrlshft.com

Anna's Digit

Post by Anna's Digit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:11 pm

exelent idea
Who 'em i ? who are you ?
Born in 1987 .
http://www.myspace.com/donteatdinosaurs (8bit/lo-fi proyect)

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:34 pm

At this point, I 've watched what seems like countless videos of Moogerfoogers in use, in order to get a sense of the capabilities of each device. It seems clear that the Moogerfooger line was developed primarily with sound effects in mind, rather than musical tones and nuances. (Of course, the phaser and echo can be very musical, but I'm speaking in general. And besides, phase shifting and echo are not unique to synthesizer.) I realize that many synthesists are thrilled with this arrangement, and revel in producing complex noises and effects that fascinate, and admittedly have a certain mystique about them.

However, I'm from the other school of thought that looks upon the synthesizer as a musical instrument of almost incomprehensible potential. That view still allows for an appreciation of its sound effects potential, but it doesn't over-emphasize it. As a result, I don't find the present line of Moogerfoogers to be anything to get exited about. I'd like to buy a few more Moog devices to build up my Voyager Old School, but there really aren't any that interest me (accept the phaser and echo). I did buy a CP-251 module, primarily to allow the simultaneous use of pulse width modulation and vibrato at different rates while all three oscilattors are being used, and it does the job very well. Everytime I hear it I think, "There's just nothing like a Moog."

The reason I first stated that the "ultimate Moogerfooger" would be a true and straight forward oscilattor is because of the view that the synthesizer is primarily a musical instrument, rather than a sound effects box. I would love to have the ability to add on one or several oscilattors identical to the Voyager's second and third oscilattors, but that's not presently possible. It seems ridiculous to me that Moog didn't provide this possibility from the start, especially considering the renewed interest in modular synthesizers. And to speak of the Voyager or the Little Phatty as the basis for a modular, without offering additional oscilattors, is just a joke.

No other Moogerfooger could possibly be of more musical value to me than such a module. What's it going to take to create a four or more oscilattor Voyager that's Moog from top to bottom?
Last edited by The Analog Organist on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:33 pm

The Analog Organist wrote:At this point, I 've watched what seems like countless videos of Moogerfoogers in use, in order to get a sense of the capabilities of each device. It seems clear that the Moogerfooger line was developed primarily with sound effects in mind, rather than musical tones and nuances. (Of course, the phaser and echo can be very musical, but I'm speaking in general. And besides, phase shifting and echo are not unique to synthesizer.) I realize that many synthesists are thrilled with this arrangement, and revel in producing complex noises and effects that fascinate, and admittedly have a certain mystique about them.

However, I'm from the other school of thought that looks upon the synthesizer as a musical instrument of almost incomprehensible potential. That view still allows for an appreciation of its sound effects potential, but it doesn't over-emphasize it. As a result, I don't find the present line of Moogerfoogers to be anything to get exited about. I'd like to buy a few more Moog devices to build up my Voyager Old School, but there really aren't any that interest me (accept the phaser and echo). I did buy a CP-251 module, primarily to allow the simultaneous use of pulse width modulation and vibrato at different rates while all three oscilattors are being used, and it does the job very well. Everytime I hear it I think, "There's just nothing like a Moog."

The reason I first stated that the "ultimate Moogerfooger" would be a true and straight forward oscilattor is because of the view that the synthesizer is primarily a musical instrument, rather than a sounds effects box. I would love to have the ability to add on one or several oscilattors identical to the Voyager's second and third oscilattors, but that's not presently possible. It seems insane to me that Moog didn't provide this possibility right away, especially considering the renewed interest in modular synthesizers. No other Moogerfooger could possibly be of more musical value to me than such a module. What's it going to take to create a five oscilattor Voyager that's Moog from top to bottom?
They aren't going to make modulars exclusively because the market isn't strong enough for it. the best thing we can hope for are alterations to the design to make them easier to put into a modular context. We definitely need a Moog mixer+vca+eg to really get the most out of it though.
www.ctrlshft.com

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 am

Moog seems to be sticking with the monophonic market. That, in itself, is quite limiting. So, if they really want to dominate this corner of the synthesizier world, they had better produce something that's extremely unique and powerful. Again, that could be an expandable multiple-oscilattor Voyager that excels all other monophonics.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

http://modusonics.com/prod04.htm
go here and check out the dvco. two moog vcos can be used seperate or synced. all for under $500
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:30 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:http://modusonics.com/prod04.htm
go here and check out the dvco. two moog vcos can be used seperate or synced. all for under $500
i didn't realize they were making those for so cheap, wow
www.ctrlshft.com

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:12 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Before you go out and order one, keep in mind that that is the 2007 price. I'm sure EricK can give you an up-to-date price, as he is building a modular through them. I think he said the prices increased 10% in 2008, but I could be wrong.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:
Before you go out and order one, keep in mind that that is the 2007 price. I'm sure EricK can give you an up-to-date price, as he is building a modular through them. I think he said the prices increased 10% in 2008, but I could be wrong.
that's still a steal imo! I have to say tho that i would rather get a couple 107s than a dual vco, much more in mod dept :)
www.ctrlshft.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Ummm that is probably NOT an accurate price. Probably double that.

Here are the aforementioned price lists.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 am

Im going to submit that that module is an old one, probably around the era of the parametric EQ, the 12 stage phaser and the other Eq that we have seen floating around ebay, as well as the Vocoder and String Filter modules that were offered.

Moog Custom Engineering WAS a department at Moog, but then later it became Moogce and now Modusonics when Mike Bucki sold the name back to Bob Moog. WHat you see in that module is probably from the time period when they were still a part of the Moog factory, just the custom engineering dep. Mike Bucki worked there I think in that dep.

The Address on the back of the unit is not Bucki's and will probably narrow its production down to a specific time frame.

THe Dualing VCO doesn't appear on any of my price lists.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 am

That is also quite a bit of rack space to house just 2 oscillators. You could fit a driver and 7 921B's in that same width but twice as tall, or 4 921's and twice as tall. I don't like that the patchpoints are on the back, but having that would still be a nice addition to anyones synth rig. Voltages would likely need attenuation though.

Eric

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:39 am

I actually emailed mike bucki a couple months ago(unfortunately I didn't ask about price) about the unit to see how compatible it would be with my micromoog and he said it would work perfectly and that I would only need to have a jack on the micro installed so I could send the pitch ribbon out. So it still available

Width wise yes its a lot of space, but its not very tall. If you stack another one on top you will have 4 vcos in the same amount of space as 4 921s
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step