Blew up a Brand New Freq Box

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
EricK

Blew up a Brand New Freq Box

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:41 pm

My buddy hooked up a 24DB (so he said) power supply to his brand new Freq box and saw sparks. Now when the regular power supply is inserted there is a constant red light on the level meter and no sound will go through.

I wonder how much it will take to fix it.

I dreamed that it could still send CV's though lol

WHen i read in the manual that it would drift in cold tempetures he said "I wonder if thats the case" I told him he was in denial.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:57 am

Hey, did your buddy ever find out how much it will cost to get his Freq box fixed? I'll bet that he was far beyond pissed after frying $330 bucks. I know I would be.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 pm

I don't know man, I think that he has a "Friend of a friend who mods pedals" he wants to get a Electro Harmonix pedal like the english Muffin or the Big muff and combine the two with some kind of a blend knob. I told him "Why don't you just daizy chain the two together and just use the Mix knob?" Whether or not he will listen to reason is unclear at this point.

See, I have never seen 2 MF pedals side by side, and I was really wanting to use the CV options together for myself to see what thats really like in person and when I got there his pedal was fried. I was going to use the open system of my MicroMoog and the Ring Mod in different ways to see what they are capable of because I was really thinking about getting one but I didn't get the chance to even hear it in person.

I also think that its a tad bit on the Blasphemy side to augment a Moog lololol.

He thinks that it woudl be one of a kind though. I advised him to make sure if he does it that he won't kill his CV options. Id hate for him to waste half of the great circuitry that he hasn't even explored just to have some uncertified friend of a friend "mod" his pedal out.

Unless that guy coudl really do wonders. heheh

I also don't think that money is an option for him lololoo. I wish that i coudl say the same thing for myself.

HEHEHEH

ERIC

nathan

Post by nathan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:51 pm

jeez
2-piece drumkit/4x diy-triggers/1x diy-mixer-preamp/2x clavia micromodular

crs.one

Post by crs.one » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:30 pm

friends don't let friends burn foogers.
crs.one

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Are there drugs involved here? The explanation is totally unclear.

I'm not sure what's happening. What is a 24DB power supply? I have never seen one measured in DB (do you mean DBu? Even that is a super odd measurement for a power supply) A 14volt power supply shouldn't have been too much? 14V generally equates to around 25DBu if that's what you're meaning, and if that's what you plugged in then you should be ok.

There's no voodoo inside the pedal, and fixing it shouldnt' be hard. I'm sure that you didn't blow up anything big or expensive inside. The PCB is fine, as are all passives, likely most of the ICs, and any jacks/pots obviously are ok. The LEDs are still lighting, so you didn't overcurrent those. I don't have a freqbox. Is there a voltage regulator that perhaps you blew? Even that should be fine, or a simply $2 replacement.

Have you called Amos? Got a scope? I'm sure it can be fixed.
Signature #144

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:29 pm

hehe,
Well i repeated everything that my good buddy told me. NO sound comes through it at all.

I have yet to find out what he had done about it.

I didn't know what a 24DB power plug is either lol.

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:31 pm

If he thinks he's totally blown it, I'll take it off his hands. I haven't found any piece of gear so far that I was unable to fix really, so it should be fine for me. It would help him with money, and help me get a cheaper freqbox
Signature #144