freqbox and little phatty

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
caliburn

freqbox and little phatty

Post by caliburn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:56 pm

ok - can someone help clarify my brain here, am I right in thinking that if I've got an FB and a LP - that I need a midi/cv converter to get the FB to sync in with the pitch of the LP.

if this isn't the case, can someone please let me know the config between the two of these guys so I can actually sync in the pitching to make the FB at least a little usable!!

cheers for any help you guys can give :o)

Cal

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:12 am

no converter needed. the FB tracks pitch via the audio input and turning the sync switch on

caliburn

Post by caliburn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:45 am

nice one - cheers :)

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:28 am

Just to expand a bit, there are two different ways you can track pitch with the FreqBox. The sync switch does hard sync, which is very cool but also significantly changes the timbre of the FB oscillator. If you want the FB to track pitch but keep the unaltered waveform sound, then that's what you use a MIDI-CV box for (the LP MIDI out goes to the MIDI-CV box, then the pitch CV output of the box goes to the Freq input on the FB).

Also, don't forget to experiment with plugging the Osc Out of the FB into the LP audio in. You can add nice drone effects that way (and other things as well).

gazer

Post by gazer » Thu May 08, 2008 3:30 pm

when i patch the mf 107 osc out into the lp's pitch cv input it seems to track.
The trick is you have to have an ep1 or ep2 plugged into the 107's freq input and the pedal has to be floored(pressed in all the way) then you adjust the 107's pitch with the freq knob. It has limited range though ,I think its working more like a real fast lfo thats been pushed into the audio range than a true vco. But it tracks. I wish moog would offer an upgrade cv jack panel for the other side that could provide the right cv ins and outs to properly control the 107's pitch to properly use it as a third vco. The lp has so much potential with that audio in jack but is lacking some real important cv jacks. Maybe add the vx 351/352 jack and make an expander box for the lp. VX-353 anyone?

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Thu May 08, 2008 4:54 pm

gazer wrote:I wish moog would offer an upgrade cv jack panel for the other side that could provide the right cv ins and outs to properly control the 107's pitch to properly use it as a third vco. The lp has so much potential with that audio in jack but is lacking some real important cv jacks. Maybe add the vx 351/352 jack and make an expander box for the lp. VX-353 anyone?
Exactly!

This is why I have hung onto my vintage ARP and am currently looking for a Moog Rogue or Micro Moog! If Moog would only give the same functionality to the LP that it had in its "low cost" synths of years past like the Rogue and Micromoog!

If Moog would add the CV Pitch / Gate outs to the LP, I would sell my vintage gear and buy the LP and use it to control my Moogerfooger setup. But because they did not add the CV outs and added a USB jack instead, I will not buy an LP.
Last edited by Henfield on Fri May 09, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 am

What if they rigged up a USB oriented expansion board in the style of the Vx351?

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri May 09, 2008 11:28 am

sounds like a job for a moog amp/eg/cv-midi converter box w/ maybe a mult/attenuator for styling!

all the more reason for a solution that would bridge moogerfoogers into modular synthesis w/ the 107. on top of that it would be great for applications involving the voyager and LP interfacing w/ moogerfoogers. :D
www.ctrlshft.com

gazer

Post by gazer » Mon May 12, 2008 6:37 pm

since the mp201's cv jacks are programable does that mean i can hook it to the lp via midi and assign pitch out to one of the cv jacks and have my lp's keyboard control the frequency of the 107's oscillator with osc out being patched into the lp's audio in and without having to engage the 107 or use the mp201's pedal to control the frequency? if so thats the midi to cv converter and so much more of my dreams ,and the thing that would keep my in love with my lp. I could use two of something that flexible. It might help curb my prophet 08 lust and keep the lp in my tight on space studio.
a polyphonic lp with the appropriate 1/4 inch cv ins, outs, gates, triggers that could control anything you needed to is still my ultimate dream synth. But if this mp201 can do all I need it to do. It could keep my busy until moog builds the lp polly. I'm not into voyagers, my brother has had one for quite some time. I chose the lp over the voyager because i like it better. I like how it sounds better. I like the streamlined very ergonomic panel. I like that it is smaller. Smaller should not mean less functional. I'm going to be irritated if I have to switch to a voyager just so i can have a vx351 to get a pitch out cv jack. I know moog wants to sell the voyager os as the ultimate modular controller, but if the lp had the right cv jack's
imho I think that would be the ultimate portable modular synth/cv gear controller?(even if it's kept monophonic). Its smaller lighter,can be calibrated without opening it up or sending it to a tech, Quicker and easier/more intuitive to program in a live setting. Give us a choice Moog. We are your loyal customers that rock your stickers on our cars, and preach to others about the magic that takes place in your circuits. I didn't buy the lp as a budget synth. cause I couldn't get a voyager. I chose it over the voyager.
I bought it because it inspires me creatively. With all the modular functionality that the moogerfoogers have It could do so much more, it bums me out.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue May 13, 2008 11:23 am

I would like to own an LP if only to replace my MicroMoog, to take the wear and tear off of it. Ive played an LP and owned a Voyager and there is really no comparison. The Voyager is just (in my opinion) outclassing it all together. THe keyboard and build are much better, the sounds are about the same though.

One thing that woudl keep me from owning the LP though is probably the lack of CV outputs at this time. I like the arpeggiator function and I think it would be a great slave synth to a superior controller like the voyager for an increased OSC bank. I just need a little more range than it offers.

If they made a 950 style keyboard controller that functions as a midi controller and a CV/Trig source then Id jump on it because it would be the modular keyboard for the MoogerFooger synth, it would increase the range of both the LP and the Voyager and make an excellent companion to the Softsynth programs like Arturia.

I would buy a Phatty if they had a RME version of it.

THe thing about extra CV's though is that once you start getting into CV's you can't have enough sources and destinations and you eventually yearn for the system 55, and a room big enough to house such a beast.

Moog Music though is great because they have always had the tradition of listening to the customers and building the perfect synth to accomodate us.

Respectfully,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.