MF-103 LFO Amount Doesn't Start Until 3

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Electrong

Post by Electrong » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 pm

I agree completely with Steve here, you might look at your settings to see why it is happening. I would only add this observation:

The resonance set at zero is the least pronounced level of phasing effect you have. It is a filter--after all--and the more resonance you have, the more you hear the edge of the cufoff frequency that's being swept.

The reason why the ring modulator is more pronounced is because it isn't technically a filter at all. It is one oscillator wave being added and subtracted to another oscillator wave, or carrier wave. That results in subtle or extreme changes in the wave-form and/or frequency of the input audio source.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:09 pm

I just got a used 103 from the Big Briar days, and man, it's anything but weak....

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 pm

I recently picked up an MF 103 used and have certainly noticed this. Seems like the lfo amount thing is just off a little on mine.

However, I have def. noticed that the phaser seems somewhat weak, if not at extremely wacky settings. A buddy of mine has a Big Briar model, and it sounds quite a bit different than mine. Mine is more bassy and almost muddy at times, while his can really get this nice shimmering sound with the resonance at high settings. Mine does not achieve this. I compared them side by side using the same synth patch and the difference is quite noticeable.

Also, there is a difference in the lfo rates between the two that is quite noticeable. Similar when cranked all the way down or all the way up, but settings in between are very different. Blinking lights at totally different speeds too.

Now, I understand that there will be subtle differences in these modules, as this is the nature of analog, but I'm concerned I may have to send this thing in to get looked at. I've already spent all my money on all sorts of other moog stuff. soooooo.....I'm hoping it's just different....

Any help and or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LeRoi on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DMorrish

Post by DMorrish » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:40 pm

Electrong wrote:The resonance set at zero is the least pronounced level of phasing effect you have. It is a filter--after all--and the more resonance you have, the more you hear the edge of the cufoff frequency that's being swept.
Also, remembering it's a filter, to really hear the effect, the input signal needs to have enough harmonic content. If the frequencies being filtered by the phaser don't exist in the input signal, you won't hear an effect.

To those saying the effect isn't pronounced, if you are using your phaser with a guitar and you are using your amp's distortion, make sure the phaser is not between the guitar and the amp. You want it in the amp's effects loop. That way the signal going through the Phaser is the one coming from the pre-amp stage which will have distortion. This distortion adds harmonic content to the signal. When the phaser filters out some of these added frequencies, you will hear the effect.

If you have a distortion pedal, make sure to put it before the phaser in the signal chain.

If you are using your Phaser with a synth, pick a patch with plenty of harmonics. Square and sawtooth waves come to mind.