Osc/Carrier outs and mixers...too hot a signal or safe?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
EricK

Osc/Carrier outs and mixers...too hot a signal or safe?

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Friends,
Most of us already know not to hook our Osc and Carrier outs (107/102 respectively) to a speaker because the signal is just too dang loud.

We also might be aware of the mixer on the cp251, or various companies mixer modules exactly for these purposes, such as the mixer module on the Voyager.

My question is this. If we have a mixing board, can we run the outputs from the 107 and 102 or any oscillator direct output to a mixing board or is the level too strong on that as well?

I don't have a mixer module like those found on dotcom and Moog modulars, and the Cp251 is not perfectly suited for mixing purely audio signals.

Also, if its just a regular output on the mixer, can we run the risk of blowing either the audio input on the Voyager or another console like a ROland VS recorder.

My functional application would be to get a mixer, so that I can combine the audio of the theremin, the Micro, the Voyager and the Taurus into one track on my ROland Vs-840. Also, if Im not using the mixer in that fashion, Im wondering if I can use the mixer when using both the 107 and the 102 as tracking oscillators before running it back into the Voyager without using the CP251's mixer.

Any tips or suggestions woudl be appreciated. This setup would be temporary until I get a mixer module which may be a few years.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm

It doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but I don't know much about mixing boards. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Why don't you put the signal through an attenuator to get it down to line level?

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Well my friend is going to let me borrow his board really so that I can get the Theremin, Micro and Voyager all on at the same time and playable together and recording into 1 track, that Im not concerned about.

I thought that I could get double usage out of this board by using it as a mixer for oscillators prior to going back into the Voyager for filtering.

Oscs are ALWAYS firing regardless of whether or not the VCA is open enough for us to hear it. I wonder if this will damage the boards.

How much attenuation would it take to reduce them down to a line level? How would I know, just by listening to it or the channels woudl indicate thay theres no clipping? I have a multimeter but I don't know if thats possible to measure the signal like you are referring to Bryan.

Eric

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Most likely the oscs are coming out at say 2.5V pp. As long as your mixer can handle line levels (+4 dBu), you should be able to attenuate them down to a usable level. If not, just use the gain slider/knob on the mixer. Most go to infinite attenuation anyway.

I've plugged my 102 carrier into a bass amp, no troubles. Probably, if anything happens, it'll just be hard clipping the preamp. Watch your speakers, though!

(Should be fine, Eric, but YMMV)

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

You are already using your CP-251 attenuators on the CV signal I bet.

It can't hurt to try hooking up a pot to use as an attenuator. *might want to double-check this info online first* Use the middle pin (wiper) as the input and ground one side (left), then run the output off the right side. Then you can make your own passive mixer.

I have seen a bunch of active mixer circuits online and they have every input through it's own 100K resistor to quiet the signal, then they run all of those into a dual op amp to bring the signal back up to the right level. That would be more complicated to try.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Bryan B wrote:You are already using your CP-251 attenuators on the CV signal I bet.

It can't hurt to try hooking up a pot to use as an attenuator. *might want to double-check this info online first* Use the middle pin (wiper) as the input and ground one side (left), then run the output off the right side. Then you can make your own passive mixer.
I think this is how the attenuator works in the Walking Stick ribbon controllers. That would surely work! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for the responses so far.

Eric

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:19 pm

I run the carrier out of my ring mod into my berringer mixer all the time no problems just turn the level down on the mixer a bit.

I use it to send the carrier to the micro audio in. Set up like this; micro into channel 1 panned left, carrier channel 2 panned right, left out to amp, right out micro audio in. Or if im feeling crazy ill center channel 1 so its feeding into the micro and my amp :twisted:

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm

I've plugged the OSC OUT of my FreqBox into my Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer without any problems. I don't think you have to worry about mixers that much, but watch out for extreme low or high frequencies being sent to your speakers.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks!

Im going to try this today im going to lay dowm some stuff if I can manage it right.

Eric