Moogerfooger Order

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
soundresearch

Moogerfooger Order

Post by soundresearch » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Hello, I own the Murf,Low Pass,Ring Mod,FreqBox,Analog Delay, and the CP-251. I was wondering what would be the best way to chain these pedals together( in what order) or would it even matter? I know the CP could go anywhere. Thank You

Voltor07

Re: Moogerfooger Order

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:40 pm

soundresearch wrote:Hello, I own the Murf,Low Pass,Ring Mod,FreqBox,Analog Delay, and the CP-251. I was wondering what would be the best way to chain these pedals together( in what order) or would it even matter? I know the CP could go anywhere. Thank You
Try 102 Carrier Out to 107 Audio In, Audio Out to 104z Audio In, Audio Out to 105 Audio In, Audio Out to 101 Audio In, and throw the CP-251 anywhere you choose. Or, run different things to different parts of the CP-251.

The whole point to Moogerfoogers is experimentation. As long as you can use an oscillator as an audio source, or a filter, if I'm not mistaken, or even the noise on the CP-251, the possibilities are endless. What's the fun in posting on the forums? Experiment! Oh. BTW. Hope you have lots of patch cables! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Psyop

Post by Psyop » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 am

I don't agree with everyone saying put your pedals anywhere. Whats the point in doing something if you never get it done?

You should place your Foogers as follows;

Compressor
Ring
Filter
Murf

Any other order is just going to make you spend all your time running cables. Put it like that and leave it. IF you have to make a change, then just change the patches in back, but leave the pedals like that. Thats how the audio freq wants to be heard most natural.

-M

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:10 am

That's an interesting point of view, but, hey, whatever works for you man.

If you place a compressor before the filter, then you will limit the expressiveness of the envelope follower. Maybe that's what you want.

N.B. the drive circuit in all 'foogers (maybe not the MuRF) acts as a buffer and provides some compression anyway.

The filter can produce "harmonics" of its own and so there is merit in, say, putting it before the ring mod. It can also filter off high frequencies going to other effects, which can work really well when you have a wet/dry split signal path.

There is an old saying (try searching this topic, it has been discussed many, many times) that says: add harmonics first (ring mod, Freqbox) then filter them out (phaser, filter, MuRF). I think most people suggest putting time effects (delay, reverb) last, but that depends on what you want to sound like.

Remember, you are playing with Moog equipment, which has vastly superior modulation capabilities compared to almost everything else out there. A subtle change in the order of effects will probably change your sound drastically.

If you want "standard" routings, they're fine for that too.

But why limit yourself?

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:31 am

There is no 'best' order for these effects. Putting them in a different order will provide a different form of processing. Some orders are more common (and perhaps useful) than others, but you should definitely experiment with all sorts of routings.

One of my favorite combinations is to put the ring modulator in the effects loop of the delay pedal. Repeats will be ring modulated, creating some very unique sounds.

The manuals give a few examples of patches you can do with multiple pedals. Try those and then think hard about the CV and audio routing options that you have at your disposal. Personally, I geek out on this stuff, so I come up with new routings all the time when I'm away from my Moog gear.

Bryan

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:28 am

I think the order of your foogers should be only defined by 2 things.

1. Which way you think they look the coolest
2. Which ones have the most scratched up/dented sides.

If they are on a table then if one fooger is scratched or other than perfect, you can hide those blemishes by putting it in the middle.

If they are going to be racked up then you decide which ones you would want to sacrifice the side cheeks on.

I don't see there being a solution to a permanent audio chain because these pedals aren't supposed to be wired like Boss effects pedals or other guitar effects. Its just a matter of personal preferance there and depending on how you want to use them.

This is like asking "What is the best patch for ____ modular synth?"

One user reccomended putting the 102 before the 101, well I could reccomend putting it after the filter. (Noone is wrong here) One might reccomend putting a murf at the end, well you might want to put the murf before the 101.

It really just depends on what your ultimate goal is or what instrument you are primarily using. See, for me I use them mostly for synthesis first and then instrument processing second so the 107 and the 102 can be independant today and slaved tomorrow. I generally keep the delay at the end of the chain though, particularly because I didn't want to remove the cheek piece and because if I decide to use it, thats the best place for me to put it.

So really just get enough patch cables to tether the moon to the earth and experiment!

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

soundresearch

Post by soundresearch » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Neekau

Post by Neekau » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 am

Well, I'm surprised that no one talks about impedance !

MF103 & 104 outputs are 5kOhms
MF105, 105B & 107 are 1 kOhms
MF102 is 600 Ohms, which is the best to go directly in a mixing desk...
(I don't know for MF101)

As all inputs are 1 MOhm, I would suggest to put mf102 at last position if you go direct into a console...
"There's something wrong about this world in which Clouds sells 5x more than Tides." O.Gillet

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 am

Hey, you're right! That never occurred to me, though I don't use my 'Foogers with recording equipment, so I never thought to mention that. :oops: :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:43 pm

(I don't know for MF101)

As all inputs are 1 MOhm, I would suggest to put mf102 at last position if you go direct into a console...
I never really understood this, how does this affect the recorded sound?
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:56 pm

Yeah, I don't know enough about this stuff. I figure that if I set my levels properly, I should be cool either way. What impact does impedance make?

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:01 pm

For the record, here's how my pedals are arranged:

Top rack: 2 CP-251's.

Middle rack: mf-107, mf-102, mf-103

Bottom rack: mf-104z, mf-105, mf-104z.

I put the ring mod in the center partly because it's an older model with Bob's signature on it.

I wanted to take the left and right outputs of the murf and send each of them into a delay.

Of course, this is just how they're physically arranged, but the signal routing is whatever I feel I need at the moment.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:15 pm

You mean don't always hook them up in numeric order ? :):)

I have no set way of hooking them up, it always depends on what I am going for. Nothing wrong thogh with a basic set-up that is your base though. For me, mine live on a shelf until needed, then hook them up as needed. With the MF104 I tend to put either the MF105 or MF 102 in the loop. Many times I'll use the CP251 to control several params at once, when I have a bit of time I'll start bringing the MP201 more into the set-up.

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 pm

My current order:
Ring, Lowpass, MuRF, Freq, Phaser, Delay

I used to run the MuRF at the end of the chain to take advantage of its stereo outs but I use the MFs mainly for my guitar now so...
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 am

Alien8 wrote:

(I don't know for MF101)

I never really understood this, how does this affect the recorded sound?
In short, mixing consoles and audio amps like my Peavey have inputs for High Z and Low Z. It's not so much an effect on the sound as it is on the internal components of the input. Although there may be some loss of signal, decreasing the volume.

It would be like putting a 4 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm amp. The amp will be strained, because the impedances aren't matched up, and the excess current will feed back into the amp. However, an 8 ohm amp CAN safely run a 12 ohm speaker, because there is more than enough impedance in the speaker to handle the current.

600 ohms is considered low impedance, whereas 1 or 5Meg ohms is considered high impedance. Sorry it took so long to answer, I had to brush up on my communication skills to explain this without being confusing. :lol: