freqbox vs. mothership

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
redeyeflight

freqbox vs. mothership

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Anyone heard anything about this pigtronix mothership guitar synth? Apparently its something like the freqbox...vco that tracks pitch...looks like they added portamento to it though and also some sort of "intelligent" ring modulator that also tracks pitch. Sounds pretty cool in the demos on harmony-central's namm 08 videos. What do you guys think? Personally I've never tried any of their stuff but this looks pretty interesting. Here's a link to the pics: http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/01 ... nalog.html

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:34 pm

Ask eeg :)

ColorForm2113

FreqBox Wins

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 am

check out the video here --->http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08/ just scroll down the video toolbar until you find pigtronix

it seems like what one failed to cover the other picked up on
Mothership has portamento and suboctave, but only has to wave forms and no modulation otherthan the pitch bend
but the FreqBox has continuous wave form adjustment, FM, an envelope, and many more possible control options, but lacks portamento and sub octave (which can be an easy fix since there are 4 billion octave pedals out there for pretty cheap)
as far as the "intelligent Ringmod" i wasnt too impressed. i like my ring mods to sound like they were held back a few grades.

since i have yet to personally play either of them my opinion is based only on demo videos, im going to have to put my money on the FreqBox

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:56 pm

It will be awesome....haha

Yeah, the freqbox and the mothership are very different beasts that fulfill different needs......

....personally I think the mothership sounds way more awesome then any demos I have heard of the freqbox....but maybe i'm just biased :wink:

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm

both look nice.

what is the pricetag going to be on the mothership?
Electronic Violinist here

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 am

we might have to wait and see about that since I am not in charge of price points...but we are working out some additional knobs not seen in the prototype pictures

analoghaze

Post by analoghaze » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:48 am

More knobs are always a good thing.

8)
Music can Name the Unnamable and Communicate the Unknowable.

'I am... everything is... changed... they're calling... your face... interwoven... who is...' Patient mumbles inaudibly to a tune (sounds like 'Thanks for the memory).

toryjames

Post by toryjames » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:47 am

Man, the Pigtronix stuff looks ugly. I can't bring myself to use equipment that looks that ugly.

nathan

Post by nathan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:05 pm

wow, that thing is sweeet!
and come one, it's what you do with it.
i got rid of my moog stuff, cause it looked too pretty.
;)
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:00 pm

If its P-Funk's Mothership....I think they already have a Moog on it!

and I think Herbie has one on his ship too so...

Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 pm

bosshog wrote:Man, the Pigtronix stuff looks ugly. I can't bring myself to use equipment that looks that ugly.
....just as long as you don't make fun of the circuits boards....
:lol:

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:24 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:
bosshog wrote:Man, the Pigtronix stuff looks ugly. I can't bring myself to use equipment that looks that ugly.
....just as long as you don't make fun of the circuits boards....
:lol:
shot in the dark here... but im guessing you work for pigtronix? lol
PS i the attack sustain is awesome

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:05 am

Hey - I didn't know eeg worked on the Pigtronix stuff - cool. I've been carefully watching those boxes and although at first didn't like gimmick it's growing on me ;-) I really like the electro-harmonix-style knobs though...at least they look like them...I assume they feel like them too. I will say the external design (knob layout, switch style and paint, etc. look really nice.)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:45 pm

i think the portamento on the mothership is really going to be the key to getting a true synth-style sound out of the guitar. personally i love the freqbox but to me it sounds more like a really wicked, insane fuzz than a synth. Anyway, cant wait for the mothership....hopefully it's not as expensive as the new moog multi-pedal!!! That thing is freaking ridiculously expensive for what it does!!

roboctopus

Post by roboctopus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:00 am

Whoa. I gotta say, the mothership sounds killer. Redeye is right, the portamento... That's the synthy kicker. The ultimate pedal would be some combination of the two. Mothership with sync and fm sounds. I have synths and guitars, but if I was trying to make a guitar sound like a synth, I think I'd go for the mothership. Portamento on a guitar is worth the price of admission. Then - of course - you run that through the mf-101 with some resonance.
What does this button do?

LP Stage II, Dead Prodigy, Juno 60, MF-101 & 102, CP-251, guitars, bass, banjo, and the almighty glockenspiel/melodica combo