Whats Next...aghhh

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
Radio Lab

Whats Next...aghhh

Post by Radio Lab » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Well, its time for me to add my 3 cents. When I saw it, I had to do a
double- take... like what the Eff is this thing...and then the price I said whoooo wow, slow down there guys. I just hadnt read of ONE person that felt this peice was so necessary for their rig that it just had to me made...I'm just a little pissed cause I thought (I mean really thought) that the folks over at Moog watch over this forum like religiously and takes the pulse of us Buyers, sorry, I mean players... to see what be the general concensus of OUR NEEDS. I can think of a half dozen would-be MFers that would complete the ANALOG MFer chain. like maybe that elusive 8) Sequenser that everybody (incl. me) has asked for.

I dont know guys, maybe Im just a tad jaded from all of the home-runs that Moog makes where it just becomes unacceptable when its a mere triple or even a good 'ol reliable base hit. Anywayz - OK...there, I said it !! (and I still feel shity) and hoping this doesnt also fall upon deaf ears. Oh well, :oops:
Peace.

Sidewind

Post by Sidewind » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 am

It sounds like you might be referring to the new MP-201. While I understand your disappointment that it was not a new product that you feel is great, please do not include us who find this product and it's potential simply amazing. For some of us, this is a godsend by allowing one to pull off performances that would be impossible or near impossible any other way. Remember, not everything that is released by a company is going to be what you like or can necessarily use. For example, I have no use for the piano bar product from Moog. But I have to admit it that it is a great product for someone who owns a piano and wants to "electrify" it. Pure genius actually.

I, too, have submitted many suggestions to Moog for new products and have a list of things that I would like someone to make, but the reality is I know that most of them will probably never be made in my lifetime. That is the nature of business. There is not a single company in the world that can make everything that everyone wants, exactly the way that they want them to be. We are all just too diverse as humans, let alone musicians.

My suggestion to you is to let it go and focus on making great music. There will be many more products coming from Moog - some of them will be here sooner than later. Start looking forward to what is coming ahead. I guarantee that there will be something released that will blow your mind. After all, we are talking about Moog here! :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:29 am

I think its a safe bet to say that Moog hasn't done anything in the last 50 years EXCEPT blow minds.

I really love Moog!

Can the guys from gearwire or you guys at Moog put a youtube video up demonstrating the Mp-201?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:59 am

EricK wrote:I think its a safe bet to say that Moog hasn't done anything in the last 50 years EXCEPT blow minds.

I really love Moog!

Can the guys from gearwire or you guys at Moog put a youtube video up demonstrating the Mp-201?
+1 I'm very excited about the MP-201. Midi syncable LFO's will make tinkering around with complex Moogerfooger patches much more musical!

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:46 am

I do agree with Radio Lab in one sense, as there have been many suggestions for new products posted to this site, never once have I seen anyone ask for programmable pedal for the MF line, especially something that generates no sound of its own and lists for $499! While the new MP-201 may be exactly what some people have been looking for, the vast majority would have preferred something that would be mounted in the standard pedal sized or CP-251 style enclosure and would look at home with the rest of the MF line. Instead, they engineered a new product that they needed to create a new type of enclosure for and they needed to program some digital controls unlike the rest of the MF line.

My personal opinion is that they will not sell many of this unit, but they would have sold many more of a simple analog sequencer, Pitch to CV, Envelope Generator, or any other type of pedal or module that would retail for $250 to $350 and help to complete the "new Moog Modular".

I just do not know how their Marketing, Research, Engineering and Design group work together to put forth finished products, but I do feel that there was a big disconnect from the end users on this product.

That being said, the MP-201 would have been a great addition to the lineup after they had added a few more MF's and turned their attention to performance controls.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:13 am

I have no idea how many Moog will sell but they will sell at least one to me. Can't wait. I think it will be a product that I never new I needed but will not be able to live without.

djghostdogg

AGREED

Post by djghostdogg » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:57 am

they would have sold many more of a simple analog sequencer, Pitch to CV, Envelope Generator, or any other type of pedal or module that would retail for $250 to $350 and help to complete the "new Moog Modular".

YES!!!! :roll:

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:13 pm

at first i was very turned off by the MP, but as ive been thinking about it that would be pretty cool to have that much more control, esspecially with it hooked up to the CP-251. i dont really have need for the midi aspect of it so the price is a little too steep for me. but maybe later on down the line. i think its a winner :wink:

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Man i tell you what, its not exclusive, but my partner and I work with software synths all the time. See, I have the hardware gear and he has the computer/midi controller.

They have the arturia Mini/Modular softsynths and did you guys know that they even have some Fooger emulators out there? (Supposedly 4 of them) I haven't seen them but imagine having a studio that consisted of Reason or Ableton Live (Software) which has the sequencers, and being able to use your actual Moog gear as a slave to your software.

I know that CV to Midi converters aren't new.

Now, while Im aware that it has 4 LFO's and all, im still not clear on its functionality, but it seems as if its a Midi/CV converter then you can adjust your analog gear with the software and it shoudl work the other way around.

How many of you wished that you had an extra set of hands or legs to turn more knobs or to play more than i instrument at a time. WIth this pedal you may be able to do just that.

You might have heard about taking your live performance controls that you do on the voyager, sending them to a computer and essentially PLAYING your voyager with Midi, well if im not totally mistaken, with the Mp-201 you can add the Foogers to the mix.

I think that this will really free up the artist from being a slave to his gear and let him or her focus on making the music.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:22 pm

SteveD wrote:With a setup with multiple moogerfoogers, a Voyager, and an LP - if you want to use an expression pedal for adjusting certain things while you play -it is likely that you would need multiple pedals. That takes up a lot of space and demands a bit of "choreography" in getting from one pedal to the next. Another option would be to have a single expression pedal, and re-patch it to the inputs that you want when you need to use it. In performance, that's not very convenient.

So in its most basic function the MP-201 is a single expression pedal with four outputs, and you can select which of the four outputs are used. You can output on all four channels simultaneously, or just one at a time. Or anything in between.

It gets more advanced than this - you can program the depth and even the direction of the outputs - Say one output goes 0 to +5, one goes +2 to +1, one goes +4 to +5, and another goes +5 to 0. This is all from the same motion of the one expression pedal on the MP-201. This is how you can "morph" from one group of CV settings to another. With a single moogerfooger, like the ring mod - you can think of it as having presets for your moogerfooger, and having the ability to morph between "presets" of the moogerfooger.

Beyond that the outputs can also be configured as LFOs, with the expression pedal controlling either rate or amount. LFOs on different channels can be independent or synced together - and there are several waveforms to choose from.

So there's a LOT this thing can do for any CV setup.

There is also a MIDI output so most of the same things (except fast LFOs) that can be output by the MP-201's CV outputs can be output as MIDI CCs.

Hope that helps a little - it's a deep product! There's even more it will do, but that's a quick synopsis... You have to use your imagination to come up with ideas that are useful to your music.

SD

Talking about a product that will be awesome for a modular setup.....this sounds like its it.

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:20 pm

EricK wrote:
SteveD wrote:With a setup with multiple moogerfoogers, a Voyager, and an LP - if you want to use an expression pedal for adjusting certain things while you play -it is likely that you would need multiple pedals. That takes up a lot of space and demands a bit of "choreography" in getting from one pedal to the next. Another option would be to have a single expression pedal, and re-patch it to the inputs that you want when you need to use it. In performance, that's not very convenient.

So in its most basic function the MP-201 is a single expression pedal with four outputs, and you can select which of the four outputs are used. You can output on all four channels simultaneously, or just one at a time. Or anything in between.

It gets more advanced than this - you can program the depth and even the direction of the outputs - Say one output goes 0 to +5, one goes +2 to +1, one goes +4 to +5, and another goes +5 to 0. This is all from the same motion of the one expression pedal on the MP-201. This is how you can "morph" from one group of CV settings to another. With a single moogerfooger, like the ring mod - you can think of it as having presets for your moogerfooger, and having the ability to morph between "presets" of the moogerfooger.

Beyond that the outputs can also be configured as LFOs, with the expression pedal controlling either rate or amount. LFOs on different channels can be independent or synced together - and there are several waveforms to choose from.

So there's a LOT this thing can do for any CV setup.

There is also a MIDI output so most of the same things (except fast LFOs) that can be output by the MP-201's CV outputs can be output as MIDI CCs.

Hope that helps a little - it's a deep product! There's even more it will do, but that's a quick synopsis... You have to use your imagination to come up with ideas that are useful to your music.

SD
Talking about a product that will be awesome for a modular setup.....this sounds like its it.
I agree with this post, though I too was waiting for a sequencer, ASDR, Pitch to CV or other mf'er.

My brother and I had concepted this same idea, to connect 1 expression pedal to a switch box so that you could control multiple parameters with 1 very nice exp pedal (like the Alesis F2, or a modded Ernie Ball...).

Of course, the kicker is you'd have to develop some circuitry that can "remember" the CV of say, delay feedback so that when you switch away from it, the parameter remains the same. Probably not too difficult, we were chatting with a friend about how to do it..

We didn't get much further in a few months than a few bar meetings and logic diagrams on a paper napkin before the news about the MP-201 came out.

It's all that and more - for live use, being able to recall settings without trying to "dial them in" is pretty awesome if you are someone with multiple foogers, and who uses different settings in a show situation.

So we both ordered one, (it'll be a few months) and I'm anxiously awaiting the shipment (I think April?).

We aren't abandoning our idea though, the MP-201 is quite expensive. MIDI interface is cool, but alot of people won't use it. So our idea is still a valid one, and would sell for a hell of a lot less.

Col. Monk

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:35 am

Man you know, i might be biased, but if everyone really wants an Envelope Generator....why not just have one built?

Its expensive though. modusonics.com

or you can get a dotcom modular and get all of that. But if you love Moog like I do then hehehe its worth the price.

911 Env Gen

$665 bucks will get you the Module, Power and a rack frame. Then you need a V to S-trig cord ($twenty-eight) and youd have enough power and space to hold 7 more modules! hell I know its a lot but its worth it in the end.....and its a Moog!
hehehe

As soon as I get my taxes im getting a Cp-251, 921b Osc, power and the 104z.

Can't wait! I hope to get the MFs on the Grammy sale so I can get a rebate! hehehe

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:59 am

EricK wrote: or you can get a dotcom modular and get all of that.
The reson that I went with the MF line to start with instead of a dotcom, doepfer, AS, etc.... Modular system is that each piece could stand on its own without having to purchase a separate, expensive power supply and case. If I did go the modular route, I would not need to purchase the MF line, as the modules cost less than the MF pedals and would be easier to use as they would be contained within the modular cabinet.

I just ordered the MF-102, and I may order an MF-107 later this spring or fall, but I was waiting to see what Moog would be offering this year. Instead of the MP-201, I will be buying a hardware CV sequencer this spring, either a FR Mobius, MFB Step 64, or Chimera SM-16.

If I was working in the software realm, I would not have a need to purchase the MF hardware line, as I could buy emulations of foogers for a much lower price and everything could be controlled and changed very easily with sequencers.

I do not use any computers for making my music, and I don't use even much MIDI (outside of a drum machine). Using 3 or 4 pedals for controlling my foogers does not take up a lot of space or require much choreography.
MF 102,White MF 103, MF 105B, Minitaur, and an LP Stage II w/ CV Out Mod as well!

Sidewind

Post by Sidewind » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:04 pm

If you are looking for a CV sequencer, may I suggest the Doepfer MAQ 16/3? It is a little more pricey than the others but is an excellent sequencer that offers more dedicated realtime control knobs. Another excellent sequencer is the Oberkorn from Analogue Solutions. Both of these also have midi should you ever acquire a device that is midi only. With that said, both the FR Mobius and MFB Step 64 are also excellent sequencers, but do not have dedicated real-time control knobs. They are much less expensive though...

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:06 pm

Actually for that money, the synthesizers.com Q119 would fit the bill as well. My budget is more along the line of the Mobius or MFB.