Lag Processor question...

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
EricK

Lag Processor question...

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:47 pm

Can someone please explain for me exactly what the function of the lag processor is? I have read the manual countless times and I know that it is supposed to shorten the time of a fastly rising waveshape.

Heres what im noticing.

THe Lag Processor will sweep a very wide frequency range. It will either sweep it very fast or very slow. I can't figure out what the function of this is for. I rarely even use it.

Now what I was thinking that it was for...lets say that I was using a square wave LFO and I thought that the lag processor would flatten out the wave so that I could control the interval that the squarewave LFO played on the frequency of an OSC. (Sort of like the amount controls of the 102)

Am i confusing this with the attenuator?

If anyone can give a more detailed explanation of the Lag Processor than the CP manual....I would be so appreciative.

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

till

Post by till » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:17 pm

The lag processor is smoothing the incoming voltage changes.
It is very like the portamento control on synths.
It will add a ramp on the beginning and the end of a sudden voltage increase or decrease. So a very low frequency LFO running at 1 Hz or less will transformed into a triangle wave if the lag setting is set right. If the lag is to long for the slew to rais all upward, then the amplitude is decreased of cause. Maybe this causes you to think of a attenuator.

The effect of the lag processor to waveforms is very like an lowpass filter with variable working depth in terms of frequency attenuation per octave.
But the lag processor is always limited to more low frequency content. Like modulation. For example you can smooth the foot pedal movement for one filter by using the lag processor and use the straight foot pedal connection for the other side of the stereo image. So the sound will change somewhat smoother on one side then on the other. nice panning and sound FX.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:54 pm

"Glide" or "portamento" on an analog synthesizer is the control voltage going from an analog keyboard through a lag processor into the VCO. As you increase the effect it takes longer and longer for the VCO to respond to the changing notes (jumps in voltage coming from the keyboard) creating a gliding or slide effect. A modular lag processor can be patched between any two modules (not just the keyboard and oscillator). Any sudden jump in voltage becomes a smooth ramp-like glide. A gate going into a lag processor becomes a swell, like a variable Attack-Decay envelope generator... etc.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanhks for your responses. This is starting to make sence. THis gives me some ideas.

Tell me if I'm on the right track.

Lets say envelope follower out on freqbox to lag pro in.
lag pro out to delay time in.

This would make it where at a certian volume level, the delay time would be triggered to slowly increase?

Is it basically like a signal that acts like trigger but is just a slow increase rather than an immediate one depending on the setting?

Eric

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:38 am

Just to be clear, the envelope follower puts out a swelling control voltage - an opening and closing envelope shape which mimics the volume of the incoming audio (it does not put out an on/off trigger like a gate). So running the envelope follower out through a lag processor would make that rising and falling control voltage even slower and more gradual. This would slow down the rate at which the delay time would be effected (like slowly turning the knob for the delay time, rather than turning it up and down quickly).

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:28 am

Hey,
THanks. THats pretty much what I thought, but I can tell that im going to need to really sit down with this circuit and experiment before I really understand it wholly.

Thanks for your response.

Eric

Tri5onaut

lag uses

Post by Tri5onaut » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 pm

hi, ( late post, just stumbled in here) I like using the lag to create odd time clock signals with the CP-251's square wave LFO into the LAG , and out to the murf's lfo/sweep input ( the saw LFO has (-) attenuation going into the murf rate input) now with a fast lfo rate, medium rate on the murf, the rise time 75% open , fall only 15-25% open, you get a nice elliptical filter sweep only dipping into the negative half of the square ( almost silent) for a sec, then slowly opening up over 2 measures. This is much better than choppy, on-off, out of time square wave modulation that's best suited for PWM. just wanted to share.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I think im finally clear on exactly what the lag processor does after the brief video demo of the Cp from the fooger dvd on the Cp product page.

Now I just need to get my Voyager fixed so I can really use it.

Eric

befey

Re: Lag Processor question...

Post by befey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:24 pm

I've found that the only way I can get a good envelope response from the MF101 Low pass filter (with vintage output PAFs) is to run the evelope CV out through the CP251 lag processor to both extend the UP cycle and also extend the DOWN cycle.