MF107 Tracking Mod

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Black-Man

MF107 Tracking Mod

Post by Black-Man » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:26 am

I am considering a purchase of the MF107 to use as an extra oscillator w/ a modular synth. I read about tracking/stability issues and a tracking mod Amos performs to improve tracking. Has anyone had this done? Is it necessary to use the MF107 strictly as an additional oscillator w. a modular? Any input would be appreciated!

c7sus

Post by c7sus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:35 pm

The "mod" is tweaking a couple mini-pots. One controls the output voltage of the oscillator so you can fine tune it closer to the .96v or whatever it is per octave.

You wanna listen to the Osc output and play pitches two octaves apart and dial accordingly until you get as close to two full octaves of interval. I tried on my 107 but the pot 's range falls just an RCH short of making it TWO full octaves.

IIRC the other pot controls the sensitivity of the envelope follower.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:20 am

Where is this info on the mods posted? Is it possible to return it to factory settings afterward? I need to try this.

When I use my freq as an osc, I put the pitch CV into the "freq in" jack (not the audio). Then I run an envelope CV, gate or audio from a drum machine or another synth into the "audio input" to shape the volume of the Freqbox. When you run the same synth notes into the "audio in" the sync switch becomes a bunch more fun. When the sync switch is on, switching waveforms is a bit more glitchy though. I would love to get another Freqbox and have it be another oscillator.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:34 am

There was an earlier post regarding this issue: Search topic "FreqBox calibration/tuning." I believe Amos can install an internal multi-turn (higher resolution) trim pot if you require greater accuracy. I got mine calibrated to where I am happy with it without any circuit board modification. It's just like a fine tune knob - you can get the same results with a coarser one, but you need patience and a steady hand.

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:20 pm

MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

Black-Man

Post by Black-Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:08 am

So... for a standard 1v/oct CV one can only expect an accurate tracking of 3 octaves for this oscillator even with adjusting using the mini pots internally?

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi -

In my experience the freqbox should track a 1V/Octave input reasonably well across 5 octaves. Some may track accurately across a greater range and some may track across a lesser range - please keep in mind it was designed more as an effects processor than as a VCO that would track a 1V/Oct control input accurately from 20Hz to 20KHz....

Based on this, your mileage may vary greatly depending on your application as well. If you want to use the VCO for processing or as a sound source for basslines or melodies, then it is fine as is - if you want a VCO that you can play from an 88-key controller and have it be in tune across 7 1/2 octaves, then you may need more accuracy.

Hope this helps
SD