Frequency to CV Conversion

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri May 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Vitja B wrote:Is there a way I could amplify a Env.out on LPF?
With CP-251 maybe?
Yes, but it requires a bit of patching. You'd use the multiply section to make a copy of the envelope CV. Then you need to mix the two (or more) multiplied signals in the mixer section.

The attenuator isn't what you'd want, as that would decrease the signal.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri May 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Bryan T wrote:
With CP-251 maybe?
Yes, but it requires a bit of patching. You'd use the multiply section to make a copy of the envelope CV. Then you need to mix the two (or more) multiplied signals in the mixer section.

aren't the attenuators on the newer cp (with out the red nuts) +5/-5 volts? So you should be able to boost it by 5v then
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:
Bryan T wrote:
With CP-251 maybe?

aren't the attenuators on the newer cp (with out the red nuts) +5/-5 volts? So you should be able to boost it by 5v then
yeah they're + or -, works great
www.ctrlshft.com

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Fri May 01, 2009 3:11 pm

I didnt know there is a difference between old and new CP. So,thats easy then!
Uff, I see you can get addicted to all this! Every day I find a new trick on just three foogers. Thenx for the info! Im writing all this down in may notebook and waiting for a CP arrival. :D
MF-101,MF-102,MF-104Z,MP-201,PRS Custom24/10 top,Acoustic G100T,many more.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri May 01, 2009 4:00 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:aren't the attenuators on the newer cp (with out the red nuts) +5/-5 volts?
Yes.
So you should be able to boost it by 5v then
I don't think so. It is an attenuator that can also invert the signal. It doesn't boost, as I understand it.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Fri May 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Bryan T wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:aren't the attenuators on the newer cp (with out the red nuts) +5/-5 volts?
Yes.
I don't think so. It is an attenuator that can also invert the signal. It doesn't boost, as I understand it.
Your right, I have been reading the manual. It does not boost. Any ideas on how to boost?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Fri May 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Lux_Seeker wrote:
Bryan T wrote:
Yes.
Your right, I have been reading the manual. It does not boost. Any ideas on how to boost?
Maybe . . .

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Fri May 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Easiest way for me is to set a drive knob to max. I have discovered that foogers offer much more when they are set to hi gain application. Especially LPF, but then you dont have clean sound any more.

MarbledMoog

Post by MarbledMoog » Mon May 11, 2009 9:24 pm

there was also the 360 systems that John McLaughlin used for awhile in the mid/late 70s. Sounded awesome. There's a video of him dueling Carlos Santana and John's tone eats Santana's alive!

I really want to be able to explore pitch-to-cv being a guitar player and synth lover. I think that module would be a little bit too close ended to make a sole moogerfooger out of. The biggest market is guitar players who want analog synth sounds. Someone else mentioned using winds with a pitch-to-cv converter, but thats an even more limited market. Isn't that also what the lyricon used to do?

What would be probably the most affordable route to get a pitch-to-cv rig going? Using the oscillator from a Ring Mod and the filter from the mf-101 would be bare bones, but could get one there. The pitch-to-cv module is what would probably cost a chunk of change.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue May 12, 2009 7:53 pm

MarbledMoog wrote:there was also the 360 systems that John McLaughlin used for awhile in the mid/late 70s. Sounded awesome. There's a video of him dueling Carlos Santana and John's tone eats Santana's alive!

I really want to be able to explore pitch-to-cv being a guitar player and synth lover. I think that module would be a little bit too close ended to make a sole moogerfooger out of. The biggest market is guitar players who want analog synth sounds. Someone else mentioned using winds with a pitch-to-cv converter, but thats an even more limited market. Isn't that also what the lyricon used to do?

What would be probably the most affordable route to get a pitch-to-cv rig going? Using the oscillator from a Ring Mod and the filter from the mf-101 would be bare bones, but could get one there. The pitch-to-cv module is what would probably cost a chunk of change.
There are pitch to analogue modules out there now but yes, they are expensive. However, I prefer analogue to digital not for reasons of analogue sounding better in genral but my distant for the use of a fast fourier transform which is how any digital pitch to CV works.

Here is Alan Holdsworth on a SynthAxe, similar to a ZTar in many ways.

I see no reason for pitch to MIDI because the only advantage of this over a ZTar or something like it is pitch bend and I personally think any pitch to MDI device does a terrible job at that not because of the electronics but the nature of the fast fourier transform.

Analogue is natural as is hard sync which is why I believe it responds in a more natural way.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 pm

I also want to post this on Holdworth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhmLkVHNHcE

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Here is more info on the 360 system:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/04 ... -bode.html

This is basically a ring modulator. For those who have the ring modulator fooger you will notice the familiar sound in the link to the sound file you will find here. I don't know if this has a CV out or not.

Vitja B

Post by Vitja B » Thu May 28, 2009 12:27 pm

I will build a pitch to Cv system out of doepfer and Analogue Systems moduls and doepfer miniature case. I just hope It could track ring modulator and filter.
Than you have much more to explore.

Lux_Seeker

Post by Lux_Seeker » Thu May 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Vitja B wrote:I will build a pitch to Cv system out of doepfer and Analogue Systems moduls and doepfer miniature case. I just hope It could track ring modulator and filter.
I would love to track frequency so I could feed the CV to my fooger ring modulator. I could also use MIDI to CV from my Korg M3 which I have not tried yet.

When I get a modular, a ptich to CV module is one of the first I will buy.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:09 am

Vitja B wrote:I will build a pitch to Cv system out of doepfer and Analogue Systems moduls and doepfer miniature case. I just hope It could track ring modulator and filter.
what modules are you putting in the mini case, other than the pitch>cv of corse? I like those minicases I think that was a really great idea on their part to get people introduced to modular stuff. I eventually want to get a mini systems and pitch to cv might be the way to go.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step