which fooger ??

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
slabwax

which fooger ??

Post by slabwax » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm going to buy one or two mf soon. I will be using it for more acoustic instruments. I'll use mics and contact mics via a small mixing board. My first thought is a ring mod. The second mf ? Im not sure. I wanted to find a unit that will give me a electrix filter factory type efects. Should I just find a used one (they are cheap these days) Is there another mf that would do that trick. I'm also open to a third manufacture's unit. Thanks for any input.

Dean

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:14 pm

My first Suggestion woudl be the Ring Mod.

Perhaps if you clarify with more detail what you might be looking to do with other instruments or whatever then we could better provide you with a reccomendation. Having said that, you may want to consider the cp251 because any MF that you add to your setup in the future, you will start to approach modular capabillity thus increasing the function tremendously.

Example:

You can take the Pulse LFO of the ringMod, and combine it with the pulse LFO of the CP and with some attenuation it will start to sound like an arpeggiator. You coudl also multiply an expression pedal to allow you to control the knobs of the ringmod with 1 sweep of the pedal.

Example:
Playing your guitar with a clean sound, sweep the pedal to increase the MIX knob to activate the effect and also increasing the LFO or the Freq of the RING mod at the same time.

You can also get a Sample and Hold OSC sound and then turn your acoustic guitar into an acoustic "Electric" sort of duet.

Depending on what other applications you plan on doing with it, whatever other MF pedal that you buy will greatly be multiplied and expanded upon with the CP 251, so whatever you do, youll end up wishing that you had one, and when you get one you won't be able to function without it!

Respectfully,
EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:07 am

Hi Erick

Thanks for the reply. I'll be using contact mics on percussion instruments. Gongs, wood blocks, modified snare drums etc... . I'm getting a jamman, so I'll feed the jamman's out into the mfs. I'm not sure what sounds I'm trying to get. But I do want some "out there stuff"

Dean

ChinaPig

Post by ChinaPig » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:15 am

... . I'm getting a jamman

Hi Dean,

Not fooger advice, but regarding the Jamman you might want to reconsider. There's a closeout going on and if you check out Musicians Friend and a few other sites you can get an honest-to-god Echoplex Digital Pro Plus with the footcontroller for $599, which is unbeatable. I bought two of them!

Evidently they recently stopped making the Echoplex. It's a really superior unit, and this would seem to be a once in a lifetime shot. You might want to hold of on the fooger and use the extra cash to grab an EDP while you can!

Chris[/i]

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:31 am

If you're planning on two, I'll second the suggestion to make one of them a CP-251. It really opens things up.

In terms of the other, I'd say Ring Mod or Lowpass Filter. Go for the RM if you want robot/bell noises, growls, deep and modulated tremolo, or high-end shimmer/screech. Go for the Lowpass if you want to do filter sweeps (either LFO-driven or auto-filter sounds), or spectral tweaks (from subtle to radical).

As a standalone unit (i.e., without a CP-251 also available) the Ring Mod will do more. If you don't get a CP-251, and do get the Filter, at least one expression pedal is also a must.

P.S. Remember that although it looks like you could get a Ring Mod and a Lowpass Filter and hook their CVs together to do things like modulating the Filter cutoff with the Ring Mod LFO, the possibilities here aren't as great as they seem unless you also have a way to control the strength of the signals -- the CP-251 is a must not only because of the signals it generates itself, but even more because you need it to mix/attenuate signals that are going between other Moogers.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:37 pm

IF you are a percussionist, I would definatly say a ring mod and CP. THe lowpass is cool, but won't give you the options to rip up your sound, which in percussion is a perfect chance to crank it to 11 and let go without destroying the performance of the other musicians.

The 101 will change your tone by darkening it, or adding melody with resonance. you can have the pitch change by either the auto envelope (similiar to an auto wah sound) the cp (sample and hold would be nice) or an expression pedal.

SO if you desire to add pitch and melody- go the low pass, if you desire to really add some new funky tones some sounding metallic, the ring mod.
Put the control P as #2, no questions asked :)
Electronic Violinist here

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Once more thanks for all the input.

It seems to be the general view that I should start off with a 102 and a cp251. I guess I can add the 101 at a later time. Ultimately I'm looking to have a a pedal based modular synth. And I have no idea what I'm looking at.

Thanks for the heads up on the echoplex. I look into it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:54 am

I ran a drum machine throuhg the 102 as well and with cool results. Let me also say that the Moog Delay is totally awesome when you insert ring modulation in the effects loop because something like a harmonic from a guitar will make it sound like you have a series of huge tubular gongs. I haven't tried acoustic percussion though. Drum Trigers woudl probably be optimal for that.

Have you seen the Moog Drum Controller?

Well I see a modular synthesizer in your future.

Once you start realizing the potentials of Control Voltages, you will want more.

See, Im like you too because I was born a percussionist. My drumkit is now 17 pieces and I can personally attest that one hasn't enough drums, nor enough limbs, nor enough space for all of the drums that one absolutely can't live without.

But since my increasing interest in modular synths...synth modules are the same way! So really what you are looking at is one evil demon fighting for prevalance over another, neither one can ever be satisfied and both of them require sustenance.

So, good luck with that hahaha.

THe Delay Pedal has a monster pricetag but it seems a perfect compliment to percussion.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:48 pm

I think the Low Pass Filter is worthy of serious consideration. It works great for doing filter sweeps like you hear in a lot of electronic music on drum loops, as well as using the resonating filter to follow the envelope.

What will be really useful is the envelope follower used on its own. You can use the envelope to control other devices. A somewhat complicated patch would be to use the envelope to trigger the sample-and-hold filter on the CP-251. Basically, whenever you played the drum over a specific volume threshold the CP-251 would spit out a random control voltage. Using that random voltage with the ring mod, low pass filter, delay, or other device gives you a lot of options. I've been using this a lot and having a lot of fun with it. You have some control over the randomness since the volume of your playing determines when the new random value is generated, but it still has enough unpredictability to be surprising.

Bryan