MURF TAP/STEP

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MichaelPeterTrowbridge

MURF TAP/STEP

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Wed May 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello everyone

I am currently trying to enable myself to Tap the Rate of the MURF. After reading the instructions i tried to use my FS-50 (Monacor), which is a momentary foot switch, to tap the tempo. But sadly it only worked for a very short moment.

As described in the instruction after taping thrice the rightmost LED lid up green at the taped tempo, but soon it jumped back to red again.

I know that it is ought to do that and play double the tempo taped, but in fact it jumps back to the tempo selected by the rate knob... So whatever tempo I tap, it soon skips back to the original tempo...

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 pm

You should check that your footswitch is Momentary, Normally Closed, Press-to-Break type operaton as opposed to Normally Open, Press-to-Make. Many footswitches are selectable in this way, but some are not. The Moog FS1 definitely works on the MuRF Tap/Step Input.

Hope this helps!

SD

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Wed May 07, 2008 5:25 pm

The strange thing is that the FS-50 is momentary and is in "on" position when held down...

By the way; What is the step function and how does it work?

Bryan B

I <3 the MuRF!

Post by Bryan B » Wed May 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Assuming it is the right foot switch, the tap should stay locked until you move the Rate knob or if you have any cables plugged into the Rate input on the back. Otherwise it is defective.

The Step function will allow you to advance through each step of the pre-programmed pattern with each press of the footswitch (or with every trigger/gate you feed into it). The main advantage of this, is that you can vary the spacing of the filter triggers instead of being locked into a tempo. This is great for making more complex arpeggiations!

Just in case you didn't know: If you put a stereo "Y" cable into the Tap/Step input, Tap will be one output and Step is the other.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Re: I <3 the MuRF!

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Thu May 08, 2008 2:08 am

Bryan B wrote:Assuming it is the right foot switch, the tap should stay locked until you move the Rate knob or if you have any cables plugged into the Rate input on the back. Otherwise it is defective.

The Step function will allow you to advance through each step of the pre-programmed pattern with each press of the footswitch (or with every trigger/gate you feed into it). The main advantage of this, is that you can vary the spacing of the filter triggers instead of being locked into a tempo. This is great for making more complex arpeggiations!

Just in case you didn't know: If you put a stereo "Y" cable into the Tap/Step input, Tap will be one output and Step is the other.
Thank you very much for the information!

After realizing that the footswitch is a nogo I unleashed the other weapon, being a MIDI/CV interface... I took the MIDI Arpeggio Tempo from my microKORG and fed it into a Doepfer MIDI/CV interface... I did receive the signal on the interface, but the MURF wouldn't respond to the CV...

To the interface output i plugged a stereo-jack that is splitted at the other end, connected the "black" end with the black end of another one of these "Y" cables and plugged that into the Rate Input...

Can you imagine what I am doing wrong?

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Thu May 08, 2008 6:14 am

SteveD wrote:You should check that your footswitch is Momentary, Normally Closed, Press-to-Break type operaton as opposed to Normally Open, Press-to-Make. Many footswitches are selectable in this way, but some are not. The Moog FS1 definitely works on the MuRF Tap/Step Input.

Hope this helps!

SD
Opened my FS-50 today and realized that I can fix it to be the other way round...

So the circuit should:
- normally be closed ("on")
- broke when foot down ("off")

Is this right?

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Thu May 08, 2008 11:31 am

So the circuit should:
- normally be closed ("on")
- broke when foot down ("off")

Is this right?

Hi -

That is correct. Also - so you know the TAP TEMPO input for the animation sequencer is on the tip of the input jack and the STEP input for the animation sequencer is on the ring of the input jack - so if you are using a Y cable be aware of this difference. The TAP input takes 3 taps to set a tempo - the STEP input advances the animation sequencer one step for each tap. If you are using a MIDI to CV device to get tempo info, I would think you would want a gate signal applied to the TAP/STEP input - applying tempo information to the RATE CV input doesn't work for syncing tempos...
I've also seen people use a drum machine output (outputing a metronome click) run through a level booster and into the TAP input to sync the MuRF to a drum machine - it works amazingly well.

Best Regards,
SD

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Thu May 08, 2008 2:01 pm

Sorry for my lack of competence...

I did plug the gate output of my interface into the TAP/STEP input aswell and that didn't work either...

Here's a link to my MIDI/CV interface:

http://www.doepfer.de/home_d.htm

Click on "produkte" and there you will see the MCV4 (english description available)...

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Make sure you are using the "Gate output" of the MCV4 and it should go into the "ring" end of your stereo "Y" cable. The Tip and ring will then be fed together into the stereo jack which should plug into the tap/step input on the murf.

If it is a splitter cable (or a mono "Y" cable), this won't work and the ends probably wouldn't be labeled Tip or Ring. I bought the wrong one when I first tried this and thought my Murf was busted. I bought a new labeled cable and it worked.
MemoryMoog Plus (with Kenton Midi Upgrade Kit) MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-102 Ring Mod, MF-103 Stage Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF-105M MIDI MuRF, MF-107 Freq Box, MF-108M ClusterFlux and CP-251 Control Processor.

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri May 09, 2008 10:10 am

Bryan B wrote:Make sure you are using the "Gate output" of the MCV4 and it should go into the "ring" end of your stereo "Y" cable. The Tip and ring will then be fed together into the stereo jack which should plug into the tap/step input on the murf.

If it is a splitter cable (or a mono "Y" cable), this won't work and the ends probably wouldn't be labeled Tip or Ring. I bought the wrong one when I first tried this and thought my Murf was busted. I bought a new labeled cable and it worked.
Getting closer :)

The stereo cables I am using are jacks which splits into a "Y" and I link the to "black" ends which should be connected to the tip (right?)...

So in fact I should be using the red ends as they are connected to the ring? I can't wait for this to work;-)

MichaelPeterTrowbridge

Post by MichaelPeterTrowbridge » Fri May 09, 2008 2:25 pm

IT HAS WORKED!

The Oscilloscope of my brother helped finding out that indeed the red mini-jack was connected to the TIP... So now I can sync the MURF and/or the LP to my MicroKORG... Brilliant!

Thanks for all the help!

Bryan B

Post by Bryan B » Fri May 09, 2008 7:34 pm

Glad to hear it! Have fun.

willi

Post by willi » Sat May 10, 2008 10:47 pm

I guess I didn't realize you could plug in a Y cable there, thanks. :)
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com