MIDI /CV converters

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
ChinaPig

MIDI /CV converters

Post by ChinaPig » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Hello All,

By way of introduction I’m a newcomer to Moog Land (I’ll date myself by mentioning that in my first year of college in 1969 I watched some music prof named Herb Deutsch demonstrate an early modular system for my Intro To Humanities class. Who knew?)

At this point I’ve got the phaser, the ring mod and the CP-251, having started off with just the ring mod which I got originally for use as a guitar effect (a basement bomber who just likes making electric noise at this stage in my “career”, but still with the perverse dream of becoming a misunderstood, failed composer when I grow up) but almost immediately got sucked into the whole analog-modular thing and am now deep into the, “Kids! Collect ‘em all!” stage.

Right off, thanks to everyone for all the advice and ideas I’ve picked up while lurking the past few weeks! I’m left with a couple of questions:

First, it seems like I’ve got to do something about an envelope generator/follower. It looks like the MF-101 is a reasonable choice (read, “reasonably affordable”), though an ADSR generator would be more desirable. Is my thinking flawed here? What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Second, since I have a couple of MIDI capable keyboards (prominently a Nord Lead 3 analog modeling synth) I can’t resist the idea of “playing” the foogers with them, so now I want a MIDI/CV converter to do so. Having googled around I came up with the Doepfer MCV4 as a likely candidate. Am I right? Anyone use one? Should I be looking elsewhere?

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:02 pm

the synthesizers.com may have what you are looking for with the Env. Gen and the Midi/cv converter, at the most affordable price. THe initial investment will be a cabinet and power supply with whatever module that you buy but the subsequent modules will be a lot cheaper than most (and are practically Moog Clones).

I myself am going a bit more of an expensive route for actual Moog modules. An Envelope Generator is $440 to your door with no cabinet, rack or power supply, but it is an authentic Moog reproduction built by former (original) Moog Music Tech Mike Bucki from moogce.com with the leftovers from the original Moog Factories in New York.

Heres a link to a semi current price list:
http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=30

Other than that, one thing I definately want to get my hands on is the new Mp-201 pedal from Moog which lets you "Play" your Moogerfoogers by the way of storing "presets" and modulating up to 4 of them simultaneously.

Hope this information helps.

Welcome to the site and congrats on seeing a bit of Moog History way back then!

Respectfully,
EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Another good option for MIDI-CV is the Kenton Pro Solo II. Although that won't help you with an EG.

Just to plant the seeds of total abandon ... If money's not an object you could also get a Moog Voyager with the CV breakout box. That lets you send pitch CV and also all kinds of other things (including envelopes) between the Moogerfoogers and the Voyager, and makes for a very flexible semi-modular system.

GregAE

Re: MIDI /CV converters

Post by GregAE » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:14 pm

ChinaPig wrote:...since I have a couple of MIDI capable keyboards (prominently a Nord Lead 3 analog modeling synth) I can’t resist the idea of “playing” the foogers with them, so now I want a MIDI/CV converter to do so. Having googled around I came up with the Doepfer MCV4 as a likely candidate. Am I right? Anyone use one? Should I be looking elsewhere?
Check out the Future-Retro Mobius. It's a rack-mount sequencer that will also work as a MIDI->CV converter (you could think of it as buying a MIDI->CV converter and getting a sequencer for free...) :)

ChinaPig

Post by ChinaPig » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Excellent! Thanks to all of you! Glad to have some more candidates for my equipment needs and also some more sales sites to look at. The idea of going for real Moog modules sure is tempting. Not to mention picking up a Voyager! Unfortunately, money is an object so I think I might wait till the economy bottoms out before I drop quite that much, though.

davemoog

Post by davemoog » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:47 pm

The Doepfer MCV4 MIDI-to-CV/Gate Interface works very well as is quite reasonable in price. <http://www.doepfer.de/mcv4.htm>

ChinaPig

Post by ChinaPig » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 am

Thanks Dave, that's what I was hoping to hear. The price is definitely pulling me in that direction.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am

Well you might not have to wait much longer, China, but the real thing is that we have to hope that Modular SYnthesis reaches its most unpopular level EVER do drive the market prices down.

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.